It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:20 pm

curious if i should use this or an IDE for a custom file manager

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: curious if i should use this or an IDE for a custom file manager

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 12th, 2022, 7:13 pm Yes, this indeed looks like a real file manager. Very good catch. But...
Can I copy a file between two folders using this skin? Or can I move it? Or delete a file? Or rename one? Generally is possible the file manipulation? :confused:
Maybe I'm missing something, however I couldn't find a way to do these things.
I don't think so, as far as I tried it. But they are easy to implement, really - even drawing some bars related to the progress, if you do this internally. If you let Windows do it, it's even easier, you could just simply simulate the copy paste of files and folders. I would prove it to you right away using some basic FileView skin, but it won't change your opinion anyway, as you pointed out... :confused:

EDIT: ActiveColors beat me to it.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Active Colors wrote: March 12th, 2022, 7:26 pm Yes it can do it, simply by right clicking which will show the same context menu that you see in Explorer. But this is quite a simple feature because FileView plugin supports showing the system context menu https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/fileview/#ContextMenu
Well, doesn't work. When I right click a file or folder it highlights the file or folder and no context menu is shown:
GIF 2022. 03. 12. 21-38-19.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 12th, 2022, 7:34 pm I don't think so, as far as I tried it. But they are easy to implement, really
Interesting idea if I have to finish a published skin.
But don't argue anymore on this subject.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

balala wrote: March 12th, 2022, 7:40 pm Well, doesn't work. When I right click a file or folder it highlights the file or folder and no context menu is shown:
GIF 2022. 03. 12. 21-38-19.gif
If you click right mouse button on the name it will show the renaming input. But if you click on the empty space next to the file name it will show the context menu. It was done like that because the system context menu called from Rainmeter will miss the renaming option for the reason that it will not be able to pass this command back to Rainmeter.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Active Colors wrote: March 12th, 2022, 7:46 pm If you click right mouse button on the name it will show the renaming input. But if you click on the empty space next to the file name it will show the context menu. It was done like that because the system context menu called from Rainmeter will miss the renaming option for the reason that it will not be able to pass this command back to Rainmeter.
Well, the copy from context menu will work this way, but not the paste part, from what I've been able to see.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Yincognito wrote: March 12th, 2022, 8:18 pm Well, the copy from context menu will work this way, but not the paste part, from what I've been able to see.
Surprisingly, copy command in context menu called from Rainmeter does not work. When you copy some file/folder in Explorer you will see that you can paste it in Rainmeter from FileView's context menu. But not the way around.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Active Colors wrote: March 12th, 2022, 8:49 pm Surprisingly, copy command in context menu called from Rainmeter does not work. When you copy some file/folder in Explorer you will see that you can paste it in Rainmeter from FileView's context menu. But not the way around.
I suppose this is intentional, given the developers' obses... I mean care with not abusing the write part that can possibly be done from within Rainmeter, for security reasons. I understand this, of course, but to me this concern is in general (and not just in Rainmeter) a bit exaggerated, since a smar... I mean bad guy will find a way anyhow to do malice even from software that use various restrictions in that area. :confused:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 12th, 2022, 8:18 pm Well, the copy from context menu will work this way, but not the paste part, from what I've been able to see.
Active Colors wrote: March 12th, 2022, 8:49 pm Surprisingly, copy command in context menu called from Rainmeter does not work. When you copy some file/folder in Explorer you will see that you can paste it in Rainmeter from FileView's context menu. But not the way around.
So finally this is not quite a real file manager. QED...
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

balala wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:13 pm So finally this is not quite a real file manager. QED...
It is what it is :(
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Active Colors wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:32 pm It is what it is :(
Don't get mad at me, didn't want to upset you. Just still believe that not everything is possible and tried to demonstrate this.
End of arguing on this question from my part...