It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:09 am

Upgrade. NET Framework for C# plugin examples

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Upgrade. NET Framework for C# plugin examples

Post by death.crafter »

Today I was trying our ParentChildPlugin and I changed the plugin to use .NET Framework 4.8 instead of 2.something and it didn't work. I haven't looked closely for what is not working cause I am pretty much a noob. But the frameworks should be updated for the example plugins along with the code.

I tested the original plugin cause my plugin crashed rainmeter.
The reason was differemt if you are wondering.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Upgrade. NET Framework for C# plugin examples

Post by SilverAzide »

death.crafter wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 12:05 pm Today I was trying our ParentChildPlugin and I changed the plugin to use .NET Framework 4.8 instead of 2.something and it didn't work. I haven't looked closely for what is not working cause I am pretty much a noob. But the frameworks should be updated for the example plugins along with the code.
When you say "didn't work", can you be more specific? I upgraded the C# solution to .NET 4.8 a while ago and it is working fine (for my plugin anyway, I didn't run the examples, but they build fine).
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

SilverAzide wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 12:37 pm When you say "didn't work", can you be more specific? I upgraded the C# solution to .NET 4.8 a while ago and it is working fine (for my plugin anyway, I didn't run the examples, but they build fine).
Ohh. It was parentchild plugin to be specific. I tried the skin provided in the code itself ofc.

And I was saying in general as old framework is used. Tho I don't know if it matters or not. As I said, I'm pretty much a noob😅
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Well, I guess there's actually a bigger question. The .NET Framework 4.8 is EOL sometime around 2026, if I recall correctly. So the real question is why not upgrade to .NET 5.0 (formerly named ".NET Core", which is not fully backward compatible with Framework 4.8, as far as I know). I'm not sure the features of the .NET Framework are all needed by Rainmeter anyway, .NET Core/5 may be sufficient.

The biggest reasons to NOT upgrade past .NET 4.8 (for now) is that 4.8 is pretty much everywhere because recent builds of Windows 10 come with it, and that .NET 5.0+ would require a separate download. At a minimum, .NET Framework 3.5 comes with Windows 7 (which is the minimum version for running Rainmeter).