jsmorley
Developer

JSMeter10

Post by jsmorley »

I have updated and released my personal set of skins - JSMeter10

Information on the suite at GitHub - JSMeter10 README

You can download the .rmskin at GitHub - JSMeter10 Releases

CurrentDesk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Templar72

Re: JSMeter10

Post by Templar72 »

LOVE IT TY
Templar72

Post by Templar72 »

Trouble on the weather settings .. Please advise. TY
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Just right click the skin and select "Choose location"

Then enter a search term for where you live, hit ENTER, and then click the little magnifying glass.

Select the latitude and longitude for your location and it will set it for you in the skin.

1.jpg

2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Templar72

Post by Templar72 »

Some reason doesn't list my location... Just figured it out had --97XXXXX removed the - Working great Love the theme.
GJBNH

Post by GJBNH »

LOVE this...still trying to sort it all out. Works pretty much "out of the box."...but I'm lost about the CPU temperature...help please :)
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Nice Suite with some good ideas in there, thanks for sharing :D

My only gripe, as with many skins it seems, is that when stuff is added to the @Resource folder, everything is basically dumped in there instead of each suite or skin having it's own subfolder.

So your suite for example, should have the path to it's resource content as #@#JSMorley10\(content here). I get it, it's a Suite, but if users combine with other skins, it all gets jumbled together.

At present, it is a major pain to remove anything that just dumps content into the @Resource folder.
- MuLab -
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sl23 wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 9:59 pm Nice Suite with some good ideas in there, thanks for sharing :D

My only gripe, as with many skins it seems, is that when stuff is added to the @Resource folder, everything is basically dumped in there instead of each suite or skin having it's own subfolder.

So your suite for example, should have the path to it's resource content as #@#JSMorley10\(content here). I get it, it's a Suite, but if users combine with other skins, it all gets jumbled together.

At present, it is a major pain to remove anything that just dumps content into the @Resource folder.
I'm not entirely sure I follow. The @Resources folder in question is in the root config for, and owned by this JSMeter10 suite. Different suites can't share a single @Resources folder. There is no such thing as a "global" @Resources folder, nor could there ever be. Certain folders, like Fonts or Cursors MUST be at the @Resources\Fonts level, and can't be placed in a subfolder of @Resources.

If you want to merge two suites, this will mean copying over all the files and folders from suite A to suite B into the single @Resources folder for the combined suite, being careful that there are not duplicate file names in them. Merging two suites, or even just creating a single new suite from two or more existing skins at all, is a bit complicated, and some care must be taken. You probably want to create a new root config folder for the new suite, and create a new @Resources folder under that. Then start copying over skin folders and the contents of @Resources from each of the existing skins into the new suite root config folder. You will have to take care that there are no duplicate config folder names like "Weather" or "System", and no duplicate file names like "Settings.inc" or "Variables.inc" in the @Resources folder.

I resist the idea that suite authors need to anticipate this by creating subfolders under @Resources specific to the suite. Aside from just complicating everything for the author for something that is super rare and not the responsibility of the suite author, the fact is that it just isn't possible for some folders like Fonts that MUST be at the @Resources level. You simply cannot use @Resources\JSMeter10\Fonts.

I mean why would I want to use ImageName=#@#JSMeter10\Images\MyImage.png instead of ImageName=#@#Images\MyImage.png and in about a million other places in my skins? To be honest, this won't make combining skins or suites all that much less complicated, and it assumes that ALL skin authors are going to follow this approach, which of course is never going to happen.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

I sort of see your point with regards to a suite, after all its designed to be a self contained bunch of skins used on their own.

It's just caused a great deal of hassle with skins downloaded and installed via the skin package directly. Now I always extract the package and edit all files to remove any reference to the resource folder as well as moving relevant files.

To me, for simpler skins, the resource folder should not be used.I suppose it comes down to how they are organised in the skin folder and I get the reason it is the way it is, but we don't all work that way.

I create my own suite of skins but have to install downloads separately under the Rainmeter skin folder so as to avoid this dumping of every file into a single resource folder! Just seems messy to me.

I don't want to create a new 'suite' folder everytime I install a new skin to try out. For example I installed some weather skins to try and see what worked for me, but as I installed then into the same suite, it merges the resource folders into one.

Personally, I don't like installing packages of any kind as I have no idea and no control what goes where. And I also have no idea what exactly is installed, so don't know what needs to be removed, what's used by what, etc.

So every time I download a skin, if I installed the skin package it would go into the 'Skin' folder, yes? If I wish to keep the skin, I then have to edit and move all files into its own folder. With complex skins this isn't easy.

Hope that all makes sense? I don't mean to come across negatively, just trying to explain how it can cause a mess.
- MuLab -
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

sl23 wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 4:32 pm
I don't quite follow. @Resources is a way of keeping things tidy and organized. It's not that we can not keep it outside resources, we just prefer it.

And about suites, they come in one folder, and the folder's name is most probably what the skin's name is, so I don't see how you can not know what you did install, unless you got the skin from a relatively new author who names his skin different in packager.

And about extracting the skins, there is a large probability your skin won't work because of missing plugins if you forget to put the plugins in place. And what you do by extracting, the skin installer does the same thing, just for the extra things like refreshing the app and loading skins if opted for etc. So if you are worried about viruses in the folder, it doesn't matter that much.
P.S.- If we wanted to we can inject anything we like. It's but an matter of trust and integrity.
If you want to try out an skin, you can just install it, try it out and keep or delete it afterwards. I don't see any need to edit it to change how it works. And there is also a probability of breaking it.
from the Realm of Death