It is currently April 19th, 2024, 12:22 pm

Cannot change install location anymore

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
tk_

Cannot change install location anymore

Post by tk_ »

I first noticed this while trying to install v4.5.10, and it's happening again w/ v4.5.12. Standard installation.

When I run the installer and get to the Install Options window, the Browse button to select a different install folder is greyed out and unavailable. The Destination Folder field is not editable, so I can't just put the location there either.

I've tried running this as Administrator, no difference.

I tried to see if there were any install switches where I could force it to install into the folder I want it to go into, however I haven't been able to find any.

Windows 10, up to date on patches. Disk space is not an issue (a few hundred GB free).

Any ideas why I can't change the install directory any more?

Thank you in advance,
tk_
Brian
Developer

Re: Cannot change install location anymore

Post by Brian »

tk_ wrote: March 5th, 2022, 11:38 pm I first noticed this while trying to install v4.5.10, and it's happening again w/ v4.5.12. Standard installation.
Standard installation means that Rainmeter will be installed in your Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/installing-rainmeter/#DefaultFileLocations

I think you want Portable installation? This will let you choose the installation folder.

This is how the Rainmeter installer has been for over 10 years.

-Brian
Active Colors

Re: Cannot change install location anymore

Post by Active Colors »

I think that you are not able to change the destination folder because Rainmeter is already installed on your system. You will need to uninstall it and install again.

Brian wrote: March 6th, 2022, 8:27 am Standard installation means that Rainmeter will be installed in your Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/installing-rainmeter/#DefaultFileLocations

I think you want Portable installation? This will let you choose the installation folder.

This is how the Rainmeter installer has been for over 10 years.

-Brian
Strange. I remember being able to change the installation folder for the Standard Installation if Rainmeter was not previously installed on the system. Remember there was even this problem with users who were changing their default installation path and installing it in the root folder and then in the Control Panel it was reporting the wrong installation size? If they were installing the portable version then they wouldn't have the Rainmeter listed in the Control Panel and wouldn't be able to see the wrong installation size, thus they changed the location of the Standard Installation.
Secondly, even in the manual the Browse button is enabled.
Thirdly, look at this video (01:05) or you can see the Browse button is enabled. The same is in other Rainmeter videos on YouTube.
tk_

SOLVED - Re: Cannot change install location anymore

Post by tk_ »

Active Colors wrote: March 6th, 2022, 1:57 pm I think that you are not able to change the destination folder because Rainmeter is already installed on your system. You will need to uninstall it and install again.

Strange. I remember being able to change the installation folder for the Standard Installation if Rainmeter was not previously installed on the system. Remember there was even this problem with users who were changing their default installation path and installing it in the root folder and then in the Control Panel it was reporting the wrong installation size? If they were installing the portable version then they wouldn't have the Rainmeter listed in the Control Panel and wouldn't be able to see the wrong installation size, thus they changed the location of the Standard Installation.
Secondly, even in the manual the Browse button is enabled.
Thirdly, look at this video (01:05) or you can see the Browse button is enabled. The same is in other Rainmeter videos on YouTube.
Good point! I did forget to mention Rainmeter was already installed and I was attempting an upgrade install, so you are correct.

An interesting bit is Rainmeter appeared to be installed in two locations:
  1. \Program Files\Rainmeter, and
  2. \Program Files\Utilities\Rainmeter (where I originally installed it years ago, and still want it installed)
The Rainmeter exe was the same version in both locations, although Programs and Features reported it as installed in \Program Files, not in the Utilities sub-folder. I have an idea how that happened but it's not relevant to this question.

I uninstalled (and removed the duplicate in the \Utilities folder). Now when running the installer again I correctly have the option to select the destination folder (a desired feature). Understandable on an upgrade that it shouldn't be available, however on a 'new' install, it should always be and appears this is the case. Lesser installers don't pay attention to a previously registered install so I just erroneously assumed (apologies!) this was doing the same.

FWIW, I now recognize this installer is working just as I think it should, and thank you for that.

Thank you both for your replies and guidance.
tk_