It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:08 pm

4.5.0 - New Auto Update feature

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.5 Release Cycle
jsmorley
Developer

4.5.0 - New Auto Update feature

Post by jsmorley »

In the Rainmeter 4.5.0 release, we have added the ability to Auto Update the software. We wanted to do this to support a more frequent release cycle going forward. This will begin to work for you as soon as we do the next release after this initial 4.5.0.

See the documentation here:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/installing-rainmeter/auto-update/
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: 4.5.0 - New Auto Update feature

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: August 26th, 2021, 8:20 pm In the Rainmeter 4.5.0 release, we have added the ability to Auto Update the software. We wanted to do this to support a more frequent release cycle going forward. This will begin to work for you as soon as we do the next release after this initial 4.5.0.

Phew! Finally no clicks :great:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

jsmorley wrote: August 26th, 2021, 8:20 pm In the Rainmeter 4.5.0 release, we have added the ability to Auto Update the software. We wanted to do this to support a more frequent release cycle going forward. This will begin to work for you as soon as we do the next release after this initial 4.5.0.

Does this feature even work in China?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Jeff wrote: August 27th, 2021, 9:29 am Does this feature even work in China?
I assume you have some reason to ask this?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

jsmorley wrote: August 27th, 2021, 10:36 am I assume you have some reason to ask this?
A little bit, the Check for Updates and now Auto Update option in Rainmeter and Direct Download from the main rainmeter.net page link to Github's CDN for data and the installer.
Ironically this is the part where I didn't update myself though, I knew China's Great Firewall™ has had github.com blocked a long time ago, but it seems the ban has been lifted since then, so that's my bad.
I guess the question now, now that I realized I'm stupid, is if Rainmeter's site can be used as a fallback for when GitHub gets DDOS-ed, rate limited or ever banned again (and if Oregon State University would be willing to accept like ~2 million requests a day if it happens for the fallback to be put in place lol).
This is really really strawman, but that <snip> site from a million ages ago, if they are giving the official installer without any modifications, it would just be nice for those who got the installer from there to be up to date even if a single service from the unmodified fails.
Last edited by jsmorley on August 27th, 2021, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed reference to a completely untrustworthy Chinese site.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Jeff wrote: August 27th, 2021, 1:37 pm A little bit, the Check for Updates and now Auto Update option in Rainmeter and Direct Download from the main rainmeter.net page link to Github's CDN for data and the installer.
Ironically this is the part where I didn't update myself though, I knew China's Great Firewall™ has had github.com blocked a long time ago, but it seems the ban has been lifted since then, so that's my bad.
I guess the question now, now that I realized I'm stupid, is if Rainmeter's site can be used as a fallback for when GitHub gets DDOS-ed, rate limited or ever banned again (and if Oregon State University would be willing to accept like ~2 million requests a day if it happens for the fallback to be put in place lol).
This is really really strawman, but that <snip> site from a million ages ago, if they are giving the official installer without any modifications, it would just be nice for those who got the installer from there to be up to date even if a single service from the unmodified fails.
Well, if China or anywhere else locks out GitHub, so be it. Those users will just have to download manually from the mirror. They are pretty much screwed anyway, as both the main site and documentation for Rainmeter are served up by GitHub. The only thing that isn't are these forums. We certainly have no intention of putting the burden for this on Oregon State University.
Corvust

Post by Corvust »

What purpose does the Oregon state university serve for Rainmeter?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Corvust wrote: August 27th, 2021, 2:33 pm What purpose does the Oregon state university serve for Rainmeter?
Their Open Source Lab hosts these forums.
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

Wow! And i dare to miss that?! Thanks! :)