It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:36 pm

Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 7.1.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

AtmaDarkwolf wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:15 pm Odd, all the others work, just the clipboard one won't Also, no rainmeter.log file in the folder(which is confusing cuz other temp files I know were recently created by rainmeter are there)
Check the About Log dialog to see if there's anything there. No Rainmeter.log is a major indicator of a problem; this file is always there unless it can't be created. It's looking more and more like you have some permissions problem with your Documents folder. The files that are there were probably created by the installer when Rainmeter was running elevated.

So the behavior you are seeing is not odd to me at all. The skins aren't able to configure themselves or change their config from the initial install. :(
AtmaDarkwolf

Post by AtmaDarkwolf »

About log dialog?

Also, the layouts are there (just tested, will write new layouts and also overwrite old one) so it has permissions to write to the folder. Just no log file at all...

Edit, attempted running rainmeter as admin(prefer not to do this but for this test was valid lol) and still same thing, other (all other gadget ones even those i never used) can be altered to change the background (IE solid, blurred edges) but clipboard will not allow it.

Did notice that in settings 'log to file' was not checked (Just enabled it now) and that seems to have made a log file so that was the issue...? (Its there but empty, nothing in the text at all)

Am requesting help in another thread about the small simple temp skin I have, to see if its related to this(if there is a way to modify the old skin to use new method of reporting, but it still uses old method with 'shared memory support' and did work before yesterday)
Last edited by AtmaDarkwolf on October 24th, 2021, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

AtmaDarkwolf wrote: October 24th, 2021, 10:35 pm About log dialog?

Also, the layouts are there (just tested, will write new layouts and also overwrite old one) so it has permissions to write to the folder. Just no log file at all...

Edit, attempted running rainmeter as admin(prefer not to do this but for this test was valid lol) and still same thing, other (all other gadget ones even those i never used) can be altered to change the background (IE solid, blurred edges) but clipboard will not allow it.

Did notice that in settings 'log to file' was not checked (Just enabled it now) and that seems to have made a log file so that was the issue...? (Its there but empty, nothing in the text at all)
To show the About Log dialog, right-click the Rainmeter icon in the system try, then select About. The Log tab is the default.

Please let me know what the log says (if anything) when you try to toggle the Clipboard Meter background setting. If nothing is showing, check the Debug mode option in the Rainmeter Settings dialog.

Also, you were saying the CPU Meter was not working; is this still the case? I'm getting confused as to what is working and what is not.
AtmaDarkwolf

Post by AtmaDarkwolf »

SilverAzide wrote: October 24th, 2021, 10:55 pm To show the About Log dialog, right-click the Rainmeter icon in the system try, then select About. The Log tab is the default.

Please let me know what the log says (if anything) when you try to toggle the Clipboard Meter background setting. If nothing is showing, check the Debug mode option in the Rainmeter Settings dialog.

Also, you were saying the CPU Meter was not working; is this still the case? I'm getting confused as to what is working and what is not.
Ya I am too. LOL Originally the cpu meter was borked and was not showing cores. NOW it is. I did NOT change anything and I restarted multiple times before (the pc I mean) attempting various fixes (None of which worked) - but it just 'worked' this morning when I started the pc up. (Its a AMD ryzen processes, and shows temp per core as well as core/average, etc) shows 12 cores(I assume its just splitting each of the 6 into 2 threads) but it works. So that is.. somehow... solved. (Which really was the original reason I came here right?) - but during all my attempts to fix that (including downloading fresh copies of the whole batch, etc, and eventually leading me to get the clipboard one, which is separated from the others and has to be downloaded alone)

And I don't remember having problems with the clipboard meter (Either this one or the old 'modern' version this was based on), and along with my simplistic 'temp' skin (One I wrote a few years ago) are (currently) the only 2 skins with issues. I Am attempting to track down if the problem with them is related (which would make sense if it was unable to write to documents, but that would affect ALL skins wouldn't it?)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

AtmaDarkwolf wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:03 pm And I don't remember having problems with the clipboard meter (Either this one or the old 'modern' version this was based on), and along with my simplistic 'temp' skin (One I wrote a few years ago) are (currently) the only 2 skins with issues. I Am attempting to track down if the problem with them is related (which would make sense if it was unable to write to documents, but that would affect ALL skins wouldn't it?)
Yeah, it would affect all skins, as you say. Let me know if there are any messages in the About Log. When you toggle the background setting, all it does is write the new setting to the variables file and refresh the skin. So something is failing there. I just did a full fresh install of Gadgets 7.1.1 and Clipboard Meter 6.1.0, and it's all working fine for me. :confused:
AtmaDarkwolf

Post by AtmaDarkwolf »

SilverAzide wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:20 pm Yeah, it would affect all skins, as you say. Let me know if there are any messages in the About Log. When you toggle the background setting, all it does is write the new setting to the variables file and refresh the skin. So something is failing there. I just did a full fresh install of Gadgets 7.1.1 and Clipboard Meter 6.1.0, and it's all working fine for me. :confused:
Yea there is, only thing popping out is errors related to the other (the simple self made skin) - Unable to read file: G:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\CPU-GPU temps\@Resources\Variables.inc (CPU-GPU temps\CPU-GPU temp.ini)

There is no such file at that location, and I never remember it needing this before.

then 2 listings of : Plugin: Unable to load "HWiNFO.dll" (error 126) (One for each of the 2 sensors for GPU and CPU temps)

Again, nothing related to the clipboard issue.

Just to clarify - At this point in this thread, the only gadgets related issue left is the clipboard, and in that its pretty much just that I cannot change the background (the options are there, but clicking them does not fill the empty 'dot' selection option)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

AtmaDarkwolf wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:35 pm Yea there is, only thing popping out is errors related to the other (the simple self made skin) - Unable to read file: G:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\CPU-GPU temps\@Resources\Variables.inc (CPU-GPU temps\CPU-GPU temp.ini)

There is no such file at that location, and I never remember it needing this before.
It's there in the skin you posted in another thread:

Code: Select all

[Variables]
@Include=#@#Variables.inc
So I'm running out of ideas about the Clipboard Meter. It is working perfectly for me. The skin uses an old plugin that appears to be abandoned, so perhaps it is failing to load for some reason. The log should show any errors. But changing the skin settings definitely should work, as that is just plain Rainmeter code. I'd be curious to know if you can see the write event showing up in the log when you change the setting. You would need to configure Rainmeter to run in Debug mode, like this:
Annotation 2021-10-24 194949.png
When you change a setting, you should see:

Code: Select all

!WriteKeyValue: Writing to: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Gadgets\@Resources\ClipboardVariables.inc (Gadgets\Clipboard Meter\Config\Settings.ini)
followed by the Clipboard Meter and Settings skins refreshing (read from the bottom up).
AtmaDarkwolf

Post by AtmaDarkwolf »

Right well, that is enabled and just shows string of 'reading' files(No errors) issue is just cannot click the options:

Clicking that has no effect. All of the other gadgets for this suite work, but the new clipboard one does not.
AtmaDarkwolf

Post by AtmaDarkwolf »

Right ok so I fixed it, but had to do it manually (after looking at the code and realizing it was seeking out ClipboardVariables.inc which was not in the clipboard folder, but rather in @resources)

Just going into it and changing BgStyle=1 to BgStyle=3 solved the problem. (Still no explanation why the config skin does not work)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

AtmaDarkwolf wrote: October 25th, 2021, 4:34 am Right ok so I fixed it, but had to do it manually (after looking at the code and realizing it was seeking out ClipboardVariables.inc which was not in the clipboard folder, but rather in @resources)

Just going into it and changing BgStyle=1 to BgStyle=3 solved the problem. (Still no explanation why the config skin does not work)
No idea what is going on with your machine. The ClipboardVariables.inc file isn't in the skin folder, it is supposed to be in the @Resources folder as you discovered, and you would definitely see an error in the log if it was in the wrong spot. The config skin definitely works, I double-checked it to confirm there was no mistake. All the Setting skins in the suite work exactly the same.