It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:39 am

Rainmeter.ini Relative Positioning?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
sl23

Rainmeter.ini Relative Positioning?

Post by sl23 »

Just wondering why this isn't available in the Rainmeter.ini? Is there a problem with using it in this file.

If it's due to the Manager causing confusion with less tech savvy users, I think having a radio check box would be simple enough to show if relative positioning is active for a specific meter or not.

Drag any meter, and the rest follow suit due to the relative positions.

I think it would be very useful to use when creating layouts with certain skins/suite's. :D
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter.ini Relative Positioning?

Post by balala »

sl23 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:22 pm Just wondering why this isn't available in the Rainmeter.ini? Is there a problem with using it in this file.

If it's due to the Manager causing confusion with less tech savvy users, I think having a radio check box would be simple enough to show if relative positioning is active for a specific meter or not.

I think it would be very useful to use when creating layouts with certain skins/suite's. :D
In Rainmeter.ini we're positioning skins, not meters. But beside this, unlike the meters in a skin, the order of configs in Rainmeter.ini can easily vary (the order of meters in a skin in case of relative positioning matters a lot and never changes). Relative positioning here in such case I think would cause more problems then how many benefits has. A dev for sure can be give a much detailed answer, but I think doesn't really make sense the relative position of skins / configs.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

sl23 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:22 pm Just wondering why this isn't available in the Rainmeter.ini? Is there a problem with using it in this file.

For multiple SKINS see: DragGroup
For multiple METERS see: Groups and RELATIVE POSITION and SECTION VARIABLES:X & Y
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Yeah I meant skins as this is to do with Rainmeter.ini. :? :oops:

From what I've seen, the order NEVER changes once skins have been loaded in that layout. They only change if you load a new layout then load a new skin for that layout.ini.

So once a specific layout has been configured in Rainmeter.ini, it stays that way unless you delete any of the skin sections from it.

But a way around the layout order could be to show this order in the Manage window at the click of a button, with drag and drop to reorder them. There's always a way if it's willing to be accepted ;-)

I've seen quite a few suites that would benefit from relative positioning. That's one of the reasons that in the past I always combine everything into one skin! it becomes a hassle if you have to move one! You just cannot drag and drop skins with any accuracy, unless you adjust mouse sensitivity and move all skins, then go back and reset mouse sensitivity again! A hassle.

I know it's not an easy thing to resolve for the dev's and I know it'll probably be shunned with reasons unknown to me, but it's just a thought I had seeing as I'm wanting to move several skins around and the only way I can do it with accuracy is to edit their positions in either the Manage window or via Rainmeter.ini, pita! :twisted: :p

@et: Thanks for the tip on drag groups! That at least is a way forward. Means I'll have to add these to each Skins Rainmeter section, and redistribute with instructions on usage. Not a bad thing really but room for improvement imho. :oops: :Whistle

EDIT: DragGroup works a treat! :thumbup:
EDIT: Only problem with DragGroup is that you can't use the arrow keys to adjust the position of a single skin in that group. Maybe if you could hold CTRL and use the arrow keys would be better? Otherwise this solves the issue. :D