It is currently April 25th, 2024, 2:11 pm

Small skin to monitor age of latest file in folder

General topics related to Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Small skin to monitor age of latest file in folder

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:43 pm I currently find it easier to just copy data to my external drives, as with the rate at which software and system drive is changing nowadays making a system backup gets obsolete really quickly.
Well since I do a full nightly backup, it is always available (and has been used more than a couple of times over the years) to just quickly restore the entire system in one go, and bingo, I'm right back to where I was last 2am or so. Having to install Windows, install all my apps, and copy back my data doesn't appeal to me on an "emergency" basis. I'm fine with it on purpose, which I do at least once or twice a year.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: August 8th, 2021, 9:52 pmHaving to install Windows, install all my apps, and copy back my data doesn't appeal to me on an "emergency" basis.
I feel the same way. Guess there wasn't an emergency for me yet, for a couple of years now - but then, I restrict non-demand updates of all kinds, unauthorized internet connections, have multiple security layers, so I guess this drastically lowers the probability for something to "break up" on the system (i.e. Windows + Programs) drive or "state". As for the data, I always store it on other partitions than C or on other disks than the internal one as well, so it is separated from the most probable "trouble-maker" in these situations. Hard drive failure is generally rare and even so the important stuff is always kept in duplicates on my other partitions + external drives, plus I have my old 650 GB internal drive in case disaster strikes. Regarding installations, I either export the settings for a particular app or, if not available, have a readme.txt with things I have to do to set them as I want them to be.

In the end, I guess I backup stuff too, just in a different way. I used to do full sector-by-sector Acronis backups too in the past (was never a fan of incremental ones), but noticed they never really got used (and if they did, had to update some stuff anyway, see the 'obsolete' part) and I saved space without, so eventually I gave up doing so and chose a more rudimentary (but equally effective) approach.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Ruff_hi

Post by Ruff_hi »

@ jsmorley Very nice. I added color to my version and broke the update. It was still saying 8/8 this morning :( Fixed now.

Here is a pic from a few days ago ...