It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:13 pm

Silent crash

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Asahix

Silent crash

Post by Asahix »

The point is that Rainmeter crashes immediately after startup. The only tsolution is renaming `Rainmeter.ini` to `Rainmeter.ini.bak`, but when trying to load any skin, it creates a new `Rainmeter.ini` file and crashes. Again. Here the dump be:
dump.zip
(115.37 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Silent crash

Post by balala »

Asahix wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 1:02 am The point is that Rainmeter crashes immediately after startup. The only tsolution is renaming `Rainmeter.ini` to `Rainmeter.ini.bak`, but when trying to load any skin, it creates a new `Rainmeter.ini` file and crashes. Again. Here the dump be: dump.zip
If you rename the Rainmeter.ini and launch Rainmeter, does it load? Because it's not entirely clear that you said you renamed Rainmeter .ini, then it crashes when you load new skin, but does Rainmeter load correctly when you launch it?
dhmolson

Post by dhmolson »

I am also experiencing a silent crash problem at startup. Silent meaning there is no error that comes up upon crash, it just crashes and closes the program. First the program freezes and becomes unresponsive, and then after a short while it closes itself. It happens every time I start Windows, before any of my skins even load, but usually if I force close Rainmeter with Task Manager and then start it back up a couple of times, eventually Rainmeter will come up and work with no issues.

The skins I am running are:
-ModernGadgets\CpuMeter
-ModernGadgets\GpuMeter\GPU0
-ForceX\ForceX System Monitor 3\HDD
-Nougat Clock
-system-uptime\UpTime (This one I have edited myself from within the skin's .ini file to ONLY include the uptime and no other information)

My system information (I can provide more information if necessary):
OS Build: 19042.1110
Attachments
Rainmeter.exe.23348.rar
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

dhmolson wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:22 pm I am also experiencing a silent crash problem at startup. Silent meaning there is no error that comes up upon crash, it just crashes and closes the program. First the program freezes and becomes unresponsive, and then after a short while it closes itself. It happens every time I start Windows, before any of my skins even load, but usually if I force close Rainmeter with Task Manager and then start it back up a couple of times, eventually Rainmeter will come up and work with no issues.
I suppose this is caused by one of the skins you're using. When Rainmeter starts, it tries to activate the previously loaded skins and if one of them is causing the crash, Rainmeter itself closes as described.
Recommend to hold down the CTRL when you're launching Rainmeter. This causes it to launch on safe mode (obviously click Yes in the appropriate window), loading only the default illustro skins, which probably are ok. If Rainmeter starts up normally, start loading the skins which have been loaded (the ones listed above, probably). Load one skin at a time and if activates normally wait at least a few minutes, to see if it does work properly. If it does, load the second skin and repeat the procedure. At a point I suppose one skin will crash Rainmeter. If it does, please post the name of the skin causing the trouble.
dhmolson

Post by dhmolson »

balala wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:51 pm I suppose this is caused by one of the skins you're using. When Rainmeter starts, it tries to activate the previously loaded skins and if one of them is causing the crash, Rainmeter itself closes as described.
Recommend to hold down the CTRL when you're launching Rainmeter. This causes it to launch on safe mode (obviously click Yes in the appropriate window), loading only the default illustro skins, which probably are ok. If Rainmeter starts up normally, start loading the skins which have been loaded (the ones listed above, probably). Load one skin at a time and if activates normally wait at least a few minutes, to see if it does work properly. If it does, load the second skin and repeat the procedure. At a point I suppose one skin will crash Rainmeter. If it does, please post the name of the skin causing the trouble.
The skin that was causing the crash was ModernGadgets, which I am super bummed about because I bought a paid subscription to HWiNFO64 Pro specifically for this skin so that I could monitor my CPU and GPU via a Rainmeter skin. I will try to reach out to the creator of ModernGadgets and see if they can fix this.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Actually, I'm not sure the skins are causing the crash in this case. I don't know if it's the same issue, but I had crashes too (I'm on 4.4.3506 beta), mostly when installing the skins from .RMSKIN files. Maybe it was because of the skins themselves, or maybe not. I'm thinking whether the silent install / winget additions didn't somehow break something. Unfortunately I can't replicate this for the moment, but there were 3 crashes I had in the past few days - very un-Rainmeter like. :confused:
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Yincognito wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:14 pm I'm thinking whether the silent install / winget additions didn't somehow break something.
The silent install code isn't part of the Rainmeter application, it is the NSIS installer script we use to create the installer executable.

The only recent (non-language) changes to the Rainmeter application in the last month are: the meterstyle inline lua issue (r3506), the most recent currentsection issue (r3500), and the parsing of bang replacement variables (r3493).

While most crashes at Rainmeter startup are usually a skin (or plugin) issue, some are not. I am not sure any of the changes described above would crash Rainmeter outright, but you never know.

-Brian
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

dhmolson wrote: July 28th, 2021, 10:17 pm The skin that was causing the crash was ModernGadgets, which I am super bummed about because I bought a paid subscription to HWiNFO64 Pro specifically for this skin so that I could monitor my CPU and GPU via a Rainmeter skin. I will try to reach out to the creator of ModernGadgets and see if they can fix this.
ModernGadgets is a suite, containing more skins. Which one of them has caused the crash?
Thinkr8

Post by Thinkr8 »

dhmolson wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:22 pm I am also experiencing a silent crash problem at startup. Silent meaning there is no error that comes up upon crash, it just crashes and closes the program. First the program freezes and becomes unresponsive, and then after a short while it closes itself. It happens every time I start Windows, before any of my skins even load, but usually if I force close Rainmeter with Task Manager and then start it back up a couple of times, eventually Rainmeter will come up and work with no issues.
I'm experiencing the same issue -but- I'm not using 3rd party skins, I'm creating my own and am currently experiencing this issue.
I have no idea what is causing it. I updated to the 3507 beta 64-bit version just now, so I'll have to wait and see if this is a fix.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Thinkr8 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:46 am I'm experiencing the same issue -but- I'm not using 3rd party skins, I'm creating my own and am currently experiencing this issue.
I have no idea what is causing it. I updated to the 3507 beta 64-bit version just now, so I'll have to wait and see if this is a fix.
Still sustain that at least in most cases, this kind of problems are caused by skins. Doesn't matter if those skins have been written by you or by others, if there are some mistakes, they can cause Rainmeter to break. Recommend the same thing as to dhmolson.