It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:31 pm

Rainmeter for Android

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter for Android

Post by Yincognito »

In case someone doesn't know yet, I'm one of those people who never backs off when he has an idea, irrespective of others' opinion, or whether they call the approach impossible, pointless, complicated or in general any such negative feedback. So, from this point of view, I'm the first to understand the desire to make a Rainmeter for Android (only the desire though). As for the practicality, that's where things don't look that well (remember, this comes from someone who is from the start supportive to such out-of-the-box ideas), for one simple reason: the whole Android system is ALREADY "widget based", meaning there is simply no need for a Rainmeter application there. In other words, Android itself is Rainmeter-like, with the unlimited ability of adding all kinds of "apps" / "skins" to personalize it any way you want. Windows, on the other hand, is kind of restrictive in that area, thus the need for applications like Rainmeter, desktop personalizers, and so on, to fill that niche.

Add to that the matter of coding such an app, which as others already pointed out, has a lot of challenges to overcome, and you get the idea. Heck, on Android even a place where all the other "apps" / "skins" are stored and "centralized" already exists, it's called Google Play. Just an example, I have a "weather" app on my phone that, apart from the CPU/GPU/RAM stuff that's particular to a PC, already has almost half of what I have in my Rainmeter skins: weather (more or less the same source as in Rainmeter, including rise and set times and all the rest), clock (including the ability to set up an alarm or change the time or timezone, access the calendar, etc.), system info (memory, space available or used on both internal and external storage, device temperature, battery status). It occupies half of my phone screen, but it deserves that space, it's very comprehensive. As for the rest of the things not part of this app I can access them easily with just one or two touches anyway. Sounds familiar? Of course: this is precisely what Rainmeter does on a Windows computer.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: June 16th, 2021, 5:50 pm In case someone doesn't know yet, I'm one of those people who never backs off when he has an idea, irrespective of others' opinion, or whether they call the approach impossible, pointless, complicated or in general any such negative feedback.
I know you're on this opinion, however keep in mind two things:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 16th, 2021, 6:44 pm I know you're on this opinion, however keep in mind two things:
Yeah, I was not reacting to the initial posts, but to the follow-ups that are much more recent. Didn't quote them as I intended my comment to be more of a general overview of the task (and emphasising the practical futility of this, since similar functionality already exists on Android) instead of directing this to another post.

I guess you know I'll (respectfully, as always) disagree with you on whether this is impossible or not, LOL. Anything is possible - with varying degrees of success, of course, and tjhrulz made a great (hypothetical) case for it just below your quoted post - but this doesn't look to me as one of those "didn't happen cause it's impossible" cases. It's much more likely that the initiator(s) of this gave up due to a lack of demand / support for this in the first place. This doesn't mean I think the task would be easy, obviously, it's just my opinion on why the initiator(s) didn't do it, eventually. It's perfectly possible to make a Rainmeter look-alike on Android. Not a Rainmeter itself, but functionally very close (excluding the PC / OS particularities, naturally).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: June 16th, 2021, 7:06 pm Yeah, I was not reacting to the initial posts, but to the follow-ups that are much more recent. Didn't quote them as I intended my comment to be more of a general overview of the task (and emphasising the practical futility of this, since similar functionality already exists on Android) instead of being directed to another post.

I guess you know I'll (respectfully, as always) disagree with you on whether this is impossible or not, LOL. Anything is possible - with varying degrees of success, of course, and tjhrulz made a great (hypothetical) case for it just below your quoted post - but this doesn't look to me as one of those "didn't happen cause it's impossible" cases. It's much more likely that the initiator(s) of this gave up due to a lack of demand / support for this in the first place. This doesn't mean I think the task would be easy, obviously, it's just my opinion on why the initiator(s) didn't do it, eventually. It's perfectly possible to make a Rainmeter look-alike on Android. Not a Rainmeter itself, but functionally very close (excluding the PC / OS particularities, naturally).
Go for it...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: June 16th, 2021, 7:07 pmGo for it...
:thumbup:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: June 16th, 2021, 7:07 pmGo for it...
No need to, Google already did it... ;-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 16th, 2021, 7:14 pm:thumbup:
You're siding with the enemy again, dear balala... :lol:
Just joking, of course. You guys know I like this type of challenges, but here's the thing:
- that challenge must be feasible (as in, it must have a practical purpose, which just isn't there for the reasons I mentioned above), so I can "believe" in it
- it must seem impossible, in order for me to be "motivated", which is again not there thanks to Google who already made making all sorts of "layers" / "apps" / "skins" / whatever possible to be designed on and for Android, thus a great part of Rainmeter functionality, from an abstract point of view, is already there
ElNuevoIRONMAN

Post by ElNuevoIRONMAN »

I need a version of Rainmeter on Android. Please, iif you create that version, pass it to me :thumbup:
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

ElNuevoIRONMAN wrote: October 17th, 2021, 6:39 pm I need a version of Rainmeter on Android. Please, iif you create that version, pass it to me :thumbup:
There is this, not as flexible as Rainmeter, but still close enough.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kustom.widget

You may have to purchase it tho
, unless you pirate it.
from the Realm of Death