It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:20 am

[BUG] Skin will become hidden after coming from 'Switch User' screen if the skin meets certain conditions

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [BUG] Skin will become hidden after coming from 'Switch User' screen if the skin meets certain conditions

Post by balala »

Active Colors wrote: January 21st, 2022, 9:24 am Of course, no problem and no stress! Thank you for your time and dedication! I think for now knowing at least the hardware would be helpful!
Here are the promised specifications of the two computers:
  • The computer on which the skin remains visible when getting back into the profile:

Code: Select all

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr_escrow.200102-1707)
    Language: Hungarian (Regional Setting: Hungarian)
    System Manufacturer: LENOVO
    System Model: 10HS007LRI
    BIOS: LENOVO BIOS Rev:M0KKT31A 0.0
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM

Display Devices:
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Display Memory: 1888 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
  • The computer on which the skin has been hidden, then got it back after a refresh all:

Code: Select all

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr_escrow.200102-1707)
    Language: Hungarian (Regional Setting: Hungarian)
    System Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS
    System Model: CELSIUS W360                  
    BIOS: Version 6.00 R1.18.2587.A1
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550  @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM

Display Devices:
    Card name: Intel(R) Q35 Express Chipset Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100
    Display Memory: 256 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Me personally have no idea what is the relevant difference, however there for sure is one (or more?).
If anyone need any other information related to any of these computers, please let me know what exactly would you like to know.
Make sense?
Brian
Developer

Re: [BUG] Skin will become hidden after coming from 'Switch User' screen if the skin meets certain conditions

Post by Brian »

Could you try this version?
https://builds.rainmeter.net/test_builds/Rainmeter-4.5.9.3588-prerelease.exe

This test version attempts to detect changes in the user session and redraw the skins. It also logs some debug messages, so please turn on logging and debug mode.

After returning from the "Switch User" screen, Rainmeter should log any changes to the user session. They will look like this:
System: User session change detected! Session ID: 0x00000001 Type: 0x00000001

The debug message happens when entering AND exiting the "Switch User" screen (and other session changes).

Please let me know if this version works, and also post the log messages regardless if it works or not.

Thanks,
-Brian
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Brian wrote: January 27th, 2022, 8:59 am Could you try this version?

This test version attempts to detect changes in the user session and redraw the skins. It also logs some debug messages, so please turn on logging and debug mode.

After returning from the "Switch User" screen, Rainmeter should log any changes to the user session. They will look like this:

The debug message happens when entering AND exiting the "Switch User" screen (and other session changes).

Please let me know if this version works, and also post the log messages regardless if it works or not.
Sorry for the late reply.
Tested and works, the skin in cause is kept on screen after returning. I checked the log, but got 81 messages. Is there a way to copy all of them at once? I mean that copying so many messages one by one, is a little bit frustrating.
The most important messages (at least in my opinion) are the following ones:
  • On entering to Switch User screen:
    • System: User session change detected! Session ID: 0x00000001 Type: 0x00000002
    • System: Display settings changed
  • On exiting:
    • System: User session change detected! Session ID: 0x00000001 Type: 0x00000001
    • System: Display settings changed
I can post the other messages as well, just would be good to know which one to post.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

balala wrote: January 28th, 2022, 7:36 am Tested and works, the skin in cause is kept on screen after returning.
Awesome! I couldn't replicate the issue on my end (Windows 10), nor on any virtual machine running Windows 7. So, I am glad it worked.
balala wrote: January 28th, 2022, 7:36 am I can post the other messages as well, just would be good to know which one to post.
No need, you posted the relevant messages I needed. I may leave this debug message in the code just in case it might be useful later.

-Brian
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Brian wrote: January 27th, 2022, 8:59 am Could you try this version?

Thanks,
-Brian
It works! I have done various tests from my first and second posts in this thread and everything works as intended.
Thank you very much Brian for investing your time into it!!

(By the way, in previous Rainmeter versions the debug was writing log only when you get into your profile back from the "Switch User" screen but was not writing anything when you actually go into the "Switch User" screen.)

I have attached the log from the test build 4.5.9.3588 (64-bit) and just in case attached the log from 4.5.8.3587 (64-bit) as well.

I suppose this update does not fix the root of the issue but, as you said, just attempts to redraw any active skin. But I think it is sufficient enough. Do you have any hint where the problem can actually be?

The only difference I noticed between those two machines balala tested this was the Windows 7 edition — the skin remained visible on Windows 7 Ultimate but got hidden on Windows 7 Professional. I run Windows 7 Professional as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

balala wrote: January 28th, 2022, 7:36 am I checked the log, but got 81 messages. Is there a way to copy all of them at once? I mean that copying so many messages one by one, is a little bit frustrating.
Open Manage window and choose there "Log to file", then you can click on "Show log file" button if the file has any log in it.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Brian wrote: January 28th, 2022, 9:35 am I couldn't replicate the issue on my end (Windows 10), nor on any virtual machine running Windows 7.
On Windows 10 I couldn't either. Only on Windows 7 and neither there not in every case. Probably Active Colors is right, when he says:
Active Colors wrote: January 28th, 2022, 10:15 am The only difference I noticed between those two machines balala tested this was the Windows 7 edition — the skin remained visible on Windows 7 Ultimate but got hidden on Windows 7 Professional. I run Windows 7 Professional as well.
I also couldn't find another software difference between the OS behaving differently. There are hardware differences, but I doubt this makes a difference.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Active Colors wrote: January 28th, 2022, 10:43 am Open Manage window and choose there "Log to file", then you can click on "Show log file" button if the file has any log in it.
Good point, thanks. Didn't think to this solution, but it definitely is a good one. :thumbup:
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Active Colors wrote: January 28th, 2022, 10:15 am It works! I have done various tests from my first and second posts in this thread and everything works as intended.
Thank you very much Brian for investing your time into it!!
Glad it is working for you. This "fix" will be in the next release version.

Active Colors wrote: January 28th, 2022, 10:15 am I suppose this update does not fix the root of the issue but, as you said, just attempts to redraw any active skin. But I think it is sufficient enough. Do you have any hint where the problem can actually be?
Honestly, I can't really say since I could not replicate the issue on the machines I have. If I had to take a wild guess, I would bet there is some conflict with only certain versions of video drivers and the Windows 7 desktop window manager (dwm). Anything to do with Windows 7 is pretty much out of date, with very few bugs in the OS and video drivers being fixed in the last few years. This is one of the reasons why more and more software is starting to drop support for Windows 7.

-Brian
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Brian wrote: January 28th, 2022, 9:09 pm Honestly, I can't really say since I could not replicate the issue on the machines I have. If I had to take a wild guess, I would bet there is some conflict with only certain versions of video drivers and the Windows 7 desktop window manager (dwm). Anything to do with Windows 7 is pretty much out of date, with very few bugs in the OS and video drivers being fixed in the last few years. This is one of the reasons why more and more software is starting to drop support for Windows 7.
Right. And since Windows 7 is from now obsolete (it is, isn't it?), it's definitely a good thing you have fixed this and thanks for this (and for all your awesome work), however I tend to think that slightly - slightly doesn't really worth to work with issues related to only this OS. Probably Rainmeter sooner or later will also drop Windows 7 support, there will be no other alternatives (my opinion).