It is currently April 16th, 2024, 9:37 pm

Saving a layout

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
AnryuKen

Saving a layout

Post by AnryuKen »

So I have made a layout and wanted to save all the skins and its variables in case something happens to my PC or I want to try a different layout and I don't want to constantly tinker with the variables of the skins. I found out about using .rmskin package, however, I can't save multiple skin folders. A "solution" I was able to search up online is copying all the skins and dumping them all in 1 folder and creating a .rmskin package with that folder. Now the problem is this:

When I duplicate some skins and place it in a different folder, it breaks the skin with a few errors popping up. Some skins don't even load and I get an error in the log. So even if I was able to create a .rmskin package with all the skins in one folder, all of the skins in that folder are broken. Is there a way to fix this?

I can provide pictures of errors if needed.
CyberTheWorm

Re: Saving a layout

Post by CyberTheWorm »

A really easy way to do this is install a portable version on a USB stick so you can take it with you.
You can also have lots of different layouts in rainmeter
2021-02-07_08h47_57.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

AnryuKen wrote: February 7th, 2021, 12:34 pm So I have made a layout and wanted to save all the skins and its variables in case something happens to my PC or I want to try a different layout and I don't want to constantly tinker with the variables of the skins. I found out about using .rmskin package, however, I can't save multiple skin folders. A "solution" I was able to search up online is copying all the skins and dumping them all in 1 folder and creating a .rmskin package with that folder. Now the problem is this:
The easiest way to deal with this is to backup the whole Skins folder (located here), along with the c:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Layouts folder. If something happens to your PC, you can restore both, the skins and the layouts.
Just a note, recommend to backup the whole c:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter folder. If needed restore this, install Rainmeter over it and start it. Hope I'm not mistaken that it should work, having all settings, layouts and so on.
AnryuKen wrote: February 7th, 2021, 12:34 pm When I duplicate some skins and place it in a different folder, it breaks the skin with a few errors popping up. Some skins don't even load and I get an error in the log. So even if I was able to create a .rmskin package with all the skins in one folder, all of the skins in that folder are broken. Is there a way to fix this?
In such a case, most probably the @Resources folder is broken, the skin isn't able to access the resources needed to properly run. This leads to the errors. Doesn't worth dealing with such.
CyberTheWorm wrote: February 7th, 2021, 4:49 pm A really easy way to do this is install a portable version on a USB stick so you can take it with you.
I suppose Rainmeter is already installed, as non-portable.
AnryuKen

Post by AnryuKen »

balala wrote: February 7th, 2021, 4:51 pm The easiest way to deal with this is to backup the whole Skins folder (located here), along with the c:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Layouts folder. If something happens to your PC, you can restore both, the skins and the layouts.
Just a note, recommend to backup the whole c:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter folder. If needed restore this, install Rainmeter over it and start it. Hope I'm not mistaken that it should work, having all settings, layouts and so on.

In such a case, most probably the @Resources folder is broken, the skin isn't able to access the resources needed to properly run. This leads to the errors. Doesn't worth dealing with such.
I suppose it could work. What I generally want is to be able to create different layouts using the same skin(s) but with different variables since changing the variables constantly to fit different themes becomes tedious when I want to switch to different layouts from time to time. So I thought of making copies of the skins in a layout, dump them all in 1 folder, recreate and overwrite the layout with these copies, and the layout should be unaffected if I edit the original skins - if that made sense lol. Turning the folder into a .rmskinpackage is just a bonus so I can download it in the future if I for example buy a new PC or laptop.

I find it odd that duplicates of skins such as Mond Clock get messed up when I've duplicated several visualizers before and they've worked fine most of the time. I guess it differs per skin.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

AnryuKen wrote: February 7th, 2021, 5:55 pm I suppose it could work. What I generally want is to be able to create different layouts using the same skin(s) but with different variables since changing the variables constantly to fit different themes becomes tedious when I want to switch to different layouts from time to time. So I thought of making copies of the skins in a layout, dump them all in 1 folder, recreate and overwrite the layout with these copies, and the layout should be unaffected if I edit the original skins - if that made sense lol. Turning the folder into a .rmskinpackage is just a bonus so I can download it in the future if I for example buy a new PC or laptop.

I find it odd that duplicates of skins such as Mond Clock get messed up when I've duplicated several visualizers before and they've worked fine most of the time. I guess it differs per skin.
Well, this is another story. It seems I misunderstood you, sorry.
In such a case, you have to create multiple configs (for first let's work with only two), with the same content, excepting the variables, which have to be different in the two. Do you know how to create them? Based on your reply I suppose you do, if not, please let me know, to describe you the not too complicated procedure.
Then you can create the two layouts, each holding one instance of the skin and you can simply load the appropriate one.
Never, but never mix more skins into one single config. Not as if it's not possible, but most likely you'll have a lot of problems.
AnryuKen

Post by AnryuKen »

balala wrote: February 7th, 2021, 7:10 pm Well, this is another story. It seems I misunderstood you, sorry.
In such a case, you have to create multiple configs (for first let's work with only two), with the same content, excepting the variables, which have to be different in the two. Do you know how to create them? Based on your reply I suppose you do, if not, please let me know, to describe you the not too complicated procedure.
Then you can create the two layouts, each holding one instance of the skin and you can simply load the appropriate one.
Never, but never mix more skins into one single config. Not as if it's not possible, but most likely you'll have a lot of problems.
I don't exactly know what a config is in this context. All I've been doing so far is duplicating the .ini files of some skins, put them in a separate folder along with the resources and files it needs, and it should work then. I've done this with different skins varying from Visualizers, Music Info, Docks, etc. but this I think is the first time I've experienced the copy of the skins having a lot of errors.