It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:23 am

[Suggestion] Blurring otpion for meters

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Jax

[Suggestion] Blurring otpion for meters

Post by Jax »

Simply a blur option for meters.

Code: Select all

[Meter]
Meter=String
Text=Blur me
Blur=5
This would blur the string meter by 5 steps. I don't really know what to put here anymore πŸ˜…

This is actually achievable using magickmeter, but the efficiency of that is really low.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Suggestion] Blurring otpion for meters

Post by death.crafter »

I don't think it is possible since blur is an attribute for image. Tho, blur option in image wouldn't be bad.
from the Realm of Death
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

death.crafter wrote: ↑August 14th, 2021, 8:11 am I don't think it is possible since blur is an attribute for image. Tho, blur option in image wouldn't be bad.
Agree and I also would find it extremely useful. Would need it if (especially for images, but maybe not just) anytime in future such a feature will be added.
Jax

Post by Jax »

I suppose rainmeter can just implement a customizable shadow option for string meters but in a blurred form instead of a clone of the string.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Jax wrote: ↑August 15th, 2021, 3:28 am I suppose rainmeter can just implement a customizable shadow option for string meters but in a blurred form instead of a clone of the string.
Are you sure this isn't already achievable for String meters by tweaking the inline Shadow parameters? I'm thinking of using negative, positive, or even multiple offsets in either one or multiple inline settings to achieve the desired outcome.

It would probably be useful as a general meter option though, as some sort of a "glass"-like effect. And blur is a clone of the blurred element, from a shape perspective, even though it's done on a pixel level.
Profiles: Rainmeter Profile β—‡ DeviantArt Profile β—† Suites: MYiniMeter β—† Skins: Earth
Jax

Post by Jax »

Yincognito wrote: ↑August 17th, 2021, 10:40 am Are you sure this isn't already achievable for String meters by tweaking the inline Shadow parameters? I'm thinking of using negative, positive, or even multiple offsets in either one or multiple inline settings to achieve the desired outcome.

It would probably be useful as a general meter option though, as some sort of a "glass"-like effect. And blur is a clone of the blurred element, from a shape perspective, even though it's done on a pixel level.
Currently the shadow is only a solid copy of the original string, not blurred. That's why I also suggested to add more customization to the shadow inline option ;-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Jax wrote: ↑August 18th, 2021, 1:22 am Currently the shadow is only a solid copy of the original string, not blurred. That's why I also suggested to add more customization to the shadow inline option ;-)
Well, it's a copy alright, but it can be blurred (ressurected some of my "older" codes on the forum to illustrate it; this applies the shadow in all 4 cardinal directions, but of course it can be adjusted even further if needed; middle click to change the "active" parameter between the shadow's offset and blur, scroll to increase/decrease it, you can look at the log to see the values and compare):

Code: Select all

[Variables]
Color0=0,0,0,64
Color1=0,128,255,64
Color2=255,0,255,255
ShadowOffset=1
ShadowBlur=1
ParameterStep=0.5
ParameterIndex=0
Parameter0=Offset
Parameter1=Blur

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

---Measures---

---Meters---

[MeterText]
Meter=String
X=0
Y=0
FontFace=Tahoma
FontColor=#Color2#
SolidColor=#Color0#
SolidColor2=#Color1#
GradientAngle=90
InlineSetting=Shadow | (-#ShadowOffset#) | (-#ShadowOffset#) | (#ShadowBlur#) | #Color2#
InlineSetting2=Shadow | (-#ShadowOffset#) | (#ShadowOffset#) | (#ShadowBlur#) | #Color2#
InlineSetting3=Shadow | (#ShadowOffset#) | (-#ShadowOffset#) | (#ShadowBlur#) | #Color2#
InlineSetting4=Shadow | (#ShadowOffset#) | (#ShadowOffset#) | (#ShadowBlur#) | #Color2#
FontSize=14
AntiAlias=1
Padding=5,5,5,5
UpdateDivider=-1
Text="Text Effects Demo#CRLF##CRLF##CRLF##CRLF#Shadow [#Parameter[#ParameterIndex]]#CRLF##CRLF##CRLF##CRLF#Text Effects Demo"
LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetVariable Color0 #Color1#][!SetVariable Color1 #Color0#][!UpdateMeter #CURRENTSECTION#][!Redraw]
MiddleMouseUpAction=[!SetVariable ParameterIndex (1-#ParameterIndex#)][!UpdateMeter #CURRENTSECTION#][!Redraw]
MouseScrollUpAction=[!SetVariable Shadow[#Parameter[#ParameterIndex]] ([#Shadow[#Parameter[#ParameterIndex]]]+#ParameterStep#)][!UpdateMeter #CURRENTSECTION#][!Redraw]
MouseScrollDownAction=[!SetVariable Shadow[#Parameter[#ParameterIndex]] ([#Shadow[#Parameter[#ParameterIndex]]]-#ParameterStep#)][!UpdateMeter #CURRENTSECTION#][!Redraw]
DynamicVariables=1
Previews, for different ShadowOffset and ShadowBlur inline setting parameters, as well as different font sizes:
Size14Offset1Blur1.jpg
Size14Offset1Blur1.5.jpg
Size34Offset2Blur3.jpg
Generally, values of ShadowOffset=1 and ShadowBlur=1 ... 1.5 work best in simulating an actual blur "of the text itself" for a font size of 14, and these values will proportionally change with the size of the font, i.e. around ShadowOffset=2 and ShadowBlur=1.5 ... 3 for a font size of 34 - some formula would probably better capture that relation.
death.crafter wrote: ↑August 14th, 2021, 8:11 amI don't think it is possible since blur is an attribute for image.
balala wrote: ↑August 14th, 2021, 10:05 amAgree ...
What was that? "Impossible", again? :rolmfao: Nah, that's just a matter of a little creativity in implementation... If one really really wants some, then he shall get some, since the proper tools exist - it's all about the will, my friends, it's all about the will. ;-)

I do agree a general option to "blur a meter" (whether it's image, text or even shape) would be nice to have though. There are some plugins out there that do it for the skin window (i.e. theAzack9's FrostedGlass), but not for individual meters in the skin, yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Yincognito on August 18th, 2021, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Profiles: Rainmeter Profile β—‡ DeviantArt Profile β—† Suites: MYiniMeter β—† Skins: Earth
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

Yincognito wrote: ↑August 18th, 2021, 2:52 am What was that? "Impossible", again? :rolmfao: Nah, that's just a matter of a little creativity in implementation... If one really really wants some, then he shall get some, since the proper tools exist - it's all about the will, my friends, it's all about the will. ;-)
I don't think he meant blur like that but sure.

P.S. you just created glow effect. I was using magic meter for that. May be if I can figure out a way to handle sigma, I will use this :Whistle
from the Realm of Death
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

death.crafter wrote: ↑August 18th, 2021, 3:35 am I don't think he meant blur like that but sure.

P.S. you just created glow effect. I was using magic meter for that. May be if I can figure out a way to handle sigma, I will use this :Whistle
Yeah, well, it's a bit limited, as increasing/decreasing the parameters too much leads to losing the desired effect (at least in this 4 direction implementation, not sure if 8 or more directions are used), but it comes close to the desired outcome. Feel free to use this or adjust if necessary for glowing text ... but what is "sigma"? Is it the symbol / character or something else? What trouble do you have in handling it?

P.S. Also, be aware that these effects will take some CPU - too much for my taste, but then, that part is outside my reach as it's about how the effects are layered on top of each other in Rainmeter (and its code) itself, so it is what it is... :confused: EDIT: Fixed this in the posted codes, it was just a matter of adding a negative update divider to the meter.
Last edited by Yincognito on August 18th, 2021, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

Yincognito wrote: ↑August 18th, 2021, 4:08 am Yeah, well, it's a bit limited, as increasing/decreasing the parameters too much leads to losing the desired effect (at least in this 4 direction implementation, not sure if 8 or more directions are used), but it comes close to the desired outcome. Feel free to use this or adjust if necessary for glowing text ... but what is "sigma"? Is it the symbol / character or something else? What trouble do you have in handling it?

P.S. Also, be aware that these effects will take some CPU - too much for my taste, but then, that part is outside my reach as it's about how the effects are layered on top of each other in Rainmeter (and its code) itself, so it is what it is... :confused:
Sigma is the amount of shadow, or rather the width of the shadow. I don't think its an universal term tho.

CPU is the last thing I would be worried about if I use magickmeter. But yeah some folks would care.
Usually these things take CPU only if you don't have hardware acceleration turned on. I don't see much of a usage on my i3, which is rather a low end CPU. Outdated, more appropriately termed.
from the Realm of Death