It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:18 am

After start/restart notebook Rainmeter create Updates folder in recycle bin - Auto update not working - W7

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
SGvagon

After start/restart notebook Rainmeter create Updates folder in recycle bin - Auto update not working - W7

Post by SGvagon »

Hello,

I updated Rainmeter on the latest stable version 4.5.0.3518 (64-bit) , but when I start my laptop or restart system, Rainmeter still creating empty folder named Updates in recycle bin. This happens when I only log off and log on to the system or simply restart Rainmeter manually too. Is it something wrong with this version or something broke in my styles? I am using .sands Rainmeter skin https://www.deviantart.com/oowlcityy/art/sands-255102661 .

Thank you in advance.
Updates in recycle bin.png
I am using Windows 7 PRO x64bit, if that help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SGvagon on September 27th, 2021, 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SGvagon

Re: After start/restart notebook Rainmeter create Updates folder in recycle bin

Post by SGvagon »

I see, that you Released new version yesterday (4.5.2.3541) , where I don't have this issue anymore. But still this is strange, so I am not locking this threat yet.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

The Updates folder is created only when an new version of Rainmeter has downloaded and is waiting to be installed. Once the new version is installed, that folder is deleted....although it shouldn't show up in your Recycle Bin under normal circumstances (at least on Windows 10, not sure about Windows 7). Either way, this is normal "update" behavior at this time.

It may have happened twice in the past day since we did 2 releases within 1 day. Hopefully that won't happen again.

-Brian
SGvagon

Post by SGvagon »

Brian: Yes, from version (4.5.2.3541) it fixed now on Windows 7 :) . This folder is not showing in recycle bin anymore.
SGvagon

Post by SGvagon »

Hi, the problem with creating Updates folder in recycle bin is back from tomorrow :( . Maybe that you released new version 4.5.3? I still have 4.5.2.3541 . So maybe that's a reason why this folder is still creating in recycle bin :???: ?

I have checked Automatic Install updates in Rainmeter settings, but I still have version 4.5.2.3541. Is that feature maybe broken? I don't see any notification from Rainmeter about new versions too (EDIT: I see only in logs).
Check_updates.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SGvagon on September 26th, 2021, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGvagon

Post by SGvagon »

And again, after update to the latest version, Updates folder not creating anymore. So my Rainmeter not updating automatically (I have three Windows 7 machines and my friend one Windows 7 machine too. On all machines auto updates not working) .
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

SGvagon wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:15 pm And again, after update to the latest version, Updates folder not creating anymore. So my Rainmeter not updating automatically (I have three Windows 7 machines and my friend one Windows 7 machine too. On all machines auto updates not working) .
This is confusing to me, if you are on the latest version, there will be no "Updates" folder anywhere.

So let's clear some things up before we get too much further.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/installing-rainmeter/auto-update/#AutoUpdateNotes

If you are using the "Automatically install updates" feature, Rainmeter will automatically download the new version to a folder called Updates. This folder is not located in your Recycle Bin, but it is located in your %APPDATA%\Rainmeter folder. Once the download is complete, you should get a notification that a new version is ready to be installed. On Windows 10, this notification pops up in the corner of the screen and is then moved to the "Action Center". On Windows 7, you just a notification in the corner, but once it's timer runs out, it disappears. At the same time, an entry is made in your Rainmeter.data file indicating "where" the new installer is located (it should be in your Updates folder). Also, on the Rainmeter context menu, you will see an entry at the top of the menu labelled "Install new version". All this menu option does is restart Rainmeter.

When Rainmeter is restarted (either manually or if you clicked on that context menu item), Rainmeter will check for an entry in the Rainmeter.data file. If the new installer location is there, it verifies the signature of the installer and then runs the installer. You should see a UAC prompt here (if you have that enabled). Once the new installer has completed and Rainmeter has restarted, it will delete the previous installer, and also the Updates folder.

The only other time the Updates folder is deleted, is if the installer's signature isn't correct - in which case, the Updates folder will also be deleted. If the signatures do not match, it could be caused some some other process modifying the installer in some way (maybe an anti-virus program or malware).

These are the only 2 scenarios in which the Updates folder is deleted.

The auto update feature hasn't been changed since we introduced it in version 4.5.0, so if it worked for you in the past, it should be working again.

I suspect the auto updates are working fine, but you are seeing the Updates folder in the Recycle Bin after the process is complete. This is normal behavior. Although on Windows 10 the Updates folder does not show up in the Recycle Bin after it was deleted, it seems to be showing up in your Recycle Bin on Windows 7.

-Brian
SGvagon

Post by SGvagon »

Brian : It strange, but auto updates never worked on my machines. Rainmeter never poped out any message about update. And as I said, the Updates folder creates every restart system, or restart Rainmeter manually. So after few days I have lots of Updates folders in recycle bin without any real automatic update Rainmeter :uhuh: .
I don't know what's happening. But I think that auto update is broken on Windows 7. I still have to update Rainmeter manually.

Only when I have actual (the latest) version of Rainmeter, this Updates folder not creating in recycle bin.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

SGvagon wrote: September 26th, 2021, 10:56 pm I don't know what's happening. But I think that auto update is broken on Windows 7. I still have to update Rainmeter manually.
I am not sure it is broken just yet since this is the only report of it not working on Windows 7. It was working well on our initial tests.

So, if you don't mind, it would be helpful for you to post your Rainmeter log to help us better understand what is failing.

Here are the steps:
  1. With the >>current version<< of Rainmeter running, make sure the following checkboxes are checked in the Rainmeter manage dialog.
    Manage > Settings tab:
    • Check for updates
    • Automatically install updates
    • Debug mode
    • Log to file
  2. Download Rainmeter version 4.5.2. You can get it here: https://github.com/rainmeter/rainmeter/releases/tag/v4.5.2.3541
  3. Run the installer for Rainmeter 4.5.2 and then run Rainmeter after the installation has completed.
  4. Once Rainmeter starts, it should attempt to download version 4.5.3. Once it has finished downloading, you should get a notification. This usually only takes a minute or so depending on your internet connection. Please leave Rainmeter running.
  5. After a few minutes, while Rainmeter is still running, please copy the contents of your Rainmeter.log file into a separate file. Name the file something like Rainmeter1.log or something similar.
  6. Once you have copied the log, please restart Rainmeter.
  7. After Rainmeter restarts, please copy your Rainmeter.log again. This time, name the copied file something like Rainmeter2.log.
  8. Post both logs here in this thread, so I can see what errors you are getting.
I suspect some corruption is happening somewhere and the downloaded file is being modified somehow. You may want to scan your PC for malware, and then turn off your Anti-virus and repeats steps 1-3 from above and see if that helps.

-Brian
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

I run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with Service Pack 1.
I can confirm that I have noticed that the auto-updating has not been working for me as well. But I didn't make any research on this matter before today. After poking around I have these things to share with you Brian:

1. Rainmeter shows a bubble notification when a new version is available.
This bubble always worked on my different machines as far as I remember. And today it worked too.

I also agree with Brian that the bubble is quite not working well since when it was introduced on Windows. It disappears after some timer. When I started my laptop, at the beginning I saw the bubble, but when I wanted to open a Snipping Tool to take a screenshot of it, the bubble just disappeared by simply pressing the Start button, and the bubble never appeared again. It is just how it worked on all Windows-es before Windows 8 I suppose, when the new Action Center was introduced there.

2. Rainmeter creates Updates folder when a new version is available but instantly moves it into Recycle Bin.
When I installed 4.5.2.3541 today and before I started Rainmeter, I opened Roaming\Rainmeter folder to observe it. When I started Rainmeter, the folder Updates appeared, but disappeared after couple of seconds. It appeared in Recycle Bin.

3. Rainmeter deletes Updates folder only when a new version is available.
I have just installed the latest 4.5.3.3546 version at the moment. On the start, it has neither created one, nor deleted one when I manually created it and restarted Rainmeter.... yet. I believe it will do create and delete it once a new update is available. It was also confirmed by SGvagon:

when they updated to the latest at one moment version:
SGvagon wrote: September 13th, 2021, 2:19 am I see, that you Released new version yesterday (4.5.2.3541) , where I don't have this issue anymore. But still this is strange, so I am not locking this threat yet.
when the new version became available:
SGvagon wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:01 pm Hi, the problem with creating Updates folder in recycle bin is back from tomorrow :( . Maybe that you released new version 4.5.3? I still have 4.5.2.3541 . So maybe that's a reason why this folder is still creating in recycle bin :???: ?

4. Rainmeter does download the update file.
But it is not in Updates folder. As I said, if you restore the Updates folder it is empty inside. This is where the updates are:
Capture.PNG
If I run them manually they install per usual.

5. "Install new version" is not in the context menu.
Not that label. "Update available" is the label that appears in the context menu, even though, as seen above, Rainmeter does download the update file.

6. There is no mention about " "where" the new installer is located " in Rainmeter.data.
Brian wrote: September 26th, 2021, 10:04 pm At the same time, an entry is made in your Rainmeter.data file indicating "where" the new installer is located (it should be in your Updates folder).
I have reverted back to 4.5.2.3541 to see what happens when a new version is available. What I have there is this:

Code: Select all

[Favorites]
Favorite1=DesktopVision\DesktopVision7.ini
Favorite2=Freme\Freme.ini
Favorite3=rDock\rDock.ini
[Dialog_NewSkin]
[Rainmeter]
LastCheck=4.5.3
[GameMode_v1]
star5598279976267841412=5598279976267841412
stop5598279976267841412=5598279976267841412
full5598279976267841412=0
mode5598279976267841412=0
list5598279976267841412=5598279976267841412

7. The signature is supposedly correct, signed by Firebit OU per usual.
Brian wrote: September 26th, 2021, 10:04 pm The only other time the Updates folder is deleted, is if the installer's signature isn't correct - in which case, the Updates folder will also be deleted. If the signatures do not match, it could be caused some some other process modifying the installer in some way (maybe an anti-virus program or malware).
Then, can you check the signatures? Here is the file that Rainmeter has downloaded, which is located in C:\Users\QUARTZ\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LFOJY80K
Rainmeter-4.5.3[2].exe.zip

8. ERRO (10:08:48.489) : >>Verify installer error: 0xc000000d (-1073741811)
Rainmeter.log

9. Clean install does not fix this issue.
I have restarted my laptop as well after uninstalling Rainmeter.