It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:47 am

Admin Mode - Rainmeter & exe's

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
CodeCode

Admin Mode - Rainmeter & exe's

Post by CodeCode »

Hello,
I manually start Rainmeter to be Administrator Mode every time I star Up my PC. This way I can start any program with a simple path shortcut without UAC.

Is there a way to use a simple shortcut to not be Admin Mode? Or is RunCommand the way for this?

Either way, I am asking for help in the direction of a parameter or argument to use a skin shortcut to start a program without Admin Privileges - the Program is PIA VPN manager.

Thanks for any help or recommendations.
CC
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
CodeCode

Re: Admin Mode - Rainmeter & exe's

Post by CodeCode »

Hello, I am guessing by the lack of comments that there is no viable solution here?

I hope someone chimes in, just to confirm that this is not possible, or is, please?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

CodeCode wrote: April 24th, 2021, 1:40 am Hello, I am guessing by the lack of comments that there is no viable solution here?

I hope someone chimes in, just to confirm that this is not possible, or is, please?
As far as I know, what you are asking for essentially boils down to bypassing UAC on a case-by-case basis. Windows is not going to allow that. The whole purpose of UAC is to shove that annoying prompt in your face to make double-sure you want to give admin level control to a program. If it were possible to bypass UAC, then you can be sure every piece of malware on the planet would be doing it and thus making UAC pointless. Your only option is to turn UAC off, which is something you might not want to do given the level of sophistication of malware that is out there these days.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

That's not what I meant.
I use rainmeter to bypass UAC for programs and apps, but it will never stop for installs whether or not Admin is needed.

What essentially is going on is this: Games and things get run as admin through rainmeter when it is run in admin mode to start with then any links to programs (not installs now) dont ask for UAC since rainmeter is granting that. You see?

I am 1trying to run my VPN not in admin mode as PIA says it is bad to run as admin - havent seen anything but ya that what they recommend.

Since rainmeter grants admin to PIA as I was lacking in saying to start with - I was trying to not utilise that granted UAC.

I have found some really screwy things that supposedly avoid the UAC but the amount of work they explain is needed every time you start the program, to me none of those ideas were even remotely worth the effort in that view of more clicks and actions than the UAC on an instanced basis.

So in that lighted hallway of endless doors to nowhere - I will just default to running PIA from start menu, now that this is clearly confusing just talking about it, nary doing it to say the least.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

SilverAzide wrote: April 24th, 2021, 2:52 pm As far as I know, what you are asking for essentially boils down to bypassing UAC on a case-by-case basis. Windows is not going to allow that. The whole purpose of UAC is to shove that annoying prompt in your face to make double-sure you want to give admin level control to a program. If it were possible to bypass UAC, then you can be sure every piece of malware on the planet would be doing it and thus making UAC pointless. Your only option is to turn UAC off, which is something you might not want to do given the level of sophistication of malware that is out there these days.
I think what he wants is to run an app without admin rights when launching it from Rainmeter skin. Because, if Rainmeter is running with admin rights then any app launched from Rainmeter will respectively inherit admin rights from Rainmeter. He wants to run a particular app without admin rights when launching it from Rainmeter that is running with admin rights.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Have you tried messing with Security tab of your app? I think you just can revoke admin rights from an app. But you said you have tried many options already, just checking if you tried this.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Active Colors wrote: April 24th, 2021, 7:38 pm Have you tried messing with Security tab of your app? I think you just can revoke admin rights from an app. But you said you have tried many options already, just checking if you tried this.
Capture.PNG
This isnt going to work since it will grant Admin access but not revoke it as below indicates, is possible.
This is one of those I did indeed see and read through. Messing with the registry on this one sounds like a likely exercise in buffing up on restore point skills. So, I passed it by.

There is even another that provides a desktop icon where dragging the target shortcut over it will revoke admin powers. So several steps every time to start a program.

Using the start menu isnt so bad after looking at other ones people have tried, but are really only variations of the above three.

Thanks for chiming in AC :thumbup: