It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:19 pm

Silent Install

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.4 beta cycle.
jsmorley
Developer

Silent Install

Post by jsmorley »

We have (re) implemented the ability to do a "Silent Install" of Rainmeter from the command line.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/installing-rainmeter/#SilentInstallation

This is primarily to get ready for future support of installing and updating Rainmeter using the WinGet - Windows Package Manager service that is going to soon be widely available in Windows. Rainmeter is not yet supported in the WinGet repository, but will be added as soon as the WinGet application and repository are available and reliable.

Do please try out and test this Silent Install functionality and let us know about any issues you encounter.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Silent Install

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: July 18th, 2021, 4:59 pm We have (re) implemented the ability to do a "Silent Install" of Rainmeter from the command line.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/installing-rainmeter/#SilentInstallation

This is primarily to get ready for future support of installing and updating Rainmeter using the WinGet - Windows Package Manager service that is going to soon be widely available in Windows. Rainmeter is not yet supported in the WinGet repository, but will be added as soon as the WinGet application and repository are available and reliable.

Do please try out and test this Silent Install functionality and let us know about any issues you encounter.
On the powershell script in silent install:

Code: Select all

# This Powershell script does not need to be opened "As Administrator", as the command is evelated in the script. Pass it the name of the setup executable as a parameter.

param(
	[Parameter(Mandatory)]
	[string]
	$InstallerPath
)

Write-Host Installing Rainmeter...

Start-Process -FilePath $InstallerPath -ArgumentList "/S /LANGUAGE=1033 /PORTABLE=0 /VERSION=64 /AUTOSTARTUP=1 /D=`"$($env:ProgramFiles)\Rainmeter`"" -verb runas

Write-Host Waiting 2 seconds...

Start-Sleep -s 2

Write-Host Starting Rainmeter...

Start-Process -FilePath "$($env:ProgramFiles)\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe" -WorkingDirectory "$($env:ProgramFiles)\Rainmeter"

Start-Sleep -s 1

stop-process -Id $PID
The above script would be more feasible since everyone's program files directory is not in C. And you can run this script directly and then give the parameter, or give the parameters and run it. Tho it doesn't matter much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 1: Tried the installer. And it installs fine. Tho, after an update, it didn't restart. I have to test that again.

Edit 2: On second and third try, it started alright after update. So I guess everything works fine.👍

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the script if someone is lazy:
RainStaller.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
from the Realm of Death
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

death.crafter wrote: July 18th, 2021, 5:30 pm On the powershell script in silent install:
Ok, I think yours is better enough without being too complicated. I have changed the example in the documentation.

Thanks!
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: July 18th, 2021, 11:41 pm Ok, I think yours is better enough without being too complicated. I have changed the example in the documentation.

Thanks!
:great:
from the Realm of Death
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

In and of itself, the Silent Install is not terribly useful for most folks. It doesn't make it any easier or quicker to install Rainmeter really, and we are not promoting, nor encouraging, "rolling out" Rainmeter widespread in a corporate environment using the feature.

However, it is going to be very useful once we get Rainmeter implemented in the WinGet repository. Being able to run one simple command that downloads and installs the latest beta or release version of Rainmeter will be a time-saver indeed.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: July 19th, 2021, 1:00 pm In and of itself, the Silent Install is not terribly useful for most folks. It doesn't make it any easier or quicker to install Rainmeter really, and we are not promoting, nor encouraging, "rolling out" Rainmeter widespread in a corporate environment using the feature.

However, it is going to be very useful once we get Rainmeter implemented in the WinGet repository. Being able to run one simple command that downloads and installs the latest beta or release version of Rainmeter will be a time-saver indeed.
Exactly. I wouldn't make a script that installs Rainmeter. I would just download it. But, if it were between winget and manual, I would prefer winget, since I am not a fan of portable anyway and I can just run it easily.

On a second note, are you guys planning to bring it to the Mirosoft Store? Since it is planning to support win32 apps too.
from the Realm of Death
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

death.crafter wrote: July 19th, 2021, 1:08 pm Exactly. I wouldn't make a script that installs Rainmeter. I would just download it. But, if it were between winget and manual, I would prefer winget, since I am not a fan of portable anyway and I can just run it easily.

On a second note, are you guys planning to bring it to the Mirosoft Store? Since it is planning to support win32 apps too.
We have not looked into that. I am very, very skeptical that the Microsoft Store is going to ever be anything but crap. I personally have download exactly zero things from it. I see no real benefit to the user installing from the Microsoft Store, which we obviously don't control, vs from https://www.rainmeter.net/, which we do.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: July 19th, 2021, 1:11 pm We have not looked into that. I am very, very skeptical that the Microsoft Store is going to ever be anything but crap. I personally have download exactly zero things from it. I see no benefit to the user downloading the installer from the Microsoft Store, vs from https://www.rainmeter.net/.
It wouldn't download the installer, but install it directly. And automatic updates
Which probably is better than winget :Whistle
and stuff. I am not saying that you got to do it or something. Just asking if you were planning to :P
from the Realm of Death
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

death.crafter wrote: July 19th, 2021, 1:17 pm It wouldn't download the installer, but install it directly. And automatic updates
Which probably is better than winget :Whistle
and stuff. I am not saying that you got to do it or something. Just asking if you were planning to :P
I'm certainly not opposed in principle or anything. It's something we will look at, probably when Windows 11 is a lot closer to begin finalized.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Oooo now I can finally share this trick
http://rainmeter.github.io/rainmeter/status.json
If you wanna automatically update Rainmeter when a new version appears, use this site to get the latest version. The 2 resources you can use to download the installers for auto-updates are https://builds.rainmeter.net and https://github.com/rainmeter/rainmeter/releases
Right now Rainmeter only tells you in the corner there's a new version when it happens and that's all, with silent install and this site, you can probably create something named RainUpdater, improve THAT chocolatey script, make it so it lunches winget when a new version appears or much more

For beta revisions.... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh