It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:18 pm

[Solved] Meters and measure hidden/disabled still consuming CPU

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Duschmoll

Re: Meters and measure hidden/disabled still consuming CPU

Post by Duschmoll »

jsmorley wrote: September 14th, 2021, 10:45 am Depends, I didn't follow what plugin is involved. If it is one of the built-in Rainmeter plugins, then yes. If it is a 3rd-party plugin, it's best to post in some support thread for the plugin, or contact the author directly.
Thanks, it's about the UsageMonitor plugin, I'll post on the right forum.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Ah, I see it is UsageMonitor. That plugin has a particular behavior that is a bit different than others. What it does is launch a "thread" for each instance of the plugin in your skin(s) and it continues to do its work, monitoring the information requested, once a second, and will continue to do so no matter what Update for the skin is, or what UpdateDivider is on the measure. It's very efficient, and shouldn't take a ton of resources, but yeah, it's not going to be possible to make that "zero".

This is about "economies of scale", in that the thread that is launched will monitor the entire "category", and if you have 5 measures that are all monitoring different counters/instances in that category, they will all share the same thread. So you get 5 for 1 if you see what I mean. However, to do this, the plugin needs to continue to execute while ANY measures still exist that require it, and will only shut down the thread when there are no measures using it, and will only shut down the plugin when there are no measures using any of it. UpdateDivider on the measure has NO impact on this. That will only be of any use to control how often "tests" on the returned value, like IfCondition / IfMatch and such, are executed.
Duschmoll

Post by Duschmoll »

jsmorley wrote: September 14th, 2021, 10:48 am Ah, I see it is UsageMonitor. That plugin has a particular behavior that is a bit different than others. What it does is launch a "thread" for each instance of the plugin in you skin(s) and it continues to do its work, monitoring the information requested, once a second, and will continue to do so no matter what Update for the skin is, or what UpdateDivider is on the measure. It's very efficient, and shouldn't take a ton of resources, but yeah, it's not going to be possible to make that "zero".
Thanks you, no need to create another post then

Thanks for the help of everyone involved ! :thumbup:
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Meters and measure hiding/disabled still consuming CPU

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: September 14th, 2021, 10:28 am
I think you read it wrong. I said

Update=-1
And not
UpdateDivider=-1

I know redraw will take some resources but Update=-1 doesn't update the skin at all. I broke my laptop today, so can't test it out right now extensively but I think his skin used a little resources even with Update=-1.
from the Realm of Death
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

death.crafter wrote: September 14th, 2021, 12:08 pm I think you read it wrong. I said

Update=-1
And not
UpdateDivider=-1

I know redraw will take some resources but Update=-1 doesn't update the skin at all. I broke my laptop today, so can't test it out right now extensively but I think his skin used a little resources even with Update=-1.
It will use a little if you have any UsageMonitor measures.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: September 14th, 2021, 12:09 pm It will use a little if you have any UsageMonitor measures.
Ohh. It's a a bug then.
Or may be a feature :lol:
from the Realm of Death
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

death.crafter wrote: September 14th, 2021, 12:12 pm Ohh. It's a a bug then.
Or may be a feature :lol:
I explained at some length just a post or two ago why it is this way, and why it is not a bug...
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: September 14th, 2021, 12:13 pm I explained at some length just a post or two ago why it is this way, and why it is not a bug...
Ohh right. I didnt follow up. My bad.
from the Realm of Death