It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:36 am

[FEATURE] Declared order of variables and measures in About window

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Active Colors

[FEATURE] Declared order of variables and measures in About window

Post by Active Colors »

Currently Skins tab in About window lists Measures and Variables in alphabetical order.

For example, if I have:

Code: Select all

[Variables]
Text=Rainmeter is cool
Style=Default
Image=rainmeter.png
in the Skins tab it will be sorted alphabetically as:

Code: Select all

NAME			STRING

VARIABLES
Image 			rainmeter.png
Style 			Default
Text 			Rainmeter is cool

Would it be possible to add a sorting by the loaded order they were declared in a skin? For instance by clicking on the Name column.
This would be helpful in debugging skins and observing how Rainmeter actually loads variables and measures.
Brian
Developer

Re: [FEATURE] Declared order of variables and measures in About window

Post by Brian »

This might be difficult for efficiency issues. The internal container uses a "hashing" algorithm for speedy access. The dialog retrieves this "unordered" list and sorts them alphabetically - otherwise the results would be random.

Anyway, we could use a different "ordered" container to store these values - but I fear longer access times. Maybe there is a solution storing an additional position "index" value to only be used in the About dialog.... :confused:

-Brian
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

How would one handle variables that are "created" by !SetVariable at some point in the running of the skin?
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Brian wrote: June 29th, 2021, 6:14 am This might be difficult for efficiency issues. The internal container uses a "hashing" algorithm for speedy access. The dialog retrieves this "unordered" list and sorts them alphabetically - otherwise the results would be random.

Anyway, we could use a different "ordered" container to store these values - but I fear longer access times. Maybe there is a solution storing an additional position "index" value to only be used in the About dialog.... :confused:

-Brian
I didn't think that the process was that convoluted.I thought Rainmeter already loads them chronologically and it would be easy to display them in the same chronological way.
Then it sounds as a very hard work with some efficiency drawbacks. I think in this case it is better not to tackle this and I suppose there are more important things to do at the moment.

jsmorley, regarding storing the variables that appear at some point I guess they could be added at the end of the chronological list. But so far I see it is not worthy to tackle this as at the beginning I thought this would be fairly easy.

Thanks for chiming in!