It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:42 am

Rounded Screen Corners

General topics related to Rainmeter.
justachild

Re: Rounded Screen Corners

Post by justachild »

Yincognito wrote: March 13th, 2022, 11:45 am Yeah, the thing is, while Rainmeter can simulate that with a skin, it won't be able to do that in software it has no control over, like for example, the games you mentioned.
I understand. My friend is working to make it work in fullescreen, if it works I will share it here.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

justachild wrote: March 17th, 2022, 4:52 am I understand. My friend is working to make it work in fullescreen, if it works I will share it here.
Ok then - I'd be curious to see the result. ;-)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

justachild wrote: March 17th, 2022, 4:52 am My friend is working to make it work in fullescreen, if it works I will share it here.
Not sure I follow. Let's see if I understood your intention. You want Rainmeter to take control over how the window of a game, which is not running in Rainmeter, is looking? And this is what your friend is working on?
Unless I misunderstood something, I'd be extremely curious to see how will be this implemented...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 17th, 2022, 4:38 pm Not sure I follow. Let's see if I understood your intention. You want Rainmeter to take control over how the window of a game, which is not running in Rainmeter, is looking? And this is what your friend is working on?
Unless I misunderstood something, I'd be extremely curious to see how will be this implemented...
It looks like for the first time, we're on the same page here, regarding what's possible or not in Rainmeter... :sly:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 17th, 2022, 7:01 pm It looks like for the first time, we're on the same page here, regarding what's possible or not in Rainmeter... :sly:
:thumbup: Good point...
stupd

Post by stupd »

justachild wrote: March 12th, 2022, 3:51 pm This doesn't work in fullscreen games. I have turned off game mode in rainmeter.
Anyway to make this settings stick even while gaming full screen ?
One workaround is setting the game to Windowed Fullscreen mode and setting the Rounded Corners overlay to "Stay Topmost".

Works for me ;-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

stupd wrote: April 6th, 2022, 11:07 pm One workaround is setting the game to Windowed Fullscreen mode and setting the Rounded Corners overlay to "Stay Topmost".

Works for me ;-)
Sure, but not all games have the ability to run in windowed mode, game performance is generally different from the one in full D3D screen, if the window is not maximized and the mouse movement is rotating the camera at the edges it's a bit inconvenient when it comes to having the arrow available for Windows operations, and of course displaying the window title bar is not that aesthetically pleasing for games taking place in open spaces. It's a valid workaround and it works, obviously, but it has a few inconveniences.

Some links that "almost" nail it, here and here (sublinks are interesting too), even though they are not necessarily about rounded corners.
stupd

Post by stupd »

Just to be clear, Windowed Fullscreen (or Borderless Window) is different than "plain" Windowed. Windowed Fullscreen is the one in which the game runs in an overlay that overlays the current desktop, thus the game runs at your current desktop resolution, with no window at all. It has the primary benefit of seamless alt-tabbing (compared to full D3D screen, which usually flickers when you alt-tab out of it), with no aesthetical problems at all; no window title bar, no window borders, and mouse capture works just fine. Resolution can be "decreased" in Windowed Fullscreen mode by adjusting rendering resolution (subsampling resolution) instead of output resolution.

Idk about your individual experience, but for me Windowed Fullscreen usually gives better performance (fps) compared to full D3D screen in recent (I think post-2010) games. I am no heavy gamer though, thus very limited titles that I've played to support my claim above. Also, there are games that doesn't support this mode, so there's that ..

Here's a screenshot of the said mode, check this out; you can see the rounded corner overlay is there by zooming in :
(*the taskbar appears because I intentionally showed it by pressing Win button.)
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-04-10 012956.png
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

stupd wrote: April 9th, 2022, 5:39 pm Just to be clear, Windowed Fullscreen (or Borderless Window) is different than "plain" Windowed. Windowed Fullscreen is the one in which the game runs in an overlay that overlays the current desktop, thus the game runs at your current desktop resolution, with no window at all. It has the primary benefit of seamless alt-tabbing (compared to full D3D screen, which usually flickers when you alt-tab out of it), with no aesthetical problems at all; no window title bar, no window borders, and mouse capture works just fine. Resolution can be "decreased" in Windowed Fullscreen mode by adjusting rendering resolution (subsampling resolution) instead of output resolution.

Idk about your individual experience, but for me Windowed Fullscreen usually gives better performance (fps) compared to full D3D screen in recent (I think post-2010) games. I am no heavy gamer though, thus very limited titles that I've played to support my claim above. Also, there are games that doesn't support this mode, so there's that ..

Here's a screenshot of the said mode, check this out; you can see the rounded corner overlay is there by zooming in :
(*the taskbar appears because I intentionally showed it by pressing Win button.)
Ah, that explains it - thanks for clarifying. I thought you referred to plain windowed mode instead of (full screen) borderless window. Indeed, most if not all drawbacks / inconveniences are not present in this case, except, of course, the unlucky case where the game doesn't support it. I'm no heavy game either, I like sport and strategy titles and some select shooters once in a while. By the way, I only said that there is a difference in performance between modes, I didn't said it was either negative or positive (mostly because I don't remember since last time I noticed that), and you confirmed that, in your case.

The screenshot says it all, it looks good and quite comfy, to be honest. Hopefully the OP will like the solution too, if he's still interested. :thumbup:
SubjunctiveQuaver

Post by SubjunctiveQuaver »

stupd wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 10:41 am Hi ! First of all, thank you guys for the code.

For my personal tastes, Win11's rounded corners aesthetic should be matched to rounded screen corners.. So after a bit of googling, I've made an rmskin package based on by copy pasting your codes. The corner radius is matched to Win11's window corners.

And it works perfectly with RoundedTB tweaks!

Again, many thanks !

Rounded Corners_1.0.rmskin
Hi, thanks for this skin -- it's good! However, with the "at topmost" setting, windows appear *on top* of the taskbar when dragging, instead of behind as they should be. I can't figure out how to fix it :( (Also, had to set the corner radius to 16px -- I'm assuming it's to do with my DPI being 200%? Would there be a way to detect this automatically?)

See this for some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/rBEdSca