It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:49 am

Silent Skin installer

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
lawty

Silent Skin installer

Post by lawty »

Hiya
Has anyone managed to create a silent skin installer? At the moment you have to double click the rmskin then press ok. Be create if this could be run from a batch file like the rainmeter install.

Many thanks
Anna
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Silent Skin installer

Post by jsmorley »

lawty wrote:Hiya
Has anyone managed to create a silent skin installer? At the moment you have to double click the rmskin then press ok. Be create if this could be run from a batch file like the rainmeter install.

Many thanks
Anna
Not entirely. While you can execute the installation of a .rmskin from the command line or batch file with "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\SkinInstaller.exe" "NameOfRMSKIN.rmskin", it will still bring up the confirmation dialog box. There is no "silent install" option for SkinInstaller.exe.

Not sure I wouldn't be opposed to this in any case. While one could argue that it is the end-user's responsibility to ensure they have their carefully crafted Rainmeter setup saved as a Layout, I would be hesitant to punish a user who doesn't by having some .rmskin load an included Layout and blow away the user's current settings without asking or warning.
de_ramon

Post by de_ramon »

Hi,

I found this old thread, because I want to setup my Win10 Box unattended.

This works for Win10 und all Apps because of the fantastic work of
easy2boot and chocolatey.

Even rainmeter is installed unattended:
https://chocolatey.org/packages/rainmeter

Now I want to install my modded skin also unattended.

Could you please add an /silent Switch to "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\SkinInstaller.exe" "NameOfRMSKIN.rmskin"

Many thanks,

ramon
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

de_ramon wrote: March 31st, 2021, 7:08 am Hi,

I found this old thread, because I want to setup my Win10 Box unattended.

This works for Win10 und all Apps because of the fantastic work of
easy2boot and chocolatey.

Even rainmeter is installed unattended:
https://chocolatey.org/packages/rainmeter

Now I want to install my modded skin also unattended.

Could you please add an /silent Switch to "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\SkinInstaller.exe" "NameOfRMSKIN.rmskin"

Many thanks,

ramon
I'm sorry, but we have decided against supporting silent installs of Rainmeter skins. Installing skins is the kind of thing we feel should be entirely under the explicit control of the end-user.
de_ramon

Post by de_ramon »

Hi jsmorley,

first of all: thanks for your work and your fast answer! :p

I think the user has still total control...

It's about an /silent parameter to install the skin automatically...
If there's an admin around, he can still copy the needed skin files directly into the userprofile, etc. So the user has no control and the admin rules...

But: getting a /silent switch could make life easier for admins and users, if they want to use it. If someone clicks on the theme-file, there would be still the standard skin installer....

just my 2 cents and I'm still hoping and looking forward :welcome:

regards,
ramon
bcharboneau

Post by bcharboneau »

Yes we would like a silent skin installer as we are rolling this out as an enterprise deployment to over 5000 machines. it is incomprehensible as to why the silent option for the skin installer was not offered. i understand for one off users, but it should be the option of the user for silent install or not.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

bcharboneau wrote: January 18th, 2024, 5:37 pm Yes we would like a silent skin installer as we are rolling this out as an enterprise deployment to over 5000 machines. it is incomprehensible as to why the silent option for the skin installer was not offered. i understand for one off users, but it should be the option of the user for silent install or not.
I know the silent install would be the natural choice, but as an alternative, I guess you could compile an AutoIt / AutoHotKey script to automate that deployment, pressing those confirmation buttons or check whatever desired options when installing the skin, if you really wanted to (not sure how it would work in a networked environment, though it shouldn't be a problem)... :???:
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

There's no reason you can't do the silent install via a script (i.e., manually, not using an .rmskin file). Since you are forcing a corporate image, you can place the files in the proper location(s), force the Rainmeter.ini to be what you need, and you are done. Even if you are using custom plugins, you force stop Rainmeter, copy the plugins in the needed location(s), copy the skins, and restart...viola. There is no magic here if you are an IT person.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

:FingerUp THAT'S the post I was looking for! Thanks! Gonna have to bookmark it, especially for the pic of the red stapler.