It is currently April 19th, 2024, 10:39 am

NOOB Troubles - Background Not Changing + Extended/Multiple Displays

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
ScipioAmericanus

NOOB Troubles - Background Not Changing + Extended/Multiple Displays

Post by ScipioAmericanus »

Hello,

I did a search on both of these topics and only found posts that were related to people trying to create skins. Also, I read through the manual portions related to installing and running the application, but nothing helped (that I saw.)

1. Background Not Changing
Rainmeter installs correctly and the semi-transparent boxes (Welcome/Clock/System/Disks) all appear as expected. My Windows wallpaper, however remains the same. I've tried installing a different skin (and it seems to be accepted by Rainmeter, as it shows up,) but again my wallpaper remains. Is there a Windows setting I need to change to have the full skin appear as expected?

2. Extended/Multiple Displays
I have a multiple monitor setup, can Rainmeter be extended across all the displays? Not as a duplication of the main display, but rather as an extension?

Thank you for any guidance/suggestions you can provide!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: NOOB Troubles - Background Not Changing + Extended/Multiple Displays

Post by balala »

ScipioAmericanus wrote: September 13th, 2021, 3:49 pm 1. Background Not Changing
Rainmeter installs correctly and the semi-transparent boxes (Welcome/Clock/System/Disks) all appear as expected. My Windows wallpaper, however remains the same. I've tried installing a different skin (and it seems to be accepted by Rainmeter, as it shows up,) but again my wallpaper remains. Is there a Windows setting I need to change to have the full skin appear as expected?
Why should Rainmeter replace the wallpaper? It can, there is a bang to do this, however the default illustro skin has no such features. However you can find some skins out there which can set the wallpaper (even if I can't recommend one right now).
ScipioAmericanus wrote: September 13th, 2021, 3:49 pm 2. Extended/Multiple Displays
I have a multiple monitor setup, can Rainmeter be extended across all the displays? Not as a duplication of the main display, but rather as an extension?
As far as I can tell (I have one single monitor, so am not entirely sure), you can drag skins to any available monitor on your system. Probably someone using more monitor will have to make a much specific recommendation (sorry...).
ScipioAmericanus

Post by ScipioAmericanus »

Why should Rainmeter replace the wallpaper? It can, there is a bang to do this, however the default illustro skin has no such features. However you can find some skins out there which can set the wallpaper (even if I can't recommend one right now).
Ahh, many of the skins I'm seeing on DeviantArt all seem to be built for certain wallpapers, so I was very confused when the wallpaper wasn't appearing.

The skin I'm trying to use now has many facets, all with individual .ini files. Is there a way to activate them all? Right now it seems I have to activate each element one at a time.
As far as I can tell (I have one single monitor, so am not entirely sure), you can drag skins to any available monitor on your system. Probably someone using more monitor will have to make a much specific recommendation (sorry...).
No worries, this at least gives me an idea to test. So thank you very much for that! :)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

ScipioAmericanus wrote: September 13th, 2021, 9:07 pm Ahh, many of the skins I'm seeing on DeviantArt all seem to be built for certain wallpapers, so I was very confused when the wallpaper wasn't appearing.
Usually a skin doesn't include a wallpaper, even if it could. I rarely saw something like this. Usually when you are installing a skin, the desktop keeps the current wallpaper.
ScipioAmericanus wrote: September 13th, 2021, 9:07 pm The skin I'm trying to use now has many facets, all with individual .ini files. Is there a way to activate them all? Right now it seems I have to activate each element one at a time.
In fact what I suppose you want to say is that the config you're trying to use includes many skins, all with individual .ini files. So just to clarify two terms:
  • A config is a folder within the Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder, which includes the skin(s) and beside it/them, the required resources (images, sounds, eventually addons and so on). Such a config can contain one or more skins, each carried by a .ini file. These .ini files can be kept on the root folder existing right below the Skins folder, or on subfolders of this root folder.
  • The skins are the .ini files, present in the config. These files can be loaded by Rainmeter, each of them being in fact a skin.
This being said, note that you always can load one file from a folder, not more. When you try to load a second one, the first one is unloaded, then the second loaded. If the skins are in different subfolders, you can load as many as you want from them.
ScipioAmericanus wrote: September 13th, 2021, 9:07 pm No worries, this at least gives me an idea to test. So thank you very much for that! :)
Did you test? Is working what I said?
David8192

Post by David8192 »

Try this. https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=38028. It does everything you said.
  • Loads all the skins at once on installation
  • It loads a wallpaper, and a bonus
  • It talks, literally.
the DA GALLERY 8-) For some Reason, the square root of X2 does not involve X