It is currently April 16th, 2024, 2:38 pm

Silent crash

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Silent crash

Post by Yincognito »

Brian wrote: July 29th, 2021, 5:34 am The silent install code isn't part of the Rainmeter application, it is the NSIS installer script we use to create the installer executable.

The only recent (non-language) changes to the Rainmeter application in the last month are: the meterstyle inline lua issue (r3506), the most recent currentsection issue (r3500), and the parsing of bang replacement variables (r3493).

While most crashes at Rainmeter startup are usually a skin (or plugin) issue, some are not. I am not sure any of the changes described above would crash Rainmeter outright, but you never know.

-Brian
Ah, I see - well, it was something I suspected, so by no means a definitive conclusion. I leaned towards suspecting that because the crashes in my case mostly happened when "installing" skins while other skins were loaded. I know the skin installer is a different entity than the Rainmeter one, but that was the best I could come up with. :confused:

I recall for sure the name of one of the skins on which something like this happened, but I can't replicate the crash anymore, so maybe it was just a skin issue, as the code changed since I experienced the crash on this particular skin. :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
dhmolson

Post by dhmolson »

balala wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:39 am ModernGadgets is a suite, containing more skins. Which one of them has caused the crash?
I've narrowed it down to either GpuMeter or CpuMeter but I'm not sure which.
dhmolson

Post by dhmolson »

balala wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 7:44 pm If you rename the Rainmeter.ini and launch Rainmeter, does it load? Because it's not entirely clear that you said you renamed Rainmeter .ini, then it crashes when you load new skin, but does Rainmeter load correctly when you launch it?
I am now experiencing a silent crash every time I launch Rainmeter. Where is the Rainmeter.ini so I can delete it and just have it run the default skins so I can get it to launch again?

EDIT: I deleted the Rainmeter.ini file in %appdata% in the @Backup folder but Rainmeter still crashes on launch every time.
Last edited by dhmolson on July 29th, 2021, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dhmolson wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:14 am I am now experiencing a silent crash every time I launch Rainmeter. Where is the Rainmeter.ini so I can delete it and just have it run the default skins so I can get it to launch again?
%APPDATA%\Rainmeter
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

dhmolson wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:14 am EDIT: I deleted the Rainmeter.ini file in %appdata% in the @Backup folder but Rainmeter still crashes on launch every time.
I doubt there is a %appdata% folder in the Skins\@Backup folder and doubt even more a Rainmeter.ini file would exist anywhere in the @Backup folder.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

%APPDATA%\Rainmeter will generally resolve to:

C:\Users\YourAccountName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter. The active Rainmeter.ini will be right there. Be sure Rainmeter is not running when you delete it.

@Backup is a folder in your C:\Users\YourAccountName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Layouts folder. That is where Layouts are stored, @Backup is where it stores the current state when you load a new Layout, and it won't help to delete any Rainmeter.ini files in there. It's a bad idea to manually change anything in that ..\Layouts\@Backup folder at all, nothing good can come of it...

There is an @Backup folder in the ..Skins\ folder as well, that is where copies of skins you replace with a .rmskin are kept in case you change your mind. That won't factor into this.

If you are running a recent beta version of Rainmeter, which I recommend, you might want to see this as well:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/user-interface/#SafeStart

That eliminates all the digging around in folders to accomplish this...
dhmolson

Post by dhmolson »

Now my Rainmeter is crashing due to the ForceX\ForceX System Monitor 3\HDD skins. It freezes and crashes immediately any time I try to load one of these skins.

EDIT: I updated to the latest beta version of Rainmeter right before this started happening. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

dhmolson wrote: July 30th, 2021, 12:47 am Now my Rainmeter is crashing due to the ForceX\ForceX System Monitor 3\HDD skins. It freezes and crashes immediately any time I try to load one of these skins.

EDIT: I updated to the latest beta version of Rainmeter right before this started happening. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Which beta do you have problems in and which beta you don't? You know, to make that part clear...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

dhmolson wrote: July 30th, 2021, 12:47 am Now my Rainmeter is crashing due to the ForceX\ForceX System Monitor 3\HDD skins. It freezes and crashes immediately any time I try to load one of these skins.
Post a link where we can get the incriminated skin, please. Additionally just note that most probably ForceX\ForceX System Monitor 3\HDD is not a skin, but a config.
dhmolson wrote: July 30th, 2021, 12:47 am EDIT: I updated to the latest beta version of Rainmeter right before this started happening. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
No, most probably it has not.
dhmolson

Post by dhmolson »

Yincognito wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:50 am Which beta do you have problems in and which beta you don't? You know, to make that part clear...
I am currently running Rainmeter 4.4.0.3508 beta. Before installing this version I was running 4.3.1 Final Release.
balala wrote: July 30th, 2021, 5:42 pm
Post a link where we can get the incriminated skin, please. Additionally just note that most probably ForceX\ForceX System Monitor 3\HDD is not a skin, but a config.

No, most probably it has not.
I reinstalled the skin and it seems to be working now. I am currently using ModernGadgets CpuMeter and GpuMeter skins, the ForceX System Monitor 3 HDD_5 skin, and the Nougat Clock skin.
Here is a link to the ForceX System Monitor 3 suite:
https://www.deviantart.com/forcex34/art/ForceX-System-Monitor-V3-0-6-Feb-20-2013-158723660

Although I haven't had a crash yet since reloading these skins, I am now having an issue with the read/write speeds in the ForceX System Monitor 3 HDD_5 skin not showing. They just show 0 all the time, even when I know my drives are reading or writing data. Any ideas?

EDIT: I looked into it and I think the issue is that the ForceX skins use the deprecated PerfMon plugin. I am trying to edit the skin myself to make it use the newer UsageMonitor plugin instead but I have very little experience writing Rainmeter skins. Can anyone help?