It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:36 am

[BUG] Skin will become hidden after coming from 'Switch User' screen if the skin meets certain conditions

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Active Colors

[BUG] Skin will become hidden after coming from 'Switch User' screen if the skin meets certain conditions

Post by Active Colors »

When I get back into my profile from the 'Switch User' screen any skin becomes hidden if a skin meets one of these conditions:
  • a. when all the meters in a skin have UpdateDivider set to -1.
    b. when DefaultUpdateDivider is set to -1 as long as there is not a single meter that overrides this.
    c. when Update is set to -1.
The skin appears back when I refresh the skin from the tray or Manage window.

I have tried random older versions of Rainmeter down to 2.4 and the same problem happens there too, so this is not something caused by any recent changes I think.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
Basically just load the skin, then go to the start menu and choose Switch User, then go back to your profile and see whether the skin hides for you.
On Windows 10 (I think) it is done through either CTRL+ALT+DELETE or through ALT+F4 while being on desktop.

Video demonstration:
Dropbox (just press X to close the registration window and the video will play)

Example skin:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1

[Metadata]
Name=Test

[Variables]

[StyleTitle]
StringAlign=Center
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,50
FontColor=255,255,255,205
FontFace=Trebuchet MS
FontSize=10
AntiAlias=1

; METERS
[SomeMeter1]
Meter=Image
; I used default illustro backround image.
ImageName=#@#Background.png
X=0
Y=0
W=210
H=80
ScaleMargins=50,34,50,14
AntiAlias=1
UpdateDivider=-1

[LastMeter2]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=StyleTitle
X=105
Y=12
Text=TEST SKIN
UpdateDivider=-1

Rainmeter 4.5.8.3587 (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2021-12-30  6:17:00
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (build 7601) Service Pack 1 - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: E:\Custo\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\Focus\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Focus\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Active Colors

Re: [BUG] Skin will become hidden after coming from 'Switch User' screen if the skin meets certain conditions

Post by Active Colors »

Update.

After some tests it seems that there are couple of more cases regarding the disappearing of the skins after the 'Switch User' screen.

1. The skin will disappear after the 'Switch User' screen when a skin is made ONLY out of Image meters and NONE of the Image meters have DynamicVariables=1. Check this skin with only one meter:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[TheOnlyMeterInTheSkin]
Meter=Image
SolidColor=0,0,0
X=0
Y=0
W=100
H=100
NOTE:
• When at least one meter has DynamicVariables=1 the issue does not happen.
• Nevertheless, even with DynamicVariables=1, the issue will still happen if the meter has UpdateDivider=-1.

2. However, the issue above does NOT happen for a String meter:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[TheOnlyMeterInTheSkin]
Meter=String
StringAlign=Left
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,50
FontFace=Trebuchet MS
FontSize=10
AntiAlias=1
X=0
Y=0
Text=TEST SKIN
NOTE:
Nevertheless, even with DynamicVariables=1, the issue will still happen for String meter if the meter has UpdateDivider=-1.
Active Colors

Re: [BUG] Skin will become hidden after coming from 'Switch User' screen if the skin meets certain conditions

Post by Active Colors »

Would be great if somebody could try the example skins to make sure this is not an issue with my machine (I use Windows 7 Pro).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Sorry, but I only have one account on my PC, and don't have any "Switch User" functionality available.
nek

Post by nek »

Active Colors wrote:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1

[Metadata]
Name=Test

[Variables]

[StyleTitle]
StringAlign=Center
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,50
FontFace=Trebuchet MS
FontSize=10
AntiAlias=1

; METERS
[SomeMeter1]
Meter=Image
; I used default illustro backround image.
ImageName=#@#Background.png
X=0
Y=0
W=210
H=80
ScaleMargins=50,34,50,14
AntiAlias=1
UpdateDivider=-1

[LastMeter2]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=StyleTitle
X=105
Y=12
Text=TEST SKIN
UpdateDivider=-1

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[TheOnlyMeterInTheSkin]
Meter=Image
SolidColor=0,0,0
X=0
Y=0
W=100
H=100
Hi, Here is my results. - Windows 10 Pro 21H1, Rainmeter 4.5.4.3550 portable installed.

PREPARE FOR TESTING
1. Create a new windows user account (user1 - LOCAL) using Run "control userpasswords2"
2. Unload all Rainmeter skin.
3. Load only example skin above.

TEST1
1. Windows Start > Click on the user name > Display "Switch User" and sign in to owner account.
2. THE SKIN KEPT REMAIN ON MY DESKTOP.

TEST2
1. Windows Start > Click on the user name > Display "Switch User"
2. Sign in to new user1 account.
3. Windows Start > Click on the user name > Display "Switch User" and sign in to owner account.
4. THE SKIN KEPT REMAIN ON MY DESKTOP.

Each test, both skin got same results.
Just results, I have no idea why the skin will be disappeared on Active Colors's environment.

**Portable installed.**
Rainmeter 4.5.4.3550 (64-bit)
Build time: 2021-10-04  9:25:19
Windows 10 Pro 2009 64-bit (build 19043) - Japanese (1041)
Path: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\
IniFile: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Can't confirm either, on Windows 10 at least it does work, the skin is visible after getting back to my profile. But as said, this is on Windows 10, not on Windows 7 (as Active Colors). Here are the specifications of my computer:

Rainmeter 4.5.7.3581 (64-bit)
Build time: 2021-12-09 15:10:57
Windows 10 Pro 2009 64-bit (build 19044) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: D:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\<MYNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\<MYNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Tomorrow in the morning I'm gonna have access to a computer running Windows 7 at work, will gonna give it a try (it's late afternoon / evening here). Will come back with the result.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

As promised above I tried out what's going on on a Windows 7 computer. In fact on two different computers, both running the same OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (build 7601) Service Pack 1 - Hungarian (1038).
The result is not clear at all. On first computer everything works well, the skin remained visible after getting back to the active user. But on the second computer, everything has happened as has been described by Active Colors above: the skin having only meters with UpdateDivider=-1 has disappeared when getting back to the user. The refresh brought back the skin. Same has happened if the meters had the UpdateDivider=1, but the Update option in the [Rainmeter] section has been set to Update=-1. Rainmeter was the same on the two computers, because a portable version has been ran, from a memory stick ported to both computers. Theoretically the OS versions are the same. However as described, completely different things have happened on the two computers. Couldn't figure out what is the difference between them in matter of software, just the different hardware.
The specification on those compueters:
  • Computer on which the skin has remained visible:

Rainmeter 4.4.0.3412 beta (64-bit)
    Language: Hungarian (1038)
    Build time: 2020-12-28  7:03:17
    Commit Hash: d7e3df68
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (build 7601) Service Pack 1 - Hungarian (1038)
    Path: E:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
    SkinPath: E:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\
    SettingsPath: E:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
    IniFile: E:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
  • Computer having the described issue:

Path: F:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
    SkinPath: F:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\
    SettingsPath: F:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
    IniFile: F:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
I quite. Can't tell what's happening there. Can't identify the differences and don't know what makes this differences. If anyone can tell what to check on those computers, I'm gonna check, but me personally have no idea at all. Makes no sense to me.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

balala wrote: January 20th, 2022, 4:10 pm As promised above I tried out what's going on on a Windows 7 computer. In fact on two different computers, both running the same OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (build 7601) Service Pack 1 - Hungarian (1038).
The result is not clear at all. On first computer everything works well, the skin remained visible after getting back to the active user. But on the second computer, everything has happened as has been described by Active Colors above: the skin having only meters with UpdateDivider=-1 has disappeared when getting back to the user. The refresh brought back the skin. Same has happened if the meters had the UpdateDivider=1, but the Update option in the [Rainmeter] section has been set to Update=-1. Rainmeter was the same on the two computers, because a portable version has been ran, from a memory stick ported to both computers. Theoretically the OS versions are the same. However as described, completely different things have happened on the two computers. Couldn't figure out what is the difference between them in matter of software, just the different hardware.
The specification on those compueters:
  • Computer on which the skin has remained visible:

Path: E:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
    SkinPath: E:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\
    SettingsPath: E:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
    IniFile: E:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
  • Computer having the described issue:

Path: F:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
    SkinPath: F:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins\
    SettingsPath: F:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
    IniFile: F:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
I quite. Can't tell what's happening there. Can't identify the differences and don't know what makes this differences. If anyone can tell what to check on those computers, I'm gonna check, but me personally have no idea at all. Makes no sense to me.
Thank you very much balala for checking this on two computers!

So it seems that hardware could be the first culprit.
Windows 7 could be another reason but it is not yet clear.
And I also think drivers could be involved too.

Could you tell hardware specifications of the computer where the issue was present?
And also, if you know, are the drivers updated there?

More details about the hardware and drivers can bring more understanding of this issue.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Active Colors wrote: January 20th, 2022, 4:24 pm So it seems that hardware could be the first culprit.
Windows 7 could be another reason but it is not yet clear.
And I also think drivers could be involved too.

Could you tell hardware specifications of the computer where the issue was present?
And also, if you know, are the drivers updated there?

More details about the hardware and drivers can bring more understanding of this issue.
Ok, but again you have to wait until tomorrow. This evening can't check exactly, because have no more access to the computers (as said, those are computers at my work space). But tomorrow will check and will come back.
I think this indeed is an issue related to Windows 7. At least this is what I think.
Related to drivers, I think the drivers are not up to date on any of those computers, but unfortunately I have not administrator right on those computers, to can check them.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

balala wrote: January 20th, 2022, 4:50 pm Ok, but again you have to wait until tomorrow. This evening can't check exactly, because have no more access to the computers (as said, those are computers at my work space). But tomorrow will check and will come back.
I think this indeed is an issue related to Windows 7. At least this is what I think.
Related to drivers, I think the drivers are not up to date on any of those computers, but unfortunately I have not administrator right on those computers, to can check them.
Of course, no problem and no stress! Thank you for your time and dedication! I think for now knowing at least the hardware would be helpful!