It is currently April 20th, 2024, 9:57 am

ModernGadgets 1.8.2

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: ModernGadgets 1.8.1

Post by SilverAzide »

brellyn wrote: October 11th, 2021, 8:00 pm The BIOS sees cores only. Windows sees threads as they are, virtual components of cores. HWINFO running under Windows see's cores and threads separately. Even Rainmeter/MGadgets understands the difference, showing temperatures for the cores, but not the threads, which is the whole purpose of my issue. You can't show a temperature for a thread, because a thread is not hardware and does not have an associated temperature.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the gadget is confusing for someone who is a true computer nerd afflicted with a bit of ADHD. :welcome: The gadget should read "threads" if it's going to show 24 entries and forgo showing temperatures for 1/2 of the threads, or it should retain the correct term "cores" and only show actual real cores and their temperatures. To satisfy both camps, a toggle would be a great compromise. Anything else just doesn't make logical sense.
Sorry, none of those arguments is relevant. Even HWiNFO isn't going to make any difference. The fact remains that Windows is seeing logical cores, and the usage percentages are reported by logical core. Even HWiNFO shows you the 24 threads (or logical cores) for the percent usage, and you won't get Windows or HWiNFO to turn them into just 12 no matter how much you'd like them to. Look at the Performance Counters (Processor > % Processor Time), which is where Rainmeter (and HWiNFO) get the usage data... there are 24 logical cores, ordered 0 to 23.

In a separate issue, the reason you are not seeing all the temps is that there is something misconfigured in the skin. Each pair of logical cores should show the same temperature, corresponding to the physical core. Your skin appears off somehow, it should not show any zero values (this could be related to a HWiNFO reporting bug in a recent 7.x release, where some cores on AMD CPUs are missing). For AMD CPUs that can report per-core temps, and for Intel CPUs, the skin should report temps in pairs (each pair of cores will show the same temp). A toggle is not going to help you here, as you are showing two different things: percent usage for logical cores and temps for physical cores.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Sherminator98

Post by Sherminator98 »

i'm getting a virus warning from Windows defender when I download either 1.8.0 or 1.8.1....any ideas what is going on?

Trojan:Win32/Predator.RR!MTB

containerfile: C:\Users\sdimm\Downloads\ModernGadgets_v1.8.0.rmskin

file: C:\Users\sdimm\Downloads\ModernGadgets_v1.8.0.rmskin->Skins/ModernGadgets/@Resources/Addons/RainFile/RainFile.exe

webfile: C:\Users\sdimm\Downloads\ModernGadgets_v1.8.0.rmskin|https://github-releases.githubusercontent.com/49916222/12447967-591b-4e02-bd63-2528f3847101?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWNJYAX4CSVEH53A%2F20211012%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20211012T025240Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=24d4a8e9e755f84d26c37f12113f9aeeddeb9ca36db9b34eb7f835cd951f69ef&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&actor_id=0&key_id=0&repo_id=49916222&response-
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Sherminator98 wrote: October 12th, 2021, 3:03 am i'm getting a virus warning from Windows defender when I download either 1.8.0 or 1.8.1....any ideas what is going on?

Trojan:Win32/Predator.RR!MTB

containerfile: C:\Users\sdimm\Downloads\ModernGadgets_v1.8.0.rmskin

file: C:\Users\sdimm\Downloads\ModernGadgets_v1.8.0.rmskin->Skins/ModernGadgets/@Resources/Addons/RainFile/RainFile.exe

webfile: C:\Users\sdimm\Downloads\ModernGadgets_v1.8.0.rmskin|https://github-releases.githubusercontent.com/49916222/12447967-591b-4e02-bd63-2528f3847101?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWNJYAX4CSVEH53A%2F20211012%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20211012T025240Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=24d4a8e9e755f84d26c37f12113f9aeeddeb9ca36db9b34eb7f835cd951f69ef&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&actor_id=0&key_id=0&repo_id=49916222&response-
I am getting this too. For some reason MS Defender is triggering on this skin due to inclusion of RainFile.exe. I'd point out that these skins have been using RainFile for years, and RainFile has been around since 2015 or so, so I have no idea why MS is suddenly having issues with this. You can whitelist it if you want, up to you...
Sherminator98

Post by Sherminator98 »

SilverAzide wrote: October 12th, 2021, 12:08 pm I am getting this too. For some reason MS Defender is triggering on this skin due to inclusion of RainFile.exe. I'd point out that these skins have been using RainFile for years, and RainFile has been around since 2015 or so, so I have no idea why MS is suddenly having issues with this. You can whitelist it if you want, up to you...
I have a second PC running Rainmeter/Modern Gadgets, so I just updated it and then took the updated rmskin file to PC I was trying to install it on.
y0himba

Post by y0himba »

I've used it for years as well, and never had a detection, still haven't. I ran it through Virustotal just to see why it's being triggered, and for some reason the community has been giving it negative scores (-1).

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/af6da297a28d23c4d9837e63904c7ed8b28672e0a82da0e6aa14374fcade7873/detection
---
Once up a time there was a now playing signature here. Now it is no more. Maybe someone can make a now playing sig gen for Last.fm? :thumbup:
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

SilverAzide wrote: October 11th, 2021, 8:41 pm Sorry, none of those arguments is relevant. Even HWiNFO isn't going to make any difference. The fact remains that Windows is seeing logical cores, and the usage percentages are reported by logical core. Even HWiNFO shows you the 24 threads (or logical cores) for the percent usage, and you won't get Windows or HWiNFO to turn them into just 12 no matter how much you'd like them to. Look at the Performance Counters (Processor > % Processor Time), which is where Rainmeter (and HWiNFO) get the usage data... there are 24 logical cores, ordered 0 to 23.

In a separate issue, the reason you are not seeing all the temps is that there is something misconfigured in the skin. Each pair of logical cores should show the same temperature, corresponding to the physical core. Your skin appears off somehow, it should not show any zero values (this could be related to a HWiNFO reporting bug in a recent 7.x release, where some cores on AMD CPUs are missing). For AMD CPUs that can report per-core temps, and for Intel CPUs, the skin should report temps in pairs (each pair of cores will show the same temp). A toggle is not going to help you here, as you are showing two different things: percent usage for logical cores and temps for physical cores.
Windows knows exactly how many physical cores this machine has..
Image1.jpg
I think we're scrambling around terminology here. Logical cores vs physical cores. Only a physical core can have a temperature. Looking at physical core 0, logical core 1 and logical core 2 will show the same temperature. This is because both are showing the temperature of physical core 0. Duplicating the Core 0 temperature by showing the exact same data twice (Logical core 1 and logical core 2) is redundant and useless. It is impossible for those numbers to disagree. Only one thread can run on any logical core. So, if you have a CPU with 4 physical cores that has 8 logical cores, the CPU is capable of running 8 simultaneous threads. 8 logical cores = 8 threads. Since SMT was invented, I have NEVER heard a tech call a CPU "4 physical cores and 8 logical cores", they ALWAYS say "4 cores, 8 threads". The CPU gadget shows "core1:" and "core2:" etc, but doesn't denote if it's a physical core or a logical one. That is confusing. If it's going to show Physical cores, then "core1:" makes sense, but the display should only show 12 cores. If it's going to use logical cores, then the briefest way to note that is to use "thread1:", unless you think spelling out "Logical core1:" makes sense. In either case, what the display shows should be accurate and configurable for the end user.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bribeired

Post by Bribeired »

@raiguard Awesome skin, but misspelled Network System Settiings.
Helium96

Post by Helium96 »

Hi,
This is a very nice and informative gadget. Instructions are clear.
For the CPU Usage, is there any possible ways to only display the CPU temps without all the cores?
RevBillyG

Post by RevBillyG »

Great suite thanks a lot.

However, it seems that the CPU temps aren't working for Alder Lake CPUs.
I can see the results in HWiNFOIndexList.txt fine but, then add the sensor numbers to HWiNFOSettings.inc but the skin still shows 0c
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

RevBillyG wrote: December 30th, 2021, 8:13 pm Great suite thanks a lot.

However, it seems that the CPU temps aren't working for Alder Lake CPUs.
I can see the results in HWiNFOIndexList.txt fine but, then add the sensor numbers to HWiNFOSettings.inc but the skin still shows 0c
I don't mean to redirect your question, but would you mind trying the Gadgets suite (download here) to see if it works with your Alder Lake CPU? I went to great pains to make sure it would work, but I could not test it. I don't know of any other skin that would work properly with an Alder Lake CPU. ModernGadgets is a reworking of the Gadgets suite, so if it works, then raiguard would have a path forward to update his CPU Meter.