It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:33 pm

Gadgets 7.6.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
Kaboloy

Re: Gadgets 7.3.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by Kaboloy »

Thank you, SilverAzide!
SilverAzide wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 5:17 pm Hello! The issue you are having with needing to run HWiNFO and Rainmeter as an admin is a known problem.

The source of the issue is how HWiNFO uses the registry to store sensor data. The Rainmeter and HWiNFO developers discussed this but the final decision was to leave things as they are, because changing the way HWiNFO works would break a lot of skins. So unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about this. To simplify things, you could create a small batch file to run both HWiNFO and Rainmeter elevated so that you don't have to run them separately and enter your password twice, but it won't solve your problem... it will only make it slightly less annoying.
Interesting! I already thought something like that.
You are right that problem affects only Windows users with user account (for net-access or the like) and full access at an administrative account on the same PC. With the proviso that Rainmeter runs under the user account.
What can I do? Both programs start with admin rights (as has been done before) and thereby access to the same registry keys?
Is there no security problem under the user account? Because Rainmeter have a permanent internet access...

Couldn't I copy the keys from the HKEY_USERS into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch or whatever give access to non-admin user account?
I don't understand why isn't it possible to choose an option during the installation process of HWiNFO in which registry branch should it write (only one option selectable). No practicable possibility?
Ok, a batch-file is a work-around and would make it easier but still both run with advanced privileges.
How would that batch-file have to look?
SilverAzide wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 5:17 pm Having a CPU fan speed sensor that reports speed (RPM) and not having one that reports usage (%) is normal. The CPU Meter will calculate the percentage for you. Make sure you enter a value for the maximum CPU fan speed.

fan.png

If you don't see something like this, post a screenshot or let me know what your settings are.
I set the max. fan speed to 2000rpm but the workload is not displayed. Also the CPU Tctl/Tdie temp. is at all times 0 °C.
My settings for the CPU fan are:
; ------------------------------------------ Motherboard -------------------------------------------
;
; CPU fan speed (RPM); one fan per physical CPU
HWiNFO_MOBO_CPUFanSpeed=2
HWiNFO_MOBO_CPU1FanSpeed=
HWiNFO_MOBO_CPU2FanSpeed=
HWiNFO_MOBO_CPU3FanSpeed=

; --------------------------------------------- Fans -----------------------------------------------
;
; maximum fan speeds (used for hardware that cannot report fan usage as a percentage)
;
; NOTE: If higher fan speeds than shown here are encountered, GPU Meter/All CPU Meter will
; automatically correct these values to the new maximum speed if FanMaxAutoUpdate is set to 1.
; Set FanMaxAutoUpdate=0 to prevent GPU Meter/All CPU Meter from adjusting the maximum values.
;
FanCpuMax=2000
FanGpuMax=1365
FanMaxAutoUpdate=1
That's all I can find.
I would find it better if instead of percentages, the fan rotations per minute were displayed.
Maybe it's only a config issue...
?

1000 thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Kaboloy wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 10:44 pm You are right that problem affects only Windows users with user account (for net-access or the like) and full access at an administrative account on the same PC. With the proviso that Rainmeter runs under the user account.
What can I do? Both programs start with admin rights (as has been done before) and thereby access to the same registry keys?
Is there no security problem under the user account? Because Rainmeter have a permanent internet access...

Couldn't I copy the keys from the HKEY_USERS into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch or whatever give access to non-admin user account?
I don't understand why isn't it possible to choose an option during the installation process of HWiNFO in which registry branch should it write (only one option selectable). No practicable possibility?
The problem is that HWiNFO writes sensor info in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch. So when you run HWiNFO as the admin user, this is not "your" HKCU branch, it is the admin user's HKCU branch. So because of this, you have to run Rainmeter elevated too. I asked Martin (the author of HWiNFO) if he could change this to write to HKLM, but he didn't want to. He was concerned it could break a lot of skins or old sidebar gadgets if he did it. So there is no chance he will change this, I asked and he already said no. :confused:
Kaboloy wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 10:44 pm Ok, a batch-file is a work-around and would make it easier but still both run with advanced privileges.
How would that batch-file have to look?
I will get back to you later on this. I need a little time to think about it, but the best way is with a Powershell script, as it allows prompting for elevation. Otherwise, you can just create a command batch file that runs HWiNFO and Rainmeter one after another, and you just right-click the batch file and select "Run As administrator".
Kaboloy wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 10:44 pm I would find it better if instead of percentages, the fan rotations per minute were displayed.
Maybe it's only a config issue...
Yes, it is a config issue. You will see both RPM and percentage once it is working (as shown in my screenshot). Something is wrong someplace, because it appears you have the fans set properly. For the CPU temperature, make sure you have your HWiNFO configuration set like this:

Code: Select all

; CPU #0 maximum current core temperature (degrees)
;   NOTE: for Intel CPUs and some AMD CPUs, this sensor reports the maximum temperature of all cores
;   NOTE: for some AMD CPUs that do not have a maximum temperature sensor, set the following value
;         to the index of the sensor corresponding to the die temperature (Tdie) or CCD package
;         (Tctl/Tdie)
HWiNFO_CPU0_DTS_CoreMax=1
From what you posted, it appears your CPU die temperature is index #1.

Regarding the fan, please post your complete HWiNFO.inc file if you can't get it working.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Atariflops

Post by Atariflops »

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. Currently using the cpu meter gadget and it has seperated my cpu into nodes. On a previous install it just listed all threads on a single gadget.

Currently showing 12 cores when it used to be 24.

I have tried researching online and on this forum but still do not have a solution.

What have I overlooked?

TIA
alexis92

Post by alexis92 »

This is very intricate, nice work! I'll be sure to give this a go!
Kaboloy

Post by Kaboloy »

Hello and sorry for my time out! :)
SilverAzide wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 2:13 am The problem is that HWiNFO writes sensor info in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch. So when you run HWiNFO as the admin user, this is not "your" HKCU branch, it is the admin user's HKCU branch. So because of this, you have to run Rainmeter elevated too. I asked Martin (the author of HWiNFO) if he could change this to write to HKLM, but he didn't want to. He was concerned it could break a lot of skins or old sidebar gadgets if he did it. So there is no chance he will change this, I asked and he already said no. :confused:
Okay, that's too bad. :-(
SilverAzide wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 2:13 am I will get back to you later on this. I need a little time to think about it, but the best way is with a Powershell script, as it allows prompting for elevation. Otherwise, you can just create a command batch file that runs HWiNFO and Rainmeter one after another, and you just right-click the batch file and select "Run As administrator".
That's nice, thanks for thinking about it!
Ok, and about the batch script: I will see to find information in the net how to create it.
Is it safe to do so?
SilverAzide wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 2:13 am Yes, it is a config issue. You will see both RPM and percentage once it is working (as shown in my screenshot). Something is wrong someplace, because it appears you have the fans set properly. For the CPU temperature, make sure you have your HWiNFO configuration set like this:

; CPU #0 maximum current core temperature (degrees)
;   NOTE: for Intel CPUs and some AMD CPUs, this sensor reports the maximum temperature of all cores
;   NOTE: for some AMD CPUs that do not have a maximum temperature sensor, set the following value
;         to the index of the sensor corresponding to the die temperature (Tdie) or CCD package
;         (Tctl/Tdie)
HWiNFO_CPU0_DTS_CoreMax=1
From what you posted, it appears your CPU die temperature is index #1.

Regarding the fan, please post your complete HWiNFO.inc file if you can't get it working.
If I read it correctly, I have this line you posted just as it is in the HWiNFO.inc. Where can the error lie for the non-display of the fan workload and CPU Tctl/Tdie temp?
I can attach my HWiNFO config file if you like. Unfortunately, I do not know what to do next. :???:

Thank you! :thumbup:

Attachment:
HWiNFO.inc.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Atariflops wrote: May 25th, 2022, 1:03 pm I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. Currently using the cpu meter gadget and it has seperated my cpu into nodes. On a previous install it just listed all threads on a single gadget.

Currently showing 12 cores when it used to be 24.

I have tried researching online and on this forum but still do not have a solution.

What have I overlooked?

TIA
Hello! If the CPU Meter is showing nodes, then you must be running a machine that is in NUMA mode, correct? When in NUMA mode, you can see the other node (node 1) by opening the Node #1 CPU Meter. Your existing gadget is showing Node #0, so open Node #1 and you'll see the rest of your cores (right-click and select Gadgets > All CPU Meter > Node #1 > All CPU Meter.ini). This should also show the proper memory for each node.

If your machine is NOT running in NUMA mode, let me know, as there might be a bug in the hardware detection someplace.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Kaboloy wrote: May 25th, 2022, 2:55 pm If I read it correctly, I have this line you posted just as it is in the HWiNFO.inc. Where can the error lie for the non-display of the fan workload and CPU Tctl/Tdie temp?
I can attach my HWiNFO config file if you like. Unfortunately, I do not know what to do next. :???:
Ah, OK, I see the problem. You didn't configure any of your CPU core clocks or core temperatures. It appears the only thing you configured is the CPU fan sensor and GPU sensors, which is not enough, you need to do everything per the instructions. Without this, the CPU Meter gadget is ignoring HWiNFO because the configuration is mostly missing, thus you see no temps and no fans.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Kaboloy wrote: May 25th, 2022, 2:55 pm Ok, and about the batch script: I will see to find information in the net how to create it.
Is it safe to do so?
Sure, it should be as safe as any other web search. There's no magic about creating batch files, it's pretty simple.

One way to run HWiNFO and Rainmeter with a single click is to create a Powershell script that self-elevates. If you are not an administrator, then the script will prompt you for the username and password of the admin account. There is no avoiding this, but at least you will only have to enter this information once instead of twice.

Here is a Powershell script:

#
# this Powershell script runs Rainmeter and HWiNFO as elevated processes, prompting for elevation if
# needed
#
If (-Not ([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal] [Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole]::Administrator)) {
  # relaunch as an elevated process
  Start-Process powershell.exe "-File ",('"{0}"' -f $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path) -Verb RunAs
  Exit
}

# run HWiNFO
& "$($Env:ProgramFiles)\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64.exe"

# run Rainmeter
& "$($Env:ProgramFiles)\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe"
This script assumes you have installed both Rainmeter and HWiNFO normally (i.e., not as portable installs). If you are using portable installations, you'll need to edit the script. Copy this code to a text file with the extension ".ps1" (for example, "RunRainmeterElevated.ps1"). Put this file anywhere you want, someplace where you won't forget it (and not in the Rainmeter installation folder or Gadgets folders).

Next, right-click your desktop and select New > Shortcut. When prompted for the location of the item, enter the following:

powershell.exe -File "<path to the script you created>\RunRainmeterElevated.ps1"
Click Next and when prompted for the name, enter something like "Run Rainmeter". That will create a shortcut on your desktop with that name.

If you have not already disabled Rainmeter from running when Windows starts, re-install Rainmeter and uncheck the option to run when Windows starts. Or if you know how, just delete the Rainmeter shortcut from the "Startup" folder (NOT the Start menu).

Now, when you log into Windows, just click the "Run Rainmeter" icon to start the process. You can also right-click and select "Run as administrator", if you prefer (works either way).
Kaboloy

Post by Kaboloy »

SilverAzide wrote: May 25th, 2022, 4:34 pm Ah, OK, I see the problem. You didn't configure any of your CPU core clocks or core temperatures. It appears the only thing you configured is the CPU fan sensor and GPU sensors, which is not enough, you need to do everything per the instructions. Without this, the CPU Meter gadget is ignoring HWiNFO because the configuration is mostly missing, thus you see no temps and no fans.
Aha, must I configure all core clocks and temps (6 cores/ 12 threads)?
Ok, I will do so if I have a little bit more time because I must new configured the indexes if I see it correctly.
Thank you for the hint! This seems very useful! :thumbup:
SilverAzide wrote: May 25th, 2022, 5:19 pm Sure, it should be as safe as any other web search. There's no magic about creating batch files, it's pretty simple.

One way to run HWiNFO and Rainmeter with a single click is to create a Powershell script that self-elevates. If you are not an administrator, then the script will prompt you for the username and password of the admin account. There is no avoiding this, but at least you will only have to enter this information once instead of twice.
Thank you for the info! However, I meant it a bit differently (I'm sure it was because of my poor English :oops: ): namely, the risk of running the application with extended privileges.
I became a little unsure because of the developer's statement here and here. He wrote (in 2019 and 2017 - ok, it's been a long time):
"Rainmeter is by design not "secure" enough to be used in that environment." "As far as distributing it in general in a work environment, nothing precludes that, given the above of course, but it's not designed to be "secure". The end-user can install skins they get from who knows where, they can change any skin you give out, and for at least some users, you are just putting a "toy" on their machine that doesn't seem like a good fit for a business environment to me. I personally would never allow it on any machine in a workplace I controlled." "...and in fact Rainmeter is pretty aggressively "open" in nature, and will actively resist any control. You are going to have to depend on the facilities of Windows itself to make this as secure as possible."
I don't know exactly what he means by that. It just had me a little unsettled in that regard.
SilverAzide wrote: May 25th, 2022, 5:19 pm Here is a Powershell script:

#
# this Powershell script runs Rainmeter...
This script assumes you have installed both Rainmeter and HWiNFO normally (i.e., not as portable installs). If you are using portable installations, you'll need to edit the script. Copy this code to a text file with the extension ".ps1" (for example, "RunRainmeterElevated.ps1"). Put this file anywhere you want, someplace where you won't forget it (and not in the Rainmeter installation folder or Gadgets folders).

Next, right-click your desktop and select New > Shortcut. When prompted for the location of the item, enter the following:

powershell.exe -File "<path to the script you created>\RunRainmeterElevated.ps1"
Click Next and when prompted for the name, enter something like "Run Rainmeter". That will create a shortcut on your desktop with that name.

If you have not already disabled Rainmeter from running when Windows starts, re-install Rainmeter and uncheck the option to run when Windows starts. Or if you know how, just delete the Rainmeter shortcut from the "Startup" folder (NOT the Start menu).

Now, when you log into Windows, just click the "Run Rainmeter" icon to start the process. You can also right-click and select "Run as administrator", if you prefer (works either way).
Yes, I do so how you wrote. After start of the shortcut it changed the destination (under Right click->Properties) in C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -File "<my path to the script file>\RunRainmeterElevated.ps1" :confused:
Only a 0,2 second black pop-up window on my desktop and nothing more.
It doesn't matter whether I left-clicked oder right-clicked and select "Run as administrator".
Rainmeter start with Windows is disabled.
PowerShell.png
Sorry, I have no clue about PowerShell-scripts. :oops:
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Kaboloy wrote: May 25th, 2022, 8:17 pm Yes, I do so how you wrote. After start of the shortcut it changed the destination (under Right click->Properties) in C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -File "<my path to the script file>\RunRainmeterElevated.ps1" :confused:
Only a 0,2 second black pop-up window on my desktop and nothing more.
It doesn't matter whether I left-clicked oder right-clicked and select "Run as administrator".
Rainmeter start with Windows is disabled.
PowerShell.png
Sorry, I have no clue about PowerShell-scripts. :oops:
OK, it sounds like the path to the powershell script is incorrect. Or else you don't have a standard install of HWiNFO or something. If you open a command prompt and enter the command:

& "<path to the script you created>\RunRainmeterElevated.ps1"
the script should run. Obviously, please replace the <path to the script you created> text with the proper path where you saved the file. If you get an error, post it here.