It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:21 pm

Public Service Announcement: Upgrading to HWiNFO 7.0

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Public Service Announcement: Upgrading to HWiNFO 7.0

Post by SilverAzide »

Hello all,

Edit: I recommend NOT upgrading past v6.42 unless necessary. See posts below. If you are upgrading anyway, read on...

If you -- or users of your skins -- upgrade to HWiNFO 7.0 from the 6.x versions, a critical setting will be changed and will need to be reset. It will happen no matter if you use the Windows installer or the portable zip install.

Installing version 7.0 over an existing version 6.x install will result in the Shared Memory Support setting toggling to OFF, even if it was previously set to ON. This will cause the HWiNFO plugin to fail to see that HWiNFO is running (skins may or may not echo this to the users).

The fix is simple: run HWiNFO and right-click the icon in the system tray and select Settings. On the Settings dialog, check the Shared Memory Support and click OK. Your skins should immediately resume working. This setting will revert back to OFF every 12 hours with the non-Pro version of HWiNFO. (Some custom Sensor window configurations may need to be reset as well, although these would have no affect on Rainmeter skins.)

Screenshot 2021-03-09 134123.png
P.S.:
An archive of all past versions of HWiNFO can be found at https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO-old.html.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
pul53dr1v3r

Re: Public Service Announcement: Upgrading to HWiNFO 7.0

Post by pul53dr1v3r »

This is one more news as far as v 7.0 is concerned:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

pul53dr1v3r wrote: March 9th, 2021, 7:13 pm This is one more news as far as v 7.0 is concerned:
Oh bummer! I won't be upgrading to 7.0...

While I understand their motivation, this is really too bad. I have no problem spending $25 for myself, but it means that you really can't distribute skins that use HWiNFO anymore. Well crap. CoreTemp may be enough for my simple needs.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Ugh, I missed that little nugget. Well... buh-bye HWiNFO. :(
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

I was livid about this at first, but Martin wrote an explanation of the change and this choice was unavoidable. He talks specifically about shared memory support in the FAQ.

I do not think I'll be rewriting my skins to use something else, because nothing else really exists that matches HWINFO. Honestly, we're lucky it's been free for this long.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

While I have no problem at all paying for HWiNFO for my personal use, I just don't see how you can still use HWiNFO and distribute Rainmeter skins that use it. Naturally any new user of your skin is going to go get the latest HWiNFO version, and the skin just won't work. I guess you can tell them that they will have to manually reset the setting for Shared Memory every 12 hours, which I can't see anyone liking at all, or tell them they will need to fork out $25 a year to use your skin, which will be as popular as a skunk at a picnic.

I really think it is time to see if CoreTemp and the CoreTemp plugin can't do enough for you. Sure, there is some information in HWiNFO that isn't captured by CoreTemp, particularly information about the GPU. But if you just need CPU temperatures, loads, speeds, and voltages, CoreTemp will do the job.

Quite a lot of the information in HWiNFO that ISN'T hardware sensor information is also available via UsageMonitor

You can get the CoreTemp application here:

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

The CoreTemp plugin for Rainmeter automatically comes with Rainmeter.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/plugins/coretemp/

You might want to set the following settings in the CoreTemp application:

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

CoreTemp will be loaded with Windows via a Scheduled Task it will set up:

5.png
core_temp_icon32.png
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

In addition to the above, if you want to monitor fan speeds AND CPU temperatures, then SpeedFan will do the job nicely. SpeedFan is slightly more tedious to configure since the temperature and fan indexes can be somewhat randomly ordered unless you manually arrange them. For example "Fan 1" and "Fan 2" could be anything: the CPU fan and the GPU fan, or the other way around. Fortunately, once you re-order them (and figure out which is which), they stay configured permanently.

The primary reason to use HWiNFO is to report on GPU data. UsageMonitor may be able to handle some simple items, but not temperatures, voltages, etc.

The plugin documentation is here: SpeedFan plugin

You can download the installer here.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

ModernGadgets actually already supports coretemp and speedfan on CPU Meter. I had considered removing support for them but they didn't really cause any issues, so I left them in. That turned out to be a very great choice.

But, as SA mentioned, GPU information is really hard to come by without HWiNFO. Perhaps it's time to investigate a proper LibreHardwareMonitor plugin.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

jsmorley wrote: March 10th, 2021, 5:53 pm Yes, there may be some hope here:

https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor
Nice, it has a web server so you should be able to access everything without a plugin, need to try this.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page