It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:22 am

Weather Skins Not Working

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
seanx

Re: Weather Skins Not Working

Post by seanx »

balala wrote: January 12th, 2022, 8:24 pm Have you refreshed the skin(s)? Because nothing else has to be changed.
I changed the KEY as they are in the pictures, deactivated and reactivated skin, but the weather is not working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
seanx

Post by seanx »

balala wrote: January 12th, 2022, 8:24 pm Have you refreshed the skin(s)? Because nothing else has to be changed.
I changed the KEY as they are in the pictures, deactivated and reactivated, but the weather is not working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

seanx wrote: January 12th, 2022, 9:09 pm I changed the KEY as they are in the pictures, deactivated and reactivated, but the weather is not working.
Make sure you save the WeatherComJSONVariables.inc file in your Notepad after making the modifications and before refreshing the skin:
SketchyWeather.jpg
As you can see, it works.

As for Sonder, it appears the author already implemented the "refresh API key" system similarly to the little skin I wrote before, in his settings skin. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
David8192

Post by David8192 »

seanx wrote: January 12th, 2022, 9:09 pm I changed the KEY as they are in the pictures, deactivated and reactivated, but the weather is not working.
Did you save the file before refreshing Rainmeter?
the DA GALLERY 8-) For some Reason, the square root of X2 does not involve X
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Yincognito wrote: January 12th, 2022, 8:39 pm This doesn't happen on my side, everything works perfectly:
WeatherAPIKey.jpg
Unfortunately, I can't figure out what is wrong on your side, since I can't experience your error in the first place. I thought about having UserAgent options and whatnot in the measure, but I found out a super simple WebParser measure worked anyway, at least in my case. I have no idea what could be wrong in your setup - it should work without issues. :???:

P.S. The way the error is phrased seems to indicate that maybe the https protocol is somehow involved? Just speculating, but I don't have enough data to state this as a fact, obviously.
EDIT: You said that that skins parsing weather.com work normally. Maybe using the options the WebParser measures in those skins use could solve the issue? If those are indeed parsing the weather.com webpage and not the JSON, that is (not sure if there's a difference between the two when it comes to the web request though)...

EDIT2: Anyway, keep me posted if you discover what the issue is, because I might implement a weather.com "APIKey detection" system in my skins' Settings area based on this little skin, on their next update.
Damn I forgot about this little option. I remember enabling it before but because I have created another profile on my system I must have forgotten to enable it again since I rarely touch it and rarely use webparser.
111.PNG
RMBill

Post by RMBill »

Don't add any comments or new lines after the "; Don't change any below here."

Just modify the one line (apiKey) only....

Adding a comment or extra line will cause the issue of it not working after updating the APIKey

RMBill
seanx

Post by seanx »

David8192 wrote: January 13th, 2022, 1:13 pm Did you save the file before refreshing Rainmeter?
@David8192
@balala
@Yincognito

Solved.
The bug was eventually in the old version of Rainmeter.
After downloading the latest versions of Rainmeter and Sonder skin, the weather is displayed correctly.

Well thank you!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

seanx wrote: January 13th, 2022, 5:19 pm The bug was eventually in the old version of Rainmeter.
After downloading the latest versions of Rainmeter and Sonder skin, the weather is displayed correctly.
Well, I'm extremely surprised. Do you know maybe which version of Rainmeter have you had before?
David8192

Post by David8192 »

seanx wrote: January 13th, 2022, 5:19 pm @David8192
@balala
@Yincognito

Solved.
The bug was eventually in the old version of Rainmeter.

Well thank you!
That is interesting.
Glad you got it working.
the DA GALLERY 8-) For some Reason, the square root of X2 does not involve X
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Active Colors wrote: January 13th, 2022, 1:28 pm Damn I forgot about this little option. I remember enabling it before but because I have created another profile on my system I must have forgotten to enable it again since I rarely touch it and rarely use webparser.
111.PNG
Oh, so it was related to the https protocol, after all. Excellent job to identify where the problem was - and useful to know as well. :great:
Thanks for letting me - and us - know about the solution. For the regular user, the default settings there should cause no problems in accessing weather.com and its page source to identify the key for the JSON.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth