It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:44 pm

Use Mobile Cell Phone to Manage Rainmeter Skin On PC

Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Community
CodeCode

Use Mobile Cell Phone to Manage Rainmeter Skin On PC

Post by CodeCode »

Ok, to the cut: Is it even possible - say, through wifi or something?

Then; if a new plugin is needed, who would be interested in helping with that - my C# or C++ isn't strong enough (at least to start, I've done both but only really API stuff and that was nearly a decade ago).

Thanks for any input or interest. I will be happy to help in any way I can, if this idea is even probable more than problematic.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Use Mobile Cell Phone to Manage Rainmeter Skin On PC

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:56 am Ok, to the cut: Is it even possible - say, through wifi or something?

Then; if a new plugin is needed, who would be interested in helping with that - my C# or C++ isn't strong enough (at least to start, I've done both but only really API stuff and that was nearly a decade ago).

Thanks for any input or interest. I will be happy to help in any way I can, if this idea is even probable more than problematic.
I don't think a plugin is required or feasible here, since it's about remote control, after all. Some direction to give you a start with this here. Bottom line, if you can reasonably control your entire PC from your phone, I don't see why you couldn't control Rainmeter as well.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:56 am Ok, to the cut: Is it even possible - say, through wifi or something?
Eventually, I became interested in something like this too, see this post.
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

It might not be what you want, but I use chrome remote all the time to access my pc from the phone. I even installed a thing to also turn it on/off remotely (also works with alexa) so I can access it from wherever I am.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 6:18 pmI use chrome remote
Yep, it was one of the options for me too, however I tried to stay away from things requiring other dependencies (like a browser being open). That's just me though, others might be fine with that, especially since it doesn't require a close location. ;-)
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Yincognito wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 7:05 pm Yep, it was one of the options for me too, however I tried to stay away from things requiring other dependencies (like a browser being open). That's just me though, others might be fine with that, especially since it doesn't require a close location. ;-)
It doesn't need the browser to be opened at all. I actually don't know how it works lol, I can access it remotely even if not logged in on the pc, it only needs to be turned on in order to have access (that's why I needed to install that hardware I mentioned to also turn it on remotely). I guess it's some process running all the time or something, but that process takes almost no resources since It hasn't called my attention when monitoring the task manager.

As you can see on this screenshot I just took from my phone:
IMG_2725.jpeg
(The keyboard can be closed of course)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 7:30 pm It doesn't need the browser to be opened at all.
Alright, now I see. It only needs the broswer to connect, apparently.

Chrome Remote Desktop - tutorial:

SpaceDesk - tutorial:
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Yincognito wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 8:15 pm Alright, now I see. It only needs the broswer to connect, apparently.
Not exactly, you need to install a small client. The thing is that Chrome Remote is to control the pc remotely and can't be used as a second monitor. SpaceDesk on the other hand can be used as the primary or second monitor but not to control the pc (if my memory is correct).

So both tools are very different.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 8:22 pm Not exactly, you need to install a small client. The thing is that Chrome Remote is to control the pc remotely and can't be used as a second monitor. SpaceDesk on the other hand can be used as the primary or second monitor but not to control the pc (if my memory is correct).

So both tools are very different.
Their main target are relatively different things indeed (remote desktop vs additional monitor), but they are similar in several ways: they both transfer video to see what's on the other device, and they both can be used to control the computer. In the case of SpaceDesk, you'd control it just like you do from your primary monitor. You're probably right that Chrome Remote Desktop can't be used as a second monitor though, its purpose is closer to what TeamViewer does, if I'm not mistaken.