It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:45 pm

No skins, cant install skin, or even open the app

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Michudy

No skins, cant install skin, or even open the app

Post by Michudy »

Hello, when I Install the rainmeter its show that no skins are available (fresh install) it wont open anything and not working. If i want to install new skins its crash and wont install anything. I attach screenshot. I use Onedrive sync of my document folder, this should be the problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Active Colors

Re: No skins, cant install skin, or even open the app

Post by Active Colors »

Michudy wrote: January 9th, 2022, 11:09 am Hello, when I Install the rainmeter its show that no skins are available (fresh install) it wont open anything and not working. If i want to install new skins its crash and wont install anything. I attach screenshot. I use Onedrive sync of my document folder, this should be the problem?
Yep, OneDrive is a problem. Some users reported issues with it. See this thread starting from this message: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=31708&hilit=onedrive#p197758
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Michudy wrote: January 9th, 2022, 11:09 am when I Install the rainmeter its show that no skins are available (fresh install) it wont open anything and not working. If i want to install new skins its crash and wont install anything. I attach screenshot. I use Onedrive sync of my document folder, this should be the problem?
Yep, having the skins in the OneDrive folder does seems to be a problem, even if I don't really understand why, because that folder is a local folder. But take a look to the posts of the topic linked above by Active Colors. I suppose there might be some reading - writing issues with the OneDrive folder, which I don't know. However definitely look to be a good idea not to put skins in this folder.
According to the mentioned posts, here is what you should do:
  • Choose for the skins a location outside of the OneDrive folder. Usually this is under the Documents folder, but this is not mandatory (however is recommended).
  • Right click the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area. Click Edit settings. Rainmeter's settings opens in your default text editor.
  • Locate the [Rainmeter] section. Locate the SkinPath option of this section. Edit it to the previously chosen location (first step above).
  • Save and close the file.
  • Exit Rainmeter.
  • Move the old Skins folder (or its content, obviously) to the new location.
  • Restart Rainmeter.
  • If the skins don't load, load them one by one.
Does this fix the problem?
Michudy

Post by Michudy »

balala wrote: January 9th, 2022, 3:04 pm Yep, having the skins in the OneDrive folder does seems to be a problem, even if I don't really understand why, because that folder is a local folder. But take a look to the posts of the topic linked above by Active Colors. I suppose there might be some reading - writing issues with the OneDrive folder, which I don't know. However definitely look to be a good idea not to put skins in this folder.
According to the mentioned posts, here is what you should do:
  • Choose for the skins a location outside of the OneDrive folder. Usually this is under the Documents folder, but this is not mandatory (however is recommended).
  • Right click the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area. Click Edit settings. Rainmeter's settings opens in your default text editor.
  • Locate the [Rainmeter] section. Locate the SkinPath option of this section. Edit it to the previously chosen location (first step above).
  • Save and close the file.
  • Exit Rainmeter.
  • Move the old Skins folder (or its content, obviously) to the new location.
  • Restart Rainmeter.
  • If the skins don't load, load them one by one.
Does this fix the problem?
This helps.. thanks a lot!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Michudy wrote: January 12th, 2022, 4:49 pm This helps.. thanks a lot!
Have you succeeded? Do you get now the skins installing?
NeOZ3rxes

Post by NeOZ3rxes »

Hallo, even I could not run rainmeter properly after re-installing with recommended settings. Every time I try starting the application it says "no available skins at C:\Users\...\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\". I checked the path till Documents and couldn't find the folder named "Rainmeter".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

NeOZ3rxes wrote: January 17th, 2022, 12:36 pm Hallo, even I could not run rainmeter properly after re-installing with recommended settings. Every time I try starting the application it says "no available skins at C:\Users\...\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\". I checked the path till Documents and couldn't find the folder named "Rainmeter".
Seems like a security issue with the account you are using. Try installing Rainmeter as a "portable" application, being sure to install it to a folder you absolutely have full read-write access to.
NeOZ3rxes

Post by NeOZ3rxes »

jsmorley wrote: January 17th, 2022, 12:39 pm Seems like a security issue with the account you are using. Try installing Rainmeter as a "portable" application, being sure to install it to a folder you absolutely have full read-write access to.
Thank you, it showed the initial skins on desktop. Do I have to follow any more steps to use downloaded skins?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

NeOZ3rxes wrote: January 17th, 2022, 12:51 pm Thank you, it showed the initial skins on desktop. Do I have to follow any more steps to use downloaded skins?
No, aside from where things "live", it should all operate the same as a normal installation.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'd be suspicious of this being the root cause...

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=30869#p157423