It is currently April 20th, 2024, 12:16 pm

ToolTipIcon

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
gator

ToolTipIcon

Post by gator »

Are there specific sizes of icons that can be displayed as a ToolTipIcon?

I created (converted from png) a 32x32 icon which displays as expected as a ToolTipIcon - it was too large for my taste. So, I re-created it as a 16x16 icon which again displayed as expected - it was too small for my taste. I then split the difference a created a 24x24 icon thinking it would be the perfect size. Problem is, when it is displayed as the ToolTipIcon it is the same size as the 16x16 icon. I have checked to make sure I'm pointing to the correct icon (24x24), but it is displayed as a 16x16. I cannot find in the manual any specific size limitations on icon sizes when used as a ToolTipIcon.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: ToolTipIcon

Post by jsmorley »

gator wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:08 pm Are there specific sizes of icons that can be displayed as a ToolTipIcon?

I created (converted from png) a 32x32 icon which displays as expected as a ToolTipIcon - it was too large for my taste. So, I re-created it as a 16x16 icon which again displayed as expected - it was too small for my taste. I then split the difference a created a 24x24 icon thinking it would be the perfect size. Problem is, when it is displayed as the ToolTipIcon it is the same size as the 16x16 icon. I have checked to make sure I'm pointing to the correct icon (24x24), but it is displayed as a 16x16. I cannot find in the manual any specific size limitations on icon sizes when used as a ToolTipIcon.
Windows might be caching it. Try giving it a different name and see if that helps. It's possible that Windows, or maybe even Rainmeter, is looking for some standard range of sizes, like 16/48/64 or something, but let's be sure it's not just a caching problem first.
gator

Post by gator »

jsmorley wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:30 pm Windows might be caching it. Try giving it a different name and see if that helps. It's possible that Windows, or maybe even Rainmeter, is looking for some standard range of sizes, like 16/48/64 or something, but let's be sure it's not just a caching problem first.
I tried that. I took a completely different png file, created 16/24/32 pixel icons from it with names I hadn't used before - same issue.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

gator wrote: August 5th, 2021, 9:00 pm I tried that. I took a completely different png file, created 16/24/32 pixel icons from it with names I hadn't used before - same issue.
Depending on how much you want it, you can explore the possibility to have custom tooltips for your skin and not suffer any limitation on their properties whatsoever...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
gator

Post by gator »

Yincognito wrote: August 6th, 2021, 5:04 pm Depending on how much you want it, you can explore the possibility to have custom tooltips for your skin and not suffer any limitation on their properties whatsoever...
I do appreciate your suggestion and have had your custom tooltip skin on my computer since May of 2020. I would rather not have to go that route if the ToolTipIcon command/function could be able to display the size icon I'm attempting to display.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

gator wrote: August 9th, 2021, 8:11 pm I do appreciate your suggestion and have had your custom tooltip skin on my computer since May of 2020. I would rather not have to go that route if the ToolTipIcon command/function could be able to display the size icon I'm attempting to display.
Ah, ok. I'm afraid it's not directly possible using TooltipIcon. I have another idea though: if you're only interested in the size of the opaque image of the icon and not in the size of the icon's "frame", why not create a 32x32 icon (there is a Photoshop plugin for that here, or you can use some ICO designer software if you like), but resize your actual icon image to only be 24x24, with the 8 px wide "border" in the 32x32 canvas transparent.
gator

Post by gator »

Yincognito wrote: August 9th, 2021, 8:32 pm Ah, ok. I'm afraid it's not directly possible using TooltipIcon. I have another idea though: if you're only interested in the size of the opaque image of the icon and not in the size of the icon's "frame", why not create a 32x32 icon (there is a Photoshop plugin for that here, or you can use some ICO designer software if you like), but resize your actual icon image to only be 24x24, with the 8 px wide "border" in the 32x32 canvas transparent.
Thank you for the excellent suggestion!

I've been looking at these icons for several days and wasn't able to even consider that. I had to play with the positioning of my 24x24 pixel image on the 32x32 pixel pallet so that my image appears to be positioned next to the ToolTipTitle as if it were actually being displayed as a 24x24 pixel icon, but it looks great and this is what I will use if/until ToolTipIcon can display a 24x24 icon on its own.

Thanks again Yincognito.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

gator wrote: August 10th, 2021, 12:11 am Thank you for the excellent suggestion!

I've been looking at these icons for several days and wasn't able to even consider that. I had to play with the positioning of my 24x24 pixel image on the 32x32 pixel pallet so that my image appears to be positioned next to the ToolTipTitle as if it were actually being displayed as a 24x24 pixel icon, but it looks great and this is what I will use if/until ToolTipIcon can display a 24x24 icon on its own.

Thanks again Yincognito.
No problem - I'm glad it helped. I would have kept it centered (I like symmetry, LOL), but that's just me - if you like it otherwise, it's excellent anyway! :great: