It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:36 pm

Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
olenbr

Re: Gadgets 6.1.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by olenbr »

SilverAzide wrote: June 26th, 2021, 3:17 pm THANK YOU! This is great info!!

(You can copy text just by selecting with the mouse and hitting Ctrl-C, like normal. At least, you can in Win10/Server 2016. On your Server 2012 (?) machine you might need to click the window menu to select the Edit > Mark and Copy menus, I forget how that works in that version. Ctrl-M to mark?)

So, this is the key to one big problem (especially with the stuff in the red rectangle). I've never seen a machine where the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS environment variable does not match the WMI NumberOfLogicalProcessors value. They are supposed to match, as far as I know. But then again, maybe it won't match because perhaps it is reporting the core count on the CPU the process is running on? Anyway, this finally answers the mystery of why the skin is only showing half of your cores. The CPU Meter looks at the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS value to determine how to configure the skin. Because it is finding only half your cores, the skin is missing cores 29 to 56. And it is probably misconfiguring the 1-28 cores too, because things are mis-matched in the logic.

One quick fix is to open the Settings and check the option "Use Legacy mode". This will change the internal logic and may show activity for at least 28 cores. This might "partially fix" the skin I posted for you with 2 graphs (not sure).

Again, let me know if you want a single skin with 2 graphs, or a separate skin for each physical CPU... or if you just want the default skin to work LOL. Now that I understand your hardware, it makes more sense to me how this needs to work.

(And it tells me I need to fix the CPU Meter for the next release, so it does not rely on the NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS variable!)
I tried the legacy mode but no dice, however after going through entire CPU meter.ini, older 5.5.1 versus 6.1.1 side by side and then used process of elimination of each variables, I finally got it working. though it is two meters but I think its quite nice, dont have to worry about a super long strip LOL.

heres a vid https://streamable.com/451ne3

I can't thank you enough for your help man, it is difficult to have so many cores without knowing whats going on in the background. can't relaly live without gadgets at all now being relying on it since the windows 7 days.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 27th, 2021, 11:08 am I tried the legacy mode but no dice, however after going through entire CPU meter.ini, older 5.5.1 versus 6.1.1 side by side and then used process of elimination of each variables, I finally got it working. though it is two meters but I think its quite nice, dont have to worry about a super long strip LOL.

I can't thank you enough for your help man, it is difficult to have so many cores without knowing whats going on in the background. can't relaly live without gadgets at all now being relying on it since the windows 7 days.
Very cool video! Glad you got it working! :thumbup:
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
APK17

Post by APK17 »

SilverAzide wrote: June 26th, 2021, 9:55 pm That's strange; rebuilding your perf counters always works. Hmm. I guess I have to ask the usual questions:

Did you reboot your machine after rebuilding the counters (using the Restart option, especially if you have "fast start" or "hybrid shutdown" enabled)?
Have you made any changes to the skin? (If so, please reinstall the skins.)
If you open the Rainmeter About screen and check the log, do you see any errors?
You mentioned "missing per-core utilization bars"... you mean the whole bar is missing completely? Or they are there but just show no activity?
Do you have a machine with more than one CPU (i.e., a dual socket motherboard)?
Have you tried toggling the skin's Legacy Mode option? (In the Settings, check/uncheck the "Use Legacy Mode" option to see if it matters.)

A screenshot might help to see the issue.
Yes, I have restarted my computer a few times. I have fast start turned off.

The only changes I've made to the skin are setting up the per-CCD temp DTS, and this works properly.

In the Rainmeter About screen I do see errors. I did not realize theses were here. However, all of the errors are from the Wireless Meter gadget.

The bars are present, but never show activity. The RAM and pagefile bar work.

Just one socket in this machine.

I did try legacy mode and this didn't seem to make any difference.

I'll try re-installing the gadgets.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

APK17 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 11:36 pm Yes, I have restarted my computer a few times. I have fast start turned off.
The only changes I've made to the skin are setting up the per-CCD temp DTS, and this works properly.
In the Rainmeter About screen I do see errors. I did not realize theses were here. However, all of the errors are from the Wireless Meter gadget.
The bars are present, but never show activity. The RAM and pagefile bar work.
Just one socket in this machine.
I did try legacy mode and this didn't seem to make any difference.
I'll try re-installing the gadgets.
Thanks for the info! There is a test you can try. The Gadgets (and Rainmeter) pull CPU information from the Performance Counters database, which is why I am a little surprised that rebuilding the counters did not fix it.

Here is the test:
  • Verify that the "Use Legacy Mode" option in the CPU Meter Settings is UNchecked.
  • From the Windows Admin Tools control panel, open the Performance Monitor app.
  • Click the "Performance Monitor" option in the left pane, then click the green plus "+" to add counters.
  • From the list of available counters, find the "Processor Information" counter and click the "V" chevron to open the list.
  • Find the "% Processor Utility" counter.
  • From the instances list select <All Instances>, the click the "Add >>" button. Click OK.
You should then see a graph with all your core activity. The lines will match your Gadget since it is showing the same things (the appearance will differ a bit, obviously, plus the timing won't line up precisely, but all should roughly match). Now, for example, if Core 4 in the skin is showing no activity, look for counter instance "0,3" (#3 is core 4, starting at zero)... click it and look at the "last" value as it changes. It should also show nothing.

If it does show activity while the skin does not, then open the Rainmeter About window and on the skins tab, select the All CPU Meter. Find the measure "MeasureCPU4". The string value should be "0,3" just like the instance in PerfMon, and the number value should match what PerMon says (roughly, based on timing).

If PerfMon doesn't show any activity, then I hate to tell you but your performance counters are definitely corrupted. Try running the commands to rebuild the counters again. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to take more extreme measures. See this thread for a complete list of all things you can try: Fixing problems with UsageMonitor plugin.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

APK17 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 11:36 pm The only changes I've made to the skin are setting up the per-CCD temp DTS, and this works properly.
Also, from this statement I assume you are using an AMD CPU? Let me know if it's a Threadripper or Threadripper Pro, if it has more than 64 threads, and whether you are running in NUMA mode.
olenbr

Post by olenbr »

SilverAzide wrote: June 27th, 2021, 3:05 pm Very cool video! Glad you got it working! :thumbup:
on another note, do you konw what the reason maybe that sometimes drive meter shows the drive but doesn't show the read/write of that drive?

say I have got like 5-6 drives and all listed to show, I can see the graphcs, but not the read/write speed on the meter even though hwinfo reads them just fine. also, for ramdisk it seems this applies to direct IO ram disk also have this issue, but SCSI ramdisk seems fine.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

olenbr wrote: June 28th, 2021, 7:29 am on another note, do you konw what the reason maybe that sometimes drive meter shows the drive but doesn't show the read/write of that drive?

say I have got like 5-6 drives and all listed to show, I can see the graphcs, but not the read/write speed on the meter even though hwinfo reads them just fine. also, for ramdisk it seems this applies to direct IO ram disk also have this issue, but SCSI ramdisk seems fine.
Hmm... it sounds a little like perhaps your performance counters database is corrupted, but the symptoms are different than usual. This database is the source of the read/write stats.

See this "How to" article on the wiki site:
HOW TO: Fix your Performance Counters database.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: June 28th, 2021, 12:00 pm Hmm... it sounds a little like perhaps your performance counters database is corrupted, but the symptoms are different than usual. This database is the source of the read/write stats.

See this "How to" article on the wiki site:
HOW TO: Fix your Performance Counters database.
You might look at this post as well...

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=23156
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: June 28th, 2021, 12:04 pm You might look at this post as well...

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=23156
Yes, I refer to that post as the "nuclear option". If the simple steps fail, then bring out the big hammer... :)
philumax

Gadget in Windows 11

Post by philumax »

ÉditionWindows 11 Professionnel

Version21H2

Installé le: ‎jeudi ‎29 ‎juillet ‎2021

Build du système d’exploitation22000.100

ExpérienceWindows Feature Experience Pack 421.18901.0.3

Nom de l'appareil

ProcesseurIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

Mémoire RAM installée16,0 Go (15,7 Go utilisable)

Type du systèmeSystème d’exploitation 64 bits, processeur x64

So far, it's working.
Thank you again, for this work.
See you.