It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:14 pm

Rainmeter RSS Skin won't open News Item in Browser on Windows 11, OS related or bug in skin?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
SkyyDX

Rainmeter RSS Skin won't open News Item in Browser on Windows 11, OS related or bug in skin?

Post by SkyyDX »

Hi, I know Windows 11 still is in testing but I figured I would mention an issue I have with Rainmeter there. I dualboot Windows 10 and Windows 11 with a shared Rainmeter skin-path on another HDD. Generally everything Rainmeter works in Win11 the same way it does in Win10 although there's one issue I have.

I use a very old RSS skin with this code:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
MouseOverAction=!Execute [!RainmeterShowMeter MeterSettings][!RainmeterShowMeter MeterClose][!RainmeterRedraw]
MouseLeaveAction=!Execute [!RainmeterHideMeter MeterSettings][!RainmeterHideMeter MeterClose][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Variables]
@include=#@#WP7UserVariables.inc
@include1=#@#WP7Reader2UserVariables.inc
@Include2=#@#FontBGStuff.inc

[Feed]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WebParser.dll
Url=INSERT URL HERE
RegExp="(?siU)<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>.*<item.*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)"
UpdateRate=#Update#
StringIndex=1
Substitute=#SubstituteFeed#

[FeedURL]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=2

[MeasureItem1]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=3

[MeasureLink1]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=4
Substitute=#SubstituteLink#

---

[MeasureItem2]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=5

[MeasureLink2]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=6

---

[MeasureItem3]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=7

[MeasureLink3]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=8

---

[MeasureItem4]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=9

[MeasureLink4]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=10

---

[MeasureItem5]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=11

[MeasureLink5]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=12

---

[RSS Background]
Meter=Image
ImageName=rss.png
X=14
Y=20
LeftMouseDownAction=!RainmeterRefresh

[StyleItem]
X=15
Y=15r
H=15
W=180
ClipString=1
StringStyle=BOLD
FontColor=#FontColor1#
FontSize=((#FontSize1#)-1)
FontFace=#FontFace1#
AntiAlias=1

[StyleLink]
X=r
Y=r
H=15
W=#width#
ClipString=1
StringStyle=NORMAL
FontColor=#FontColor2#
FontSize=((#FontSize1#)-1)
FontFace=#FontFace1#
AntiAlias=1
Hidden=1

[Title]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=Feed
Text=news
X=5
Y=1
H=15
W=150
StringEffect=BORDER
FontEffectColor=#FontEffectColor1#
FontColor=#FontColor2#
FontSize=#FontSize2#
FontFace=#FontFace1#
AntiAlias=1
LeftMouseDownAction=!Execute [!RainmeterHideMeter Title][!RainmeterShowMeter TitleActive][!RainmeterRedraw]

[TitleActive]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=Title
MeasureName=Feed
FontColor=#ColorActive#
Hidden=1
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute [[FeedURL]][!RainmeterHideMeter TitleActive][!RainmeterShowMeter Title][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Item1]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleItem
MeasureName=MeasureItem1
Y=76
LeftMouseDownAction=!execute [!RainmeterShowMeter Link1][!RainmeterHideMeter Item1][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Link1]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLink
MeasureName=MeasureItem1
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute [[MeasureLink1]][!RainmeterShowMeter Item1][!RainmeterHideMeter Link1][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Item2]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleItem
MeasureName=MeasureItem2
LeftMouseDownAction=!execute [!RainmeterShowMeter Link2][!RainmeterHideMeter Item2][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Link2]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLink
MeasureName=MeasureItem2
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute [[MeasureLink2]][!RainmeterShowMeter Item2][!RainmeterHideMeter Link2][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Item3]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleItem
MeasureName=MeasureItem3
LeftMouseDownAction=!execute [!RainmeterShowMeter Link3][!RainmeterHideMeter Item3][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Link3]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLink
MeasureName=MeasureItem3
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute [[MeasureLink3]][!RainmeterShowMeter Item3][!RainmeterHideMeter Link3][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Item4]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleItem
MeasureName=MeasureItem4
LeftMouseDownAction=!execute [!RainmeterShowMeter Link4][!RainmeterHideMeter Item4][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Link4]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLink
MeasureName=MeasureItem4
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute [[MeasureLink4]][!RainmeterShowMeter Item4][!RainmeterHideMeter Link4][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Item5]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleItem
MeasureName=MeasureItem5
LeftMouseDownAction=!execute [!RainmeterShowMeter Link5][!RainmeterHideMeter Item5][!RainmeterRedraw]

[Link5]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=StyleLink
MeasureName=MeasureItem5
LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute [[MeasureLink5]][!RainmeterShowMeter Item5][!RainmeterHideMeter Link5][!RainmeterRedraw]
And everything works as expected but one thing, if I click a news-item I get a visual confirmation that the click went through but the RSS link isn't opening in my browser, nothing happens instead.

On Windows 10 when I click a news-item it opens in my default browser instantly. Firefox is set as my default-browser in both OSs and otherwise I can't think of anything else that would interfere with this.

This is my Rainmeter Data:::::

Rainmeter 4.4.0.3488 beta (64-bit)
Language: German (1031)
Build time: 2021-06-26 10:42:15
Windows 10 Pro 2009 64-bit (build 22000) - German (1031)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: H:\My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

I copied the Roaming folder from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and my Rainmeter version in Win10 is also the same.

One thing related to the RSS skin I did notice, the log shows this over and over when I interact with the skin:;

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter RSS Skin won't open News Item in Browser on Windows 11, OS related or bug in skin?

Post by balala »

SkyyDX wrote: August 10th, 2021, 12:23 pm Hi, I know Windows 11 still is in testing but I figured I would mention an issue I have with Rainmeter there. I dualboot Windows 10 and Windows 11 with a shared Rainmeter skin-path on another HDD. Generally everything Rainmeter works in Win11 the same way it does in Win10 although there's one issue I have.
I can't test it on Windows 11, so can't say anything about your question, however related to the posted code note that both the !Rainmeter... bang prefix and the !Execute bang have been deprecated long time ago and shouldn't be used.
This definitely has nothing to do with the described issue and even rewriting the bangs / options doesn't fix anything, just wanted you to know.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter RSS Skin won't open News Item in Browser on Windows 11, OS related or bug in skin?

Post by Yincognito »

SkyyDX wrote: August 10th, 2021, 12:23 pmAnd everything works as expected but one thing, if I click a news-item I get a visual confirmation that the click went through but the RSS link isn't opening in my browser, nothing happens instead.
Try adding some quotes to one of your [[FeedURL]] or [[MeasureLink1]] and similar bangs, like ["[FeedURL]"] or ["[MeasureLink1]"] and see if that changes anything for that particular link. You can also check the values of those measures in the log and see if the values work when pasted directly in the browser.
SkyyDX wrote: August 10th, 2021, 12:23 pmOne thing related to the RSS skin I did notice, the log shows this over and over when I interact with the skin:;

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here?
That's because of your:

[Rainmeter]
MouseOverAction=!Execute [!RainmeterShowMeter MeterSettings][!RainmeterShowMeter MeterClose][!RainmeterRedraw]
MouseLeaveAction=!Execute [!RainmeterHideMeter MeterSettings][!RainmeterHideMeter MeterClose][!RainmeterRedraw]
part at the start of your posted code. It probably happens because, as far as I can see, you don't have any meter named [MeterSettings] or [MeterClose] in your posted code.

--------

Other than that, the original code (or a link to it), along with the URLs for which the issue happens would help in trying to identify the issue - although I'm not on Windows 11 either, so I won't be able to do a full test. This looks like a version of the Omnimo skin though... :???:
SkyyDX

Post by SkyyDX »

balala wrote: August 14th, 2021, 10:45 am I can't test it on Windows 11, so can't say anything about your question, however related to the posted code note that both the !Rainmeter... bang prefix and the !Execute bang have been deprecated long time ago and shouldn't be used.
This definitely has nothing to do with the described issue and even rewriting the bangs / options doesn't fix anything, just wanted you to know.

Yincognito wrote: August 21st, 2021, 5:48 pm Try adding some quotes to one of your [[FeedURL]] or [[MeasureLink1]] and similar bangs, like ["[FeedURL]"] or ["[MeasureLink1]"] and see if that changes anything for that particular link. You can also check the values of those measures in the log and see if the values work when pasted directly in the browser.

That's because of your:

[Rainmeter]
part at the start of your posted code. It probably happens because, as far as I can see, you don't have any meter named [MeterSettings] or [MeterClose] in your posted code.

--------

Other than that, the original code (or a link to it), along with the URLs for which the issue happens would help in trying to identify the issue - although I'm not on Windows 11 either, so I won't be able to do a full test. This looks like a version of the Omnimo skin though... :???:
Thanks both of you! Well what can I say, after updating to version 4.5.0.3518 the problem fixed itself. And yeah it's something frankenstein'ed out of Omnimo, all my personal-use skins are just ripped out code of other skins :p
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SkyyDX wrote: August 29th, 2021, 11:25 pmThanks both of you! Well what can I say, after updating to version 4.5.0.3518 the problem fixed itself.
Excellent - great to hear that! ;-)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SkyyDX wrote: August 29th, 2021, 11:25 pm Well what can I say, after updating to version 4.5.0.3518 the problem fixed itself.
Did it? I'm surprised, however glad as well.
SkyyDX

Post by SkyyDX »

Yincognito wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:16 am Excellent - great to hear that! ;-)
balala wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:58 am Did it? I'm surprised, however glad as well.
Yeah I'm surprised but glad too! :p Maybe this version correctly registered HTML links in Windows 11 or something, who knows.