It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:01 am

Drive temperature

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
deltarho

Drive temperature

Post by deltarho »

I don't do much script work, so even simple tasks require a lot of forum searching. I am trying to get the temperature of my C: drive.

This is my latest effort, but the SpeedFanNumber is proving a headache — I have tried quite a few values and have been at this for a disgracefully long time. However, I suspect, there is more needed than understanding the SpeedFanNumber. A solution to this may help with other uses of the SpeedFanPlugin.

Thanks in advance.

Code: Select all

[meterLabelCTemp]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
X=10
Y=200
W=190
H=14
Text=C TEMP

[MeasureCTemp]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\SpeedFanPlugin.dll
SpeedFanType=Temperature
SpeedFanNumber=1

[MeterCTemp]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleRightText
MeasureName=MeasureCTemp
X=200
Y=0r
W=190
H=14
Text=%1
deltarho

Re: Drive temperature

Post by deltarho »

I couldn't find a download button at the SpeedFan website but got V4.52 at FileHippo. I tried 'SpeedFanNumber=#HD0#' but I am still getting a temp of 0 so it looks like something else is at fault.
deltarho

Re: Drive temperature [Solved]

Post by deltarho »

I have got there. HD0 is index #5 so tried 'SpeedFanNumber=5' and that worked. Oh dear, that was hard work. :Whistle

Added: CrystalDiskInfo spots my external SSD but SpeedFan does not — so it seems.
CodeCode

Re: Drive temperature [Solved]

Post by CodeCode »

deltarho wrote: November 21st, 2021, 12:15 pm I have got there. HD0 is index #5 so tried 'SpeedFanNumber=5' and that worked. Oh dear, that was hard work. :Whistle

Added: CrystalDiskInfo spots my external SSD but SpeedFan does not — so it seems.
Are you getting a temp read from CrystalDiskInfo in rainmeter?

I did not think there would be a plugin for it. Does speedfan plugin capture that info somehow?
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
deltarho

Post by deltarho »

CodeCode wrote:Are you getting a temp read from CrystalDiskInfo in rainmeter?
No.
Does speedfan plugin capture that info somehow?
Please bear in mind that I am pretty clueless with skins but the following works.

In [Variables] I have 'HD0=5' ( '5' got from SpeedFan 4.52, 6th index) and then

Code: Select all

[meterLabelHD0Temp]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
X=10
Y=200
W=190
H=14
Text=C: TEMP

[MeasureHD0Temp]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\SpeedFanPlugin.dll
SpeedFanType=Temperature
SpeedFanNumber=#HD0#

[MeterHD0Temp]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleRightText
MeasureName=MeasureHD0Temp
X=200
Y=0r
W=190
H=14
Text=%1 
HD0 is my internal SSD. I also have an internal HDD which SpeedFan calls HD1 — 5th index. I was hoping for SpeedFan to spot my external SSD but it doesn't. I am getting the same temps as CrystalDiskInfo — thankfully. :D
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

ok. makes sense then .
perhaps your external HDD does not have a heat sensor?
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
deltarho

Post by deltarho »

CodeCode wrote:perhaps your external HDD does not have a heat sensor?
I've only had it a short while — it is a Samsung 1TB SSD. CrystalDiskInfo spots it.

I think that SpeedFan is a bit long in the tooth and I could not see a Windows StartUp option.

Putting a link in the StartUp folder, Windows 10, did not work so I figured that we needed elevated privileges so did that, and it worked. I requested a minimized open, but that was ignored, and a normal open was executed. No problem. Of course, we should then minimize and not close as SpeedFan needs to be running otherwise the dll has no-one to talk to — like using Core Temp.

I used this to create the elevated privileges:
Automatically Create Elevated App Shortcut without UAC Prompt using Script

At the bat file first question I used: Elevated SpeedFan
At the second question I used: C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe

Note: Sans quotation marks on second question.

I then put the Target from the Properties sheet of the 'Elevated SpeedFan.lnk' into the Current User Run key.

The Registry Editor shows 'SpeedFan' as Value name and C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "Apps\Elevated_SpeedFan" as Value data.

I will, of course, have egg on my face if SpeedFan has a Windows StartUp option and I have not spotted it. :D

Added: I have been doing something for a very long time and forgot that I have. My User Account Control is set to full throttle. Without it, then we can drop SpeedFan into the StartUp folder; I think.
deltarho

Post by deltarho »

A friend of mine uses UAC — not as 'aggressive' as my use — but enough for Windows to ignore a normal Startup method. He used the bat file above and put 'Elevated SpeedFan.lnk' in his StartUp folder. The UAC is bypassed.

Some of you may have done this, but if Notepad is executed in admin mode then Open "C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan\speedfanparams.cfg" and edit as follows.

Change MinimizeOnClose=false to MinimizeOnClose=true ... [1]
Change StartupHide=false to StartupHide=true ............... [2]

and then Save.

On a Boot/Restart the console and GUI flash briefly, because of [2], and SpeedFan ends up in the Notification Area without becoming visible. Relevant metrics are populated after a couple of seconds. If we Restore SpeedFan for some reason, we can return it to the Notification Area by clicking on the close button because of [1]. I had accidentally closed it a few times previously. :D