It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:33 am

How to change font-size of text, or fix weather app that doesn’t even show local weather?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
John135

How to change font-size of text, or fix weather app that doesn’t even show local weather?

Post by John135 »

Hello,
I originally dl this skin and love it:
'LargeCleanWeather'
https://www.deviantart.com/jsmorley/art/LargeCleanWeather-August-4-2020-850832823
I was hoping I can figure out how to make the font size slightly smaller. If I could also find a way to add the black/grey background image like the default skin 'illustro', this skin would would be perfect for me.

But after a day, I could never figure it out, but looking around I found an 'updated' version of the default skin here:
'illustro Monitor 2.0.1'
https://www.deviantart.com/funky7monkey/art/illustro-Monitor-2-0-1-615703419

Blends perfectly, BUT there are almost NO settings I can change!
I have it working, but can't figure out how to change the weather location at all, no zip code or lat/long location at all.
The only url it has in it's settings, that I can find, are these lines:

Code: Select all

[measureMain]
Measure=plugin
Plugin=WebParser
URL=http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?zip=#ZIP#,us&APPID=ba680b1210ee7cacc29a04de724c8917&mode=xml&units=imperial
RegExp=(?siU)<current>.*</current>
UpdateRate=1200
I'm totally confused, if it's even possible.

So my question is two-fold:
1 - Is there a way to change the font-size of the first skin and add a simple background similar to the default skin?
OR
2 - Is there a way to change the weather location the 2nd skin gets it's info so it's actually useful to me?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by SilverAzide on April 1st, 2021, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use code tags when posting code. It's the </> button in the editor toolbar.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: How to change font-size of text, or fix weather app that doesn’t even show local weather?

Post by SilverAzide »

John135 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 12:40 am So my question is two-fold:
1 - Is there a way to change the font-size of the first skin and add a simple background similar to the default skin?
OR
2 - Is there a way to change the weather location the 2nd skin gets it's info so it's actually useful to me?
For your first question, the answer is "yes" but it will require a number of changes. I will let someone else tackle that answer.

For your second question, it appears from the code snippet you posted that there is a variable defined somewhere named ZIP. Someplace in the code you'll find a line something like ZIP=12345. Change the Zip code to yours, save and refresh the skin, and you should be set.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: How to change font-size of text, or fix weather app that doesn’t even show local weather?

Post by balala »

John135 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 12:40 am So my question is two-fold:
OR
Why OR? Are you not asking help for both questions?
If you are, since SilverAzide replied the second question, I'm trying to reply the first one. Hope jsmorley doesn't mind me to do this.
So you have to replace the values of all FontSize options in all String meters of the LargeCleanWeather\Weather White.ini file. Right click the skin, click More actions... and click Edit skin. The code of the skin opens in the default text editor. Look for FontSize= options within the code and enlarge all found values. How much do you have to enlarge them, depends on your needs. Me for instance tried increasing with 5 points each size, gotting the following sizes. The result looks acceptable:

[MeterDesc]
FontSize=23

[MeterTemp]
FontSize=44

[MeterRealFeel]
FontSize=15

[MeterDay1]
FontSize=19

[MeterDesc1]
FontSize=15

[MeterTemp1]
FontSize=44

[MeterDay2]
FontSize=19

[MeterDesc2]
FontSize=15

[MeterTemp2]
FontSize=44

[MeterDay3]
FontSize=19

[MeterDesc3]
FontSize=15

[MeterTemp3]
FontSize=44

John135

Post by John135 »

SilverAzide wrote: April 1st, 2021, 1:44 am For your first question, the answer is "yes" but it will require a number of changes. I will let someone else tackle that answer.

For your second question, it appears from the code snippet you posted that there is a variable defined somewhere named ZIP. Someplace in the code you'll find a line something like ZIP=12345. Change the Zip code to yours, save and refresh the skin, and you should be set.
I searched the entire 'Weather.ini' file and the ONLY place 'zip' is found in that file is in that line ONLY.
I attached the file to this post for you to look at also, that's the file that shows up when I right-click and 'edit skin', unless that's the wrong file or something.
But since I changed the word 'Weather' to 'Local Weather' and it changed to that when I refreshed the skin, it has to be the right one.
I don't even know where the 'illustro Monitor 2.0.1' weather widget is telling me where that weather is located at all.

balala wrote: April 1st, 2021, 7:09 pm Why OR? Are you not asking help for both questions?
If you are, since SilverAzide replied the second question, I'm trying to reply the first one. Hope jsmorley doesn't mind me to do this.
So you have to replace the values of all FontSize options in all String meters of the LargeCleanWeather\Weather White.ini file. Right click the skin, click More actions... and click Edit skin. The code of the skin opens in the default text editor. Look for FontSize= options within the code and enlarge all found values. How much do you have to enlarge them, depends on your needs. Me for instance tried increasing with 5 points each size, gotting the following sizes. The result looks acceptable:
I said 'OR' since I didn't see the reason to have 2 weather widgets on the desktop that say the same local weather, so was hopping to find out what one was easier to modify for my self and use only that one, sorry if that wasn't clear, my fault.
I actually only wanted to reduce the text size a bit, changed by 6 and liked it, then changed the temperature font size a few more and now it's almost perfect.
Anyway I can easily add the grey/background like the rest of the skin has to make it blend?
It would be perfect for me, if not simple or possible, I can live with it as it is.

Thanks again for both your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

John135 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:48 pm I searched the entire 'Weather.ini' file and the ONLY place 'zip' is found in that file is in that line ONLY.
I attached the file to this post for you to look at also, that's the file that shows up when I right-click and 'edit skin', unless that's the wrong file or something.
Ah, OK... See the line @Include=#@#Settings.inc? That's an "include file", which means this file includes another file. You'll find a file named Settings.inc. Usually this is in a folder C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\<skin folder>\@Resources. #@# is a special built-in Rainmeter variable that holds the path to the @Resources folder.

More importantly, at the top of the file you'll see the line ContextAction=[!ActivateConfig "illustro Monitor\Settings"]. Just right-click the skin, and from the Custom Skin Action menu, select the Settings option. The skin author has already created a secondary skin for you that will allow you to configure your settings; no need to manually edit any files. Many skin authors use this technique to invoke setup skins or set options, so try looking for a custom skin action menu whenever you try a new skin.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

John135 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:48 pm I actually only wanted to reduce the text size a bit, changed by 6 and liked it, then changed the temperature font size a few more and now it's almost perfect.
Yeah, sorry I enlarged the font size, even if asked to reduce it. Simply was not carefull enough, my bad. But seems you finally figured out by yourself how to reduce it, so I hope it's alright.
John135 wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:48 pm Anyway I can easily add the grey/background like the rest of the skin has to make it blend?
It would be perfect for me, if not simple or possible, I can live with it as it is.
It definitely is possible, but there is a small problem.
The easiest way to achieve this is to add the following two options to the [Rainmeter] section of the code:

[Rainmeter]
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=0,0,0,150
You probably have to adjust a little bit the color code used by the Solidcolor option, but I hope you can find a good color.
However since the meters are placed to right, the skin has on left a large unused space, which makes it not looking good. Instead of the above two options added to the [Rainmeter] section, you could add a Shape meter or an Image meter before the first meter of the skin, to get a better positioned background, or finally could add a background image (something like what the skins of illustro package have, Background=#@#Background.png), but again in this case the same problem occures as with solid color: a too large empty space on the left side of the skin.
Also please let me know which solution would you prefer, especially if you need assistance. If you don't know which would be the best (and you're not entirely understanding what I wrote above), please also let me know.
John135

Post by John135 »

SilverAzide wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:10 pm Ah, OK... See the line @Include=#@#Settings.inc? That's an "include file", which means this file includes another file. You'll find a file named Settings.inc. Usually this is in a folder C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\<skin folder>\@Resources. #@# is a special built-in Rainmeter variable that holds the path to the @Resources folder.

More importantly, at the top of the file you'll see the line ContextAction=[!ActivateConfig "illustro Monitor\Settings"]. Just right-click the skin, and from the Custom Skin Action menu, select the Settings option. The skin author has already created a secondary skin for you that will allow you to configure your settings; no need to manually edit any files. Many skin authors use this technique to invoke setup skins or set options, so try looking for a custom skin action menu whenever you try a new skin.
Thanks for that, oddly the 'Custom Skin Action' text is greyed out so I can't do it that way.
I searched for the file 'Settings.inc' and it was where you said it was, even had the 'zip=' in the file.
I changed it to mine and refreshed the skin, shows same info as other skin now.

Now I got it showing my local weather, but it only shows 'now/today' weather, the 2nd skin shows 'now' as well as the next 2 days worth, I'm thinking of keeping the 2nd instead but still not sure yet.
balala wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 6:34 pm You probably have to adjust a little bit the color code used by the Solidcolor option, but I hope you can find a good color.
However since the meters are placed to right, the skin has on left a large unused space, which makes it not looking good. Instead of the above two options added to the [Rainmeter] section, you could add a Shape meter or an Image meter before the first meter of the skin, to get a better positioned background, or finally could add a background image (something like what the skins of illustro package have, Background=#@#Background.png), but again in this case the same problem occures as with solid color: a too large empty space on the left side of the skin.
Also please let me know which solution would you prefer, especially if you need assistance. If you don't know which would be the best (and you're not entirely understanding what I wrote above), please also let me know.
Would I edit/add those lines to the ‘WeatherComJSONVariables.inc’ file that shows up when right click the skin and select ‘edit weather variables’, or be a different file like the 1st one has an extended file to edit instead?
I also noticed that the same directory has a file called, ‘WeatherComJSONMeasures5Day.inc’, but not sure what that's for there or how to use it.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

John135 wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:37 pm Would I edit/add those lines to the ‘WeatherComJSONVariables.inc’ file that shows up when right click the skin and select ‘edit weather variables’, or be a different file like the 1st one has an extended file to edit instead?
I also noticed that the same directory has a file called, ‘WeatherComJSONMeasures5Day.inc’, but not sure what that's for there or how to use it.
If you are referring to the "Large Clean Weather" skin, definitely do not touch the WeatherComJSONMeasures5Day.inc file. This file must never be changed; it is the key file for fetching the weather.com data and parsing it. As far as WeatherComJSONVariables.inc goes, this is the file you change to adjust your weather location or units of measure. There's nothing here for changing skin appearance; all the appearance changes you would do in the main file (the one that opens when you right-click the skin and select "Edit skin").

If you want a quick and dirty background just to get you started, at the top of the file, in the [Rainmeter] section, add the lines

[Rainmeter]
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=128,128,128,64
If either of the lines are already present with different values, comment them out temporarily by adding a semi-colon in front. The color is in "R,G,B,A" format, where "A" is the alpha (transparency) value. Alpha of 0 (or better, 1) is completely transparent while 255 is completely opaque. Once you make the above changes and refresh, your skin will have a pale gray translucent background. There are much better ways to do fancy backgrounds, but this will get you started. (This is what balala was referring to. You'll definitely want to make changes to improve appearance.)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 11:00 pm all the appearance changes you would do in the main file (the one that opens when you right-click the skin and select "Edit skin").
The skin we're talking about has its own context menu, when you right click it. The Edit skin entry isn't directly available in this context menu.
John135 wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 7:37 pm Would I edit/add those lines to the ‘WeatherComJSONVariables.inc’ file that shows up when right click the skin and select ‘edit weather variables’, or be a different file like the 1st one has an extended file to edit instead?
As SilverAzide said, you don't have to add anything neither to WeatherComJSONVariables.inc, nor to WeatherComJSONMeasures5Day.inc, but to the main .ini file (LargeCleanWeather\Weather White.ini). The simplest way to open it is to right click the skin and click More actions... in the opening context menu. On the second menu you have an Edit skin entry. This is what you have to click to get opening the skin's ini file in the default text editor.
SilverAzide wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 11:00 pm If you want a quick and dirty background just to get you started, at the top of the file, in the [Rainmeter] section, add the lines

[Rainmeter]
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=128,128,128,64
(This is what balala was referring to. You'll definitely want to make changes to improve appearance.)
I still believe adding the above options is not the best approach. They can be used, but you get a large empty space on the left side of the skin (in the below screenshot the surface marked with the green ellipse).
Weather.png
The best approach in my opinion is a properly written Shape meter.
John135, if you are interested but don't know how to add it, please let us know for assistance.
SilverAzide wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 11:00 pm Alpha of 0 (or better, 1) is completely transparent while 255 is completely opaque.
Just to let John135 to know what is the difference between an alpha value of 0 and one of 1, let's give a few details.
There is no visual diference between the codes / skins, with any of those values. But an alpha value of 0 makes the background completely transparent, which doesn't react to mouse actions (to a right click for instance). An alpha of 1 on the other hand, even if is still not visible, makes the skin to react those right clicks (or any other mouse action).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.