It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:52 am

Thread about Windows 11

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Thread about Windows 11

Post by death.crafter »

Yincognito wrote: September 27th, 2021, 5:25 pm Well, I just got myself a Win 11 "compatible" laptop (all Ryzen and sh*t...), but obviously chose to install W10 21H1 instead of W11, just because it's sort of a "known quantity" that I know what to expect (or not expect) of...
NewSystemW11OK.jpg
The only thing that drives me crazy is that I can't easily see how optimized are Rainmeter skins in terms of performance on this beast, it's all below 1% now. I guess I own balala some apologies for making a big fuss about optimizing one's skins irrespective of how good is the hardware they run on, because, although I undoubtedly have the same opinion about it, I didn't realize that you simply can't see if you wrote a badly optimized skin or not in such a case. :confused:
Congrats on the new beast! I guess I will be stuck with the scrawny cat for a little longer :rofl:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

This question is for the devs, will there be an announcement made about Rainmeter on Windows 11 or in the future?
Beaside adding W11 SysInfo support, making RM not crash on Insider builds (revisions 3540 and 3412 respectively) and how the WMIC command is getting it's last moments alive to then be dragged into the woods at midnight to be buried, will you guys create something to detail anything like that? (and also talk about stuff like killing off W7 , changing the .NET build, maybe respect windows theming scheme or something idk)
Non-issue really, just curious :v
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

death.crafter wrote: September 27th, 2021, 6:29 pm Congrats on the new beast! I guess I will be stuck with the scrawny cat for a little longer :rofl:
Well, I still have my old laptop (a bit difficult to sell such an old system at any price), so it's not like I got rid of it entirely. ;-) If it wasn't for the literal breaking apart of it (some screws, the keyboard, the headset port, the CPU getting hot), I would still be on it, getting the new one was simply out of necessity. :confused:
Jeff wrote: September 27th, 2021, 6:59 pm This question is for the devs, will there be an announcement made about Rainmeter on Windows 11 or in the future?
Beaside adding W11 SysInfo support, making RM not crash on Insider builds (revisions 3540 and 3412 respectively) and how the WMIC command is getting it's last moments alive to then be dragged into the woods at midnight to be buried, will you guys create something to detail anything like that? (and also talk about stuff like killing off W7 , changing the .NET build, maybe respect windows theming scheme or something idk)
Non-issue really, just curious :v
I support this as well. Normally, this should be the thread to talk about these issues, but of course, it's down to the progress of Win 11 as well, since some things may fail on Insider builds and could work just fine on the "final" version. And since we're at it, it seems there's already a release version of it, according to PC Gamer.
Fatcho

Post by Fatcho »

Hello.

Taking advantage of the topic.

Does anyone know if there is a skin to transform the start equal to windows 10?
New builds 22000 or more, no longer allow via regedit.
I thought someone knows a skin for this
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Fatcho wrote: October 4th, 2021, 5:14 pm Hello.

Taking advantage of the topic.

Does anyone know if there is a skin to transform the start equal to windows 10?
New builds 22000 or more, no longer allow via regedit.
I thought someone knows a skin for this
A Rainmeter skin can't transform the Windows start menu, the most it can do is to replicate / adjust it in the Rainmeter context, i.e. as a (separate) skin. In other words, it may look like the start menu you like, but it won't be the start menu. There are some Rainmeter skins that try to do that with varying degrees of success, but since I'm not really into looking for that, I'll let others cover that part.

As for getting back the actual Windows 10 start menu in Windows 11, it seems this claims it's possible by using Stardock's Start11 application. It's not a free application though.
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

Curse on me! I have updated to win11 aaaaandd.. Oh, that's really beautiful! In spite many old windows features can be set only through registry, the new design is amazing. I am prepairing my fifth point to be burned becabuse deprecaed features and new bugs, but now i am happy, haha! Glad to see Rainmeter entirely compatible witn "new" OS. :) :o :thumbup: :great:
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Security-wise, are there any completely new features in Win11 that are not accessible in Win10? (Also, hi! Have been busy)
Secure boot, TPM 2.0, VBS, HVIC - I have them all enabled in Win10, and aside from online articles talking about normal internet security practices or hyping up other stuff, I can't find any major features that I can't already enable. Am I missing something? I'll eventually switch to Win11, but if there's nothing major missing in security, I'd rather wait a while and see what useability thorns they'll smooth out.