It is currently April 16th, 2024, 6:42 am

[suggestion] store for rainmeater

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
tarbear123

[suggestion] store for rainmeater

Post by tarbear123 »

i think they should add a store like on steamdeck to make it easier to download music/skins
[img]C:\Users\taran\Pictures\Rainmeater store[/img] [img]C:\Users\taran\Pictures\Rainmeater stor[/img]
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [suggestion] store for rainmeater

Post by jsmorley »

We have long regretted the lack of a good, easy, place to host and download skins for Rainmeter, but there is just not a good solution at this time.

The issues are

1) It would take a dedicated site
2) It would require a lot of storage space
3) It would require a lot of bandwidth
4) The site would have to have lots of capabilities to be useful:
a) Have to have some kind of membership / login capability for uploading
b) Have to have a way for users to upload / modify / delete skins
c) Have to have decent capabilities for adding descriptions and images for the uploads
d) Have to have a way to add and manage comments and questions about the uploads
e) Have to have some way for some "admins" of the site to manage users and vet skins that are uploaded
f) Have to have pretty robust "categories" and "search" capabilities

deviantART was always the go-to place for this in the past, but recent changes to how they operate has made that site much less useful and friendly. There is just not a good alternative at this time. Another alternative in the past was customize.org, which was really well executed, but the guy who ran that realized that 1) He had no way to financially support / monetize it, and 2) It was just an enormous amount of work to keep it free of spam and manage things in general. He just gave up and took it down, which is what I suspect would happen with any site that tried to do this.

So if someone wants to stand up and support a really robust site that can do all this, feel free to go for it.

About the best we can do right now is to point folks to the Share Your Creations area of these forums. It doesn't have any "gallery" or good "search" capabilities. but is a reasonably easy way for authors to post their creations, and for folks to easily download them.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [suggestion] store for rainmeater

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 1:58 pm About the best we can do right now is to point folks to the Share Your Creations area of these forums. It doesn't have any "gallery" or good "search" capabilities. but is a reasonably easy way for authors to post their creations, and for folks to easily download them.
Mordasius built a really neat Share Your Creations gallery skin earlier this year, but unfortunately it broke somehow. I think something subtle must have changed in the forum, so the HTML scraping code isn't working right and, with all the gnarly Lua and regexps involved, I've been unable to figure out how to fix it. I got some parts working again, but the most important bits are still broken. :-(

Here's the post:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36475&p=186966#p186966
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...