It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:13 am

[Suggestion] E x p a n d a b l e skins menu

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Cariboudjan

[Suggestion] E x p a n d a b l e skins menu

Post by Cariboudjan »

Some of my skins within folders within folders within folders are longer than the menu allows. Would love for this portion of the menu to be e x p a n d a b l e. I currently can't tell which skin I am currently looking at.

Even if it's just a tooltip popup that reads the full skin name would be enough.

Screenshot 2021-07-20 013104.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Suggestion] E x p a n d a b l e skins menu

Post by SilverAzide »

I know this isn't addressing your suggestion, but it looks like part of the issue is your Windows DPI setting isn't being handled properly in the dialog. My DPI setting is 100% and there is plenty of room for names much longer than what you are showing in your screenshot. You can see also that the listboxes are actually overflowing outside the bounds of the tab itself. So I think part of the solution to your issue is the dialog needs to be tweaked to handle high DPI settings -- OR, you need to tweak your Rainmeter shortcut so Rainmeter runs at 100% instead of using your Windows DPI.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: July 20th, 2021, 11:55 am I know this isn't addressing your suggestion, but it looks like part of the issue is your Windows DPI setting isn't being handled properly in the dialog. My DPI setting is 100% and there is plenty of room for names much longer than what you are showing in your screenshot. You can see also that the listboxes are actually overflowing outside the bounds of the tab itself. So I think part of the solution to your issue is the dialog needs to be tweaked to handle high DPI settings.
Yeah, something is weird there. I'm not sure if it is DPI or Accessibility / Text Size.

This has never been an issue for me...

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

For me (still on the 3500 beta, Win 10 v. 1803, 100% DPI), if the text is long enough, a scrollbar appears at the bottom so I can see every part of it when dragging. Doesn't this qualifies as "expandable"? :???:
Skin Path.jpg
P.S. Not sure if it's the DPI or similar, but there is some weird artefact at the bottom left corner of your screenshot window (the left listbox frame). It's not easily visible since it's grey on grey, but take a look:
Artefact.jpg
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

Yincognito wrote: July 20th, 2021, 3:56 pm For me (still on the 3500 beta, Win 10 v. 1803, 100% DPI), if the text is long enough, a scrollbar appears at the bottom so I can see every part of it when dragging. Doesn't this qualifies as "expandable"? :???:
Skin Path.jpg
P.S. Not sure if it's the DPI or similar, but there is some weird artefact at the bottom left corner of your screenshot window (the left listbox frame). It's not easily visible since it's grey on grey, but take a look:
Artefact.jpg
A scrollbar doesn't appear on my end. My Windows DPI setting is 150%
Screenshot 2021-07-21 012617.png
This is 100% DPI: (I can't feasibly use 100% DPI because the monitor resolution is 2160x1440 on a 10.8" display.
Screenshot 2021-07-21 013011.png
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Cariboudjan wrote: July 21st, 2021, 7:32 amI can't feasibly use 100% DPI because the monitor resolution is 2160x1440 on a 10.8" display.
Yes, of course, it makes sense. However, for me, at 125% DPI in Settings (no Advanced Scaled Settings, Fix Scaling For Apps, or Custom Scaling, although I don't think changing these will necessarily affect the result):
DPI 125.jpg
As you can see, the scrollbar is there, strange corner artefacts don't occur, and so on. I didn't restart my laptop, by the way, but I did close and restart Rainmeter just to make sure the results are "genuine". I have no idea why for you those undesirable effects happen, but based on my tests, I believe those sides effects shouldn't happen for you either, even if you're at 150% DPI. I'm not counting the system differences or the way the scaling is done, of course.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, does the scrollbar appear for you at 100% (or even 125%) DPI? For easy testing, just build some:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.ini
skin INI path or similar and throw some dummy code with a meter there to see what happens in the About / Skins window.

P.S.S. I would also try to temporarily unload any skins that use plugins to play with the DPI scaling (in case you have such), just to make sure the issue doesn't come from that side of the setup.
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

Interestingly enough, when I make a folder length long enough it does show a scrollbar, but it seems that threshold for when the scrollbar should appear is based on where it would appear at 100% DPI instead of the user's DPI.

The scrollbar does appear if the folder length is long enough, but it still even when the scrollbar is moved all of the way to the right, it does not show the full path.

If it helps, I am using the "~ HIGHDPIAWARE" registry hack. Using ~ HIGHDPIAWARE fixes the blurriness in Rainmeter but doesn't appear to affect the scaling of the Rainmeter dialog windows? This isn't a complaint. I prefer it this way. I can always scale up a Rainmeter skin with ~ HIGHDPIAWARE enabled, but I can't do that with the UI so this functionality is preferred but maybe it is causing the problems I'm having?

Screenshot 2021-07-21 195346.png
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Cariboudjan wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 1:55 am Interestingly enough, when I make a folder length long enough it does show a scrollbar, but it seems that threshold for when the scrollbar should appear is based on where it would appear at 100% DPI instead of the user's DPI.

The scrollbar does appear if the folder length is long enough, but it still even when the scrollbar is moved all of the way to the right, it does not show the full path.

If it helps, I am using the "~ HIGHDPIAWARE" registry hack. Using ~ HIGHDPIAWARE fixes the blurriness in Rainmeter but doesn't appear to affect the scaling of the Rainmeter dialog windows? This isn't a complaint. I prefer it this way. I can always scale up a Rainmeter skin with ~ HIGHDPIAWARE enabled, but I can't do that with the UI so this functionality is preferred but maybe it is causing the problems I'm having?
Well, it's good that you made some progress with this, at least now you know the scrollbar appears and why it's still insufficient due to being triggered for the wrong threshold (100% DPI instead of 150% DPI). I didn't use registry hacks to change DPI or fix blurriness (not that it would be wrong, as long as the hack is properly done), so I can't tell if that is the culprit, but it's worth exploring whether fully disabling the hack (if you can) and doing stuff the standard way through Windows settings doesn't by any chance correct the problem for you. All I can tell is that when I did it the standard way (don't know about blurriness, since I didn't have to correct that aspect), there were no side effects and everything worked as expected.

Bottom line, I would start (and do) this the "clean way", and see if it works. If it doesn't, maybe there is a problem somewhere that can be addressed in Rainmeter, but if it does then something on your system (skins, plugins, scaling method, etc.) is preventing the expected result. Either way, you'll be much closer in identifying the actual culprit and hopefully get this fixed one way or another.

EDIT: From SuperUser.com:
So setting HIGHDPIAWARE in ...\AppCompatFlags\Layers doesn't automatically make your app hi-dpi aware. It just makes Windows think that the app is hi-dpi aware and disable scaling. The app is shown at 100% scaling so it'll be smaller on high-dpi displays, but the result is sharper
Maybe this explains why the threshold is still based on 100% DPI and not the user set DPI? :???: