It is currently April 20th, 2024, 12:40 pm

Launcher skin that displays contents of a target folder?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
etl

Launcher skin that displays contents of a target folder?

Post by etl »

Is it possible to have a launcher where instead of manually assigning files/programs/whatever to be displayed on it, instead give it a path to a folder on the local drive, where it displays the contents of that folder? Specifically, so that if a program were added to the target folder, that program would automatically appear in the launcher the next time the skin refreshes?

My rainmeter coding abilities are super basic, so I don't even know, first of all, is this close to possible?

Thanks!
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Launcher skin that displays contents of a target folder?

Post by death.crafter »

etl wrote: November 11th, 2021, 6:16 am Is it possible to have a launcher where instead of manually assigning files/programs/whatever to be displayed on it, instead give it a path to a folder on the local drive, where it displays the contents of that folder? Specifically, so that if a program were added to the target folder, that program would automatically appear in the launcher the next time the skin refreshes?

My rainmeter coding abilities are super basic, so I don't even know, first of all, is this close to possible?

Thanks!
Yes it is possible.

See FileView plugin.
from the Realm of Death
sl23

Post by sl23 »

This has made me curious as to whether you could use this to create a horizontal icon only file list?

A sort of Rocket Dock/Object Dock type skin. :confused:
- MuLab -
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

etl wrote: November 11th, 2021, 6:16 am Is it possible to have a launcher where instead of manually assigning files/programs/whatever to be displayed on it, instead give it a path to a folder on the local drive, where it displays the contents of that folder? Specifically, so that if a program were added to the target folder, that program would automatically appear in the launcher the next time the skin refreshes?

Thanks!
sl23 wrote: November 11th, 2021, 1:13 pm This has made me curious as to whether you could use this to create a horizontal icon only file list?

I don't mean to point anyone away from Rainmeter, but it sounds like you guys are looking for Stardock Fences. Specifically, the feature called Folder Portals.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

sl23 wrote: November 11th, 2021, 1:13 pm This has made me curious as to whether you could use this to create a horizontal icon only file list?

You are limited by only your imagination...
No spoilers this time 😶
from the Realm of Death
sl23

Post by sl23 »

@SilverAzide:
Nah, I'm quite happy with the app launcher skin I made,not the ones included in my Suites though, this is a more compact one with only 6 apps in two skins that I switch with a button. So one Skin has my main apps and the other gaming apps for my kids :D

@death.crafter:
Yeah, but my imagination is too good for my Rainmeter coding skills!!! :-(
:p :p :p
I was just curious, and found it an interesting thing to try. I just might have a go at it... Hope you don't mind the barrage of questions that will arise though! :oops:
- MuLab -
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

sl23 wrote: November 11th, 2021, 5:48 pm Hope you don't mind the barrage of questions that will arise though! :oops:
You know us better than that, don't you? ;-)
from the Realm of Death
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Well, kind of, but don't like to make assumptions.
:Whistle :D
- MuLab -
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

sl23 wrote: November 11th, 2021, 5:55 pm Well, kind of, but don't like to make assumptions.
:Whistle :D
I kind of also want to give this a go... But I wonder if I can squeeze out some free time...
If I can't I will just wait until I can steal yours :twisted:
from the Realm of Death
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Well I'm sure you'll do a far better job than me. But I'll give it a go. But I need time too! It's a completely new angle for me! O.O

It's not stealing, it's sharing :bow:
You've made more posts than me since joining less than a year ago, I joined 10 years ago! :jawdrop you must like helping out on here?
- MuLab -