It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 11:45 am

Thread about Windows 11

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
Active Colors

Re: Thread about Windows 11

Post by Active Colors »

death.crafter wrote: July 9th, 2021, 6:03 pm Actually there is no option for that, in Windows 11,
yet
I see that there is still the classic Control Panel in Windows 11. Can you go through this way and see if you have the option? The way:
Image 1.png
Just in case, try to paste the command line in the Run dialog (win+R) and it should open the same dialog:
"C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe" shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL input.dll
and then go to Language Bar tab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Active Colors wrote: July 10th, 2021, 10:56 am I see that there is still the classic Control Panel in Windows 11. Can you go through this way and see if you have the option? The way:
Image 1.png
Alternatively, past the command line in the Run dialog (win+R):
"C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe" shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL input.dll
and then go to Language Bar tab.
No, Language is not included in Control Panel at all any more.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

jsmorley wrote: July 10th, 2021, 11:05 am No, Language is not included in Control Panel at all any more.
Oh, I see, yeah I didn't pay attention to the screenshots of how it looks in Win11:
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

As far as I can see at this time, the only way to get rid of that Language/Keyboard selector from the Taskbar System Icon area is to go to Languages in Settings, remove all but ONE language, then drill down in the language options and remove all but ONE keyboard layout.

I'm pretty sure this will change before release, or some hack will be found.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

jsmorley wrote: July 10th, 2021, 11:05 am No, Language is not included in Control Panel at all any more.
What about this?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Hmm.. that looks promising. I'll test it a bit later.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

jsmorley wrote: July 10th, 2021, 11:27 am Hmm.. that looks promising. I'll test it a bit later.
This is rather for death.crafter but go ahead too :p
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yep. That is the ticket Active Colors!

https://nerdschalk.com/how-to-remove-language-switcher-from-the-taskbar-on-windows-11/

1.jpg

Could this BE any more buried, obtuse and obscure?

What this comes down to is that if you use the Language Bar (a floating selector on your desktop) for language or keyboard selection, that overrides the selector on the Taskbar System Icon area and turns it off. Since you presumably don't want the floating bar either, you just make that "hidden".
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

There was another good tip on that NerdsChalk.com site:

https://nerdschalk.com/how-to-get-back-the-old-context-menu-in-windows-11-on-right-click/

This will restore the old right-click context menu for all drives, folders and files in Explorer. About the only place I see it doesn't work is with shortcuts or files on the Windows Desktop.

The new two-stage right-click context menus are just the worst thing ever in my view. If they change it to allow easy customization of what is on the top-level context menu in the new approach, then it would be really nice. As it is, I hated it. I agree that the old context menus have gotten long and trashed-up with stuff you never use over time. and those are NOT trivial or obvious how to manage either, but I'd rather "too much" than "not enough".

While I'm not by default one of those who instantly says "How do I get the old behavior? New is BAD!", and many things you will actually find make a lot of sense once you get used to them, not always...
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

I had searched google prior and found out about this. But thank you for the response.
from the Realm of Death