It is currently April 18th, 2024, 5:35 pm

Two seeming bugs to do with running rainmeter ini files

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
jn_meter

Two seeming bugs to do with running rainmeter ini files

Post by jn_meter »

On the version of Windows, and the version of Rainmeter, specified below, and at least on my computer, opening a skin file with Rainmeter results in 1) the skin not displaying, 2) multiple instances of Rainmeter running in the system tray.

EDIT: and when I closed one of the instances, a window appeared tell me that Rainmeter had crashed. And when I finally managed to load my skins, after much fiddling around with the 'Manage' window, every time I load one skin, the previous one disappears. Previously - before I renamed the skins and moved them to a different directory - all three of my skins showed at once, which is what I want. FURTHER EDIT: ah, the skins must be in separate folders. This irritates and causes the user to trip.

Rainmeter 4.4.0.3410 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2020-11-14 6:33:35
Commit Hash: 7bd52799
Windows 10 Pro 2009 64-bit (build 19042) - English (2057)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
Last edited by jn_meter on February 10th, 2021, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Two seeming bugs to do with running rainmeter ini files

Post by balala »

jn_meter wrote: February 10th, 2021, 1:37 pm On the version of Windows, and the version of Rainmeter, specified below, and at least on my computer, opening a skin file with Rainmeter results in 1) the skin not displaying, 2) multiple instances of Rainmeter running in the system tray.
What skin are you trying and can't open?
How do you try to open the skin (please describe in detail the steps you are going through)?
jn_meter

Post by jn_meter »

Dear balala

I will answer your questions only partially, because having spent time getting things working I now need to do some work.

The skins at issue are skins I wrote.

I tried to open them by setting Windows to associate the skin files with Rainmeter and then by double-clicking them. I undid the association because I realised that associating .ini files as such with Rainmeter was a bad idea. Perhaps Rainmeter should implement its own file extension?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

jn_meter wrote: February 10th, 2021, 2:12 pm Dear balala

I will answer your questions only partially, because having spent time getting things working I now need to do some work.

The skins at issue are skins I wrote.

I tried to open them by setting Windows to associate the skin files with Rainmeter and then by double-clicking them. I undid the association because I realised that associating .ini files as such with Rainmeter was a bad idea. Perhaps Rainmeter should implement its own file extension?
Yeah, it doesn't work that way. You can't "run" a skin, nor do we plan to try and support that. Rainmeter skins are not "run", they are "loaded" into the running application, through the application. Unlike loading a document into Microsoft Word, "where" the skin .ini file is located is the driver for pretty much everything. It allows Rainmeter to scan the Skins folder when Rainmeter is started or refreshed, it drives the all-important "config" and "variant" foundation. Trying to support just double clicking on a .ini file somewhere and having Rainmeter try to load it would just break everything.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: February 10th, 2021, 2:15 pm You can't "run" a skin, nor do we plan to try and support that. Rainmeter skins are not "run", they are "loaded" into the running application, through the application.
When jn_meter talked about "opening a skin file with Rainmeter" I thought he wants to "normally" load the skin and can't, not to simply double click the .ini file, to open it. My bad, sorry...