It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:34 pm

myWeather - UPDATE 9 (10-09-2021)

Weather skins
LazieWouters

myWeather - UPDATE 9 (10-09-2021)

Post by LazieWouters »

This skin was not made by a professional in the subject, and is more a learning experience, trial and error.
Much of the code is based on AstroWeather, ShadowClock, and many other skins.
There is a lot that can be improved. Living and learning.

IMPORTANT: I had forgotten to add the credits for the skins I was based on when I first uploaded it to the Deviant Art site 3 days ago. But I added it now. Sincere apologies for forgetting that.
The following skins were used as inspiration and/or had part of their code used and/or adjusted:
- AstroWeather (by xxenium),
- Lottaweather (by louisly)
- Simplicity Circles (by FlyingHyrax)
- Shadow Clock (by SugMadick)
- Steampunk Orrery and Clock (by yereverluvinuncleber)
Untitled-1.jpg

See the changes:
Updated on 10-09-2021 (https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=198782#p198782):
myWeather_.rmskin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LazieWouters on October 9th, 2021, 3:46 pm, edited 25 times in total.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: myWeather - skin made by an amateur

Post by SilverAzide »

This is a great looking skin! You did an amazing job for "an amateur", LOL. Weather skins are probably one of the hardest kinds to do!

If you are interested in getting some feedback, there are a number of severe issues.

The biggest is that something is crashing Rainmeter hard, looks like there is some infinite loop somewhere. I can get the skin to show, but refreshing it kills Rainmeter instantly.

The log has many many errors, such as:

Code: Select all

ERRO (00:03:54.338) : Formula: Extra operation: (691-(*2.8))
ERRO (00:03:54.370) : Formula: Extra operation: (1155)-(30 + (16 * sin(2*rad((*(22.5)))) ** 2))
ERRO (00:03:54.372) : Formula: Extra operation: (765)-(30 + (16 * sin(2*rad((*(22.5)))) ** 2))
ERRO (00:03:54.373) myWeather\Weather\WeatherExtd - Com Gráfico Temp.ini: Formula: Extra operation in key "W" in [UVArrow]
ERRO (00:03:54.374) myWeather\Weather\WeatherExtd - Com Gráfico Temp.ini: Formula: Extra operation in key "ImageRotate" in [UVArrow]
ERRO (00:03:54.389) : Formula: Extra operation: (457-(*1.4))
ERRO (00:03:54.807) myWeather\Weather\WeatherExtd - Com Gráfico Temp.ini - [WEATHER.COMSuperParent]: !HideMeter: [MeterMoon] not found
Some measure before the "*2.8" (for example) is returning an empty string, so all the calcs are failing.

The skin is showing the wind speed and precipitation in the wrong units. There seems to be a problem someplace because you are fetching the weather twice (once for the user's location and once for BRXX0088, which is hard-coded into the skin). There is something wrong with the sun/moon display (it is showing measure names instead of text, as if some measures do not exist).

Lastly, the moon images are backwards for the northern hemisphere, and the season indicator is backwards as well (it should show summer).

I know you probably put this together just for yourself, but it's a really nice skin, so I thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to fix it for others to use. (Notice the blank space on the right side; something in the skin is set too large maybe?)
Image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
LazieWouters

Post by LazieWouters »

SilverAzide wrote: September 12th, 2021, 4:43 am I know you probably put this together just for yourself, but it's a really nice skin, so I thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to fix it for others to use. (Notice the blank space on the right side; something in the skin is set too large maybe?)

Image.png
Thanks SilverAzide for taking the time and reviewing the skin, I really appreciate your comment and I will definitely review these situations you are warning about.
LazieWouters

Post by LazieWouters »

UPDATE 1
Some changes in the interface:
Sem título.png
Download: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=38388&p=197435#p197435
Last edited by LazieWouters on October 4th, 2021, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

That's a great effort :jawdrop :thumbup:
Nice job. Too much info for my eyes though, I'm very much a minimalist :lol:
- MuLab -
LazieWouters

Post by LazieWouters »

sl23 wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 9:46 pm That's a great effort :jawdrop :thumbup:
Nice job. Too much info for my eyes though, I'm very much a minimalist :lol:
You're right, I'm going to work to create a configuration screen where you can select the items to be displayed, or I'm going to create several skins with more minimalist visuals progressing to what is the visual with all the information.
It's not something I'll be able to do soon, but it's on my list of changes.
Last edited by LazieWouters on September 25th, 2021, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LazieWouters

Post by LazieWouters »

UPDATE 2
First step in reducing CPU usage.
There has been a big improvement, but I believe it should be possible to further reduce the impact on the CPU.

Next step: further reduce CPU consumption.

Next steps (long term):
- translation into several languages (at the moment there are several items showing text in my language - brazilian portuguese)
- adjust the moon display and other items to match the northern or southern hemisphere - it's currently fixed in the southern hemisphere where I live)
- reduce installation file size

Thanks to these people for their help (in alphabetical order):
- balala
- death.crafter
- jsmorley

Download: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=38388&p=197435#p197435
Last edited by LazieWouters on October 4th, 2021, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LazieWouters

Post by LazieWouters »

UPDATE 3
Untitled-2.jpg
More one step in reducing CPU usage.
There has been a huge improvement: I moved the gears to a separate skin, where the Update value = 1000. And in the main skin where the weather data is shown I set Update = 10000 and UpdateRate = 60, so the weather provider updates will continue to occur at every 10 minutes.
I think (it's just my guess) with Update = 1000 the CPU and GPU consumption was very high due to the large amount of images that need to be updated.
Well, this change drastically reduced CPU and GPU consumption, but now you need (if you want) to move the gear skin and manually position it in the correct place behind the moon.

I also translated about 80% of the fixed texts into English.

I also adjusted the temperature scale. Now it is no longer fixed (from -10º to 40º), but will automatically adjust depending on the minimum and maximum values for the period. This also fixed the issue of temperatures in Fahrenheit being displayed incorrectly on the graph.

The settings window now has more tweaks, such as:
- Hemisphere: Choose between the northern or southern hemisphere. This will cause the moon's shadow to invert according to which hemisphere you select. The circle displaying the seasons will also change to match the selected hemisphere.
- Added an option to show or hide planets
Untitled-3.png
The following buttons have also been added in the upper right corner:
Untitled-4.png
From Left to Right: Force Update, Adjust Translation, Settings

Next steps:
- Finish the English translation
- Keep improving the skin

If you discover any errors please let me know, thank you

Thanks to these people for their help (in alphabetical order):
- balala
- death.crafter
- jsmorley
- SilverAzide

Last edited by LazieWouters on October 4th, 2021, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

LazieWouters wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:51 am The settings window now has more tweaks, such as:
- Hemisphere: Choose between the northern or southern hemisphere. This will cause the moon's shadow to invert according to which hemisphere you select. The circle displaying the seasons will also change to match the selected hemisphere.
Just a tip: you already have this data, so you don't really need a special setting. If the user's latitude is a positive number, they are in the northern hemisphere. If it is negative, they are in the southern. I'm not sure what you do if the latitude is exactly zero, LOL...
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
LazieWouters

Post by LazieWouters »

SilverAzide wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:54 am Just a tip: you already have this data, so you don't really need a special setting. If the user's latitude is a positive number, they are in the northern hemisphere. If it is negative, they are in the southern. I'm not sure what you do if the latitude is exactly zero, LOL...
I hadn't thought of this possibility, but you're right. And it really is one less item for the user to have to worry about in the configuration. I liked it, I'll adapt the code.
Untitled-2.png