It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:45 pm

Can anyone help me figure out why variables arent displaying

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
LooseAllTheMonies

Re: Can anyone help me figure out why variables arent displaying

Post by LooseAllTheMonies »

Yea your right I should have read that explanation but I'm not going to lie to you I kind of skimmed over the entire thread and must have missed that so I really do appreciate you taking the time out to explain it.

EDIT: Ignore this I figured it out ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, I have another issue, if you or someone else has the time. I have another skin that's very basic, it reads the registry value and displays it, I know the registry value is being read correctly because under Open Log >> Skins it shows the value I'm looking for however it doesn't show up, as if it isn't loading. To debug I tried changing the meter to a simple String that displays test but that has the same issue it just doesnt load. Any idea what the issue may be?
The two version I tried are below but neither want to load. This skin is in it's own folder because I thought maybe having two skins in the same folder caused them to interfere.
Anyway the original: (I am using HWiNFO to read temp, store the temp in the registry and reading from there as per: https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/hwinfo/)

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

[MeterStyles]
AntiAlias=1
FontFace=Segoe UI
FontColor=255,255,255,255
FontSize=20
StringEffect=Border

;[Measure0Label]
;Measure=Registry
;RegHKey=HKEY_CURRENT_USER
;RegKey=SOFTWARE\HWiNFO64\VSB
;RegValue=Label6

[Measure0Value]
Measure=Registry
RegHKey=HKEY_CURRENT_USER
RegKey=SOFTWARE\HWiNFO64\VSB
RegValue=Value6

[MeterBase]
Meter=String
MeasureName=Measure0Value
MeterStyle=MeterStyles
Text=CPU temp %1 C
However not even this code will load: (NOTE- all the commented out lines so essentially I'm just displaying a text string)

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

[MeterStyles]
AntiAlias=1
FontFace=Segoe UI
FontSize=20
StringEffect=Border

;[Measure0Label]
;Measure=Registry
;RegValue=Label6

;[Measure0Value]
;Measure=Registry
;RegValue=Value6

[Base]
Meter=String
;MeasureName=Measure0Value
MeterStyle=MeterStyles
Text=CPU
Last edited by LooseAllTheMonies on July 29th, 2021, 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

[Base] needs X & Y coordinates, i think. No location - no text. There is no default per se, so fit those in and refresh your test skin.

It may be something else, but I am just stating the obvious.

EDIT: Also the StringEffect=Border, needs a FontEffectColor=r,g,b,a value to take effect.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

LooseAllTheMonies wrote: July 29th, 2021, 6:19 pm However not even this code will load: (NOTE- all the commented out lines so essentially I'm just displaying a text string)

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

[MeterStyles]
AntiAlias=1
FontFace=Segoe UI
FontSize=20
StringEffect=Border

;[Measure0Label]
;Measure=Registry
;RegValue=Label6

;[Measure0Value]
;Measure=Registry
;RegValue=Value6

[Base]
Meter=String
;MeasureName=Measure0Value
MeterStyle=MeterStyles
Text=CPU
This thing works. May be you loaded another skin.
CodeCode wrote: July 29th, 2021, 6:23 pm [Base] needs X & Y coordinates, i think. No location - no text. There is no default per se, so fit those in and refresh your test skin.

EDIT: Also the StringEffect=Border, needs a FontEffectColor=r,g,b,a value to take effect.
Meters don't need X & Y to show up. They have default values 0.

And StringEffect doesn't need FontEffectColor=r,g,b,a value to take effect.
from the Realm of Death
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

LooseAllTheMonies wrote: July 29th, 2021, 6:19 pmEDIT: Ignore this I figured it out ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, I have another issue, if you or someone else has the time.
I'm not sure if you figured this or something else out, but 1st skin works for me, after (artificially / manually) creating such a value in the registry:
Reg.jpg
and so does the 2nd skin too:
Cpu.jpg
CodeCode wrote: July 29th, 2021, 6:23 pm [Base] needs X & Y coordinates, i think. No location - no text. There is no default per se, so fit those in and refresh your test skin.

A meter doesn't necessarily need X/Y coordinates to be set. If they are not set, they will be the default X=0, Y=0. Neither the StringEffect does, just like FontColor: their default color will be the same "0", which translates to 0,0,0,255 since the color alpha is apparently treated preferentially (quite obvious why, as an alpha of 0 means stuff is invisible).

EDIT: Double post here, LOL - death.crafter said the same. Well, at least I have the images... 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

Yincognito wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:39 pm EDIT: Double post here, LOL - death.crafter said the same. Well, at least I have the images... 8-)
I think the OP is editing one skin and activating another one :rofl:
from the Realm of Death
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

death.crafter wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:46 pm I think the OP is editing one skin and activating another one :rofl:
Might be. Don't laugh, it happened to me too... :rolmfao:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
LooseAllTheMonies

Yea so I got mixed up it was one of those dumb mistakes caused by not checking what file I was editing vs what file I was loading. Sorry I didn't get back to you guys earlier I've just been messing around with making skins.

But I really do appreciate all the help so far you've been great!

HOWEVER - I have another issue ... That's been figured out ... So I removed it

But I have some questions and would appreciate anyone's input.

Does the order of measures and Meters matter? Like do all measures HAVE to be in front of all Meters? What about options within meters/measures I mean from what I understand you can name each section (meters/measures/styles/etc) whatever you want but then must define what type of measure/meter this section will be but everything after that doesn't necessarily have a required order does it?

Is there anyway to change what a meter is relative to? So let's say I have a meter Meter1 then I add Meter2 and then Meter3, well Meter2 would be relative to Meter1 and Meter3 relative to Meter2 but now let's say Meter2 moves around the screen and I want to keep Meter3 stationary, can I anchor Meter3 directly to Meter1? I ask because I have a few moving meters and it would be nice to have them move relative to a central meter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

LooseAllTheMonies wrote: July 30th, 2021, 2:54 am Is there anyway to change what a meter is relative to? So let's say I have a meter Meter1 then I add Meter2 and then Meter3, well Meter2 would be relative to Meter1 and Meter3 relative to Meter2 but now let's say Meter2 moves around the screen and I want to keep Meter3 stationary, can I anchor Meter3 directly to Meter1? I ask because I have a few moving meters and it would be nice to have them move relative to a central meter.
Yes they matter. They will be relative to the meter right before them. So to anchor meter 3 to meter 1, you can either declare meter3 after meter1 or use X=[Meter1:X]+someValue and Y=[Meter1:Y]+someValue to make them relative. These need DynamicVariables=1 on the meter.

P.S. If you are moving things around a central point, use a set of reference co-ordinates. Making them relative to a meter and moving them around can get tricky.

On a second note both measures and meters update or load in the order they are defined. If one measure depends on another measure, you have to declare them in order to make the work properly. Similarly, even if you make meter3 relative to meter1, if meter2 and meter3 were to overlap, meter3 would be on he top.
from the Realm of Death
LooseAllTheMonies

death.crafter wrote: July 30th, 2021, 4:58 am Yes they matter. They will be relative to the meter right before them. So to anchor meter 3 to meter 1, you can either declare meter3 after meter1 or use X=[Meter1:X]+someValue and Y=[Meter1:Y]+someValue to make them relative. These need DynamicVariables=1 on the meter.

P.S. If you are moving things around a central point, use a set of reference co-ordinates. Making them relative to a meter and moving them around can get tricky.

On a second note both measures and meters update or load in the order they are defined. If one measure depends on another measure, you have to declare them in order to make the work properly. Similarly, even if you make meter3 relative to meter1, if meter2 and meter3 were to overlap, meter3 would be on he top.
Thank you!
The relative anchor points solves my issue, but the first question was worded incorrectly. I understand that Meter anchor points are based off of the previous Meters and that's where the relative anchor point to a specific Meter question that you answered arose from. What I meant to say is can I have a Meter before a Measure? Essentially could I do something like Measure Meter Measure Meter? Or does it have to be Measure Measure Meter Meter? Also does the .ini file have to be ordered [RainMeter] [MetaData] [Variables] [Measures] [Meters]? It makes the most sense that way and I don't think I would ever rearrange it but it's an extension of the previous question.

Also when you say "use a reference co-ordinate" how could you accomplish this? Just anchor everything relative to the first Meter? Or is there a way to set a reference point someway else? Maybe create the first Meter then some type of reference based off of where the Meter is on the screen? I guess that's just the same as referencing everything to the first meter but curious if there is something I missed in the reference pages.

I'm also having a hard time with LUA scripts but I don't think I've read enough in the LUA script section of this forum to warrant asking a question about those yet so in the near future you will probably hear from me again regarding them. :D
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

LooseAllTheMonies wrote: July 30th, 2021, 7:20 am Essentially could I do something like Measure Meter Measure Meter? Or does it have to be Measure Measure Meter Meter? Also does the .ini file have to be ordered [RainMeter] [MetaData] [Variables] [Measures] [Meters]? It makes the most sense that way and I don't think I would ever rearrange it but it's an extension of the previous question.
Yes.
LooseAllTheMonies wrote: July 30th, 2021, 7:20 am Also when you say "use a reference co-ordinate" how could you accomplish this? Just anchor everything relative to the first Meter? Or is there a way to set a reference point someway else? Maybe create the first Meter then some type of reference based off of where the Meter is on the screen? I guess that's just the same as referencing everything to the first meter but curious if there is something I missed in the reference pages.
Never mind.
LooseAllTheMonies wrote: July 30th, 2021, 7:20 am I'm also having a hard time with LUA scripts but I don't think I've read enough in the LUA script section of this forum to warrant asking a question about those yet so in the near future you will probably hear from me again regarding them. :D
Lua is a little different, but it's easy.
from the Realm of Death