It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 10:43 am

Consider Adding Back Silent Install (For new native Windows Package Manager)

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Chris800

Consider Adding Back Silent Install (For new native Windows Package Manager)

Post by Chris800 »

I know from this post that silent install was deliberately removed.

Though with the launch of the new native Windows Package Manager, which will soon be pushed out to all users via an automatic update (and requires silent install ability), I think it would be great to have it available in the repository. The repository is community contributed so it's not like you have to jump through hoops to get it approved by Microsoft or anything.

The package manager can be used by regular users, not just by businesses for mass deployment. Would be great to have rainmeter in there to easily keep it up to date, and be able to automatically install it on new computers. There can be separate entries for the stable and beta channels.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Consider Adding Back Silent Install (For new native Windows Package Manager)

Post by jsmorley »

Chris800 wrote: May 31st, 2021, 4:41 pm I know from this post that silent install was deliberately removed.

Though with the launch of the new native Windows Package Manager, which will soon be pushed out to all users via an automatic update (and requires silent install ability), I think it would be great to have it available in the repository. The repository is community contributed so it's not like you have to jump through hoops to get it approved by Microsoft or anything.

The package manager can be used by regular users, not just by businesses for mass deployment. Would be great to have rainmeter in there to easily keep it up to date, and be able to automatically install it on new computers. There can be separate entries for the stable and beta channels.
We are looking into how best to support the new WinGet functionality. Stay tuned.

We get a bit of a hammering near the end of this video... ;-)

tjhrulz
Developer

Re: Consider Adding Back Silent Install (For new native Windows Package Manager)

Post by tjhrulz »

jsmorley wrote: May 31st, 2021, 4:53 pm We are looking into how best to support the new WinGet functionality. Stay tuned.

We get a bit of a hammering near the end of this video... ;-)

I mean in our defense we did remove that feature for a reason.... :Whistle
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

It only works some of the time, MS has some work to do to catch up to Linux apt get
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Does anyone beside me keep all their installers offline? :D Preferably with several versions (older, not so older, and a newer one). I have this habit since the beginnings of my computer journey.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Active Colors wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 9:58 pm Does anyone beside me keep all their installers offline? :D Preferably with several versions (older, not so older, and a newer one). I have this habit since the beginnings of my computer journey.
Yep. I have an folder called "Software" that has everything I install. I use a free piece of software called Sumo that I run ever month or so that alerts me when something is out of date. I go get the updated applications, install them, and put them in Software for safekeeping. Been doing it this way for years and years.

That way if I want or need to re-install Windows, I just install the OS, then go one at a time through Software and boom, boom, boom... Done.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Active Colors wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 9:58 pm Does anyone beside me keep all their installers offline? :D Preferably with several versions (older, not so older, and a newer one). I have this habit since the beginnings of my computer journey.
Sure, me too:
Offline.jpg
All of them are offline installers and their folders are named according to the order of installation. I hate online installers, and apart from those software that actually need an online connection (like, say, the AV, the browser, and so on), everything else is blocked in the firewall anyway. I don't use a software to alert me of updates though, I just update them when I remember or before a clean OS installation to have all the new "features" that were possibly released in the meantime.

I used to use various backup tools as well (e.g. Rollback RX, Macrium Reflect, etc.), to preserve a certain setup, but nowadays with changes in the software development happening very fast, they make less sense. I still have them and install some, they just get rarely used currently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth