It is currently April 19th, 2024, 4:24 am

Rainmeter Linux Port

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
Sherlock47

Rainmeter Linux Port

Post by Sherlock47 »

I am working on a Rainmeter port for Linux, that renders directly on X11 (not too unlike the way Conky does it), Programmed in C++. I know it is a difficult process as Rainmeter relies on alot of Windows API's. However, I truly believe it can work. My main goal with this project is support for all Rainmeter Skins. I do realize Conky is much more powerful than Rainmeter, but Conky has nowhere near as large a community, and so, there are next to no Conky's when compared to the amount of Rainmeter Skin's out there. I have come here for two reason's. First is to ask for permission from the Creator's, and the Second is to see if anyone here would be willing to help. Thanks in Advance.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter Linux Port

Post by balala »

Note a detail: as far as I know (however I'm not using and never used it), Linux has no registry. If I am correct, this might be a detail which can't be implemented in Linux, but a lot of written skins are using it. What would go on with them?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You don't really need our permission to port Rainmeter. It's open source.
Sherlock47

Post by Sherlock47 »

I know that under the GPL, I'm allowed to redistribute it as I wish, but I thought I'd take the permission of the original creators first. Thank you.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

balala wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:10 pm Note a detail: as far as I know (however I'm not using and never used it), Linux has no registry. If I am correct, this might be a detail which can't be implemented in Linux, but a lot of written skins are using it. What would go on with them?
And also the plugins would be needed to be rewritten. Or you would need sort of a "translator" which will adapt the plugins to the Linux realm on the go. I am not sure whether it a resource intensive thing though. Good luck.
jn_meter

Post by jn_meter »

@Original poster: I fear you will get little interest. For, as you know: Conky does exist already and is good at what it does (though the primary scripting language that it provides - as against the lua extensibility that is has in common with Rainmeter - is even more horrible than Rainmeter's); and Rainmeter's workings are somewhat integrated with Windows (even aside from plugins).

Also: it's a bad time to do something like this, because Linux is shifting - a bit quicker than before - from X to Wayland.