It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:30 am

ModernGadgets 1.8.2

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
spiff72

Process Meter is empty

Post by spiff72 »

Hello all,

Just wondered if anyone knows why the process meter on my setup would be blank? It used to work in the past, but recently stopped showing any details.

Also, for the CPU meter, I had two issues/questions.

1. Does a red background in an area of the graph indicate thermal throttling?
2. My Clock speed recently started showing just 0 MHz. Which sensor in the skin is this using? I tried going into the HWinfo editor, but there isn't a "clock" entry by itself - just "core 0 clock", "core 1 clock", etc. Those core clocks seem to be showing correct data, but I can't figure out why it doesn't show up in the skin.

Thanks! This has been my go-to Rainmeter skin for system monitoring for quite some time, and I was excited to see that the weather skin got updated recently to move away from the broken DarkSky API method!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Process Meter is empty

Post by SilverAzide »

spiff72 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:23 pm Just wondered if anyone knows why the process meter on my setup would be blank? It used to work in the past, but recently stopped showing any details.
Your Windows performance counter database is most likely corrupted. This is not uncommon, and can happen from time to time. See this wiki page and perform the steps described and you should be OK.
spiff72 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:23 pm 2. My Clock speed recently started showing just 0 MHz. Which sensor in the skin is this using? I tried going into the HWinfo editor, but there isn't a "clock" entry by itself - just "core 0 clock", "core 1 clock", etc. Those core clocks seem to be showing correct data, but I can't figure out why it doesn't show up in the skin.
Any chance you are using an AMD CPU?
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
spiff72

Re: ModernGadgets 1.7.0

Post by spiff72 »

Thanks for the response. I will check out the wiki when the machine is done running some diagnostics.

It is a Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 with Intel i7-9700 (so not AMD).

Strangely the CPU clock has started working again since I posted. I tried to configure the CPU meter to play a sound when thermal throttling is detected and chose the exe file that showed up when I clicked the folder browser to choose a file. That seemed to reload the skin, and the CPU clock worked after that. I thought there may be an audio file embedded in that exe.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

spiff72 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 7:20 pm Thanks for the response. I will check out the wiki when the machine is done running some diagnostics.

It is a Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 with Intel i7-9700 (so not AMD).

Strangely the CPU clock has started working again since I posted. I tried to configure the CPU meter to play a sound when thermal throttling is detected and chose the exe file that showed up when I clicked the folder browser to choose a file. That seemed to reload the skin, and the CPU clock worked after that. I thought there may be an audio file embedded in that exe.
Okie dokie... Not sure I follow that last bit; Rainmeter can only play .wav files, so picking anything else won't work. Regarding the clock speed, there are various methods used for reporting that value depending on how the skin is configured. A zero value can be a result of a corrupted PerfCounter database related to your other issue, or using HWiNFO with a missing configuration setting, etc. At least it's now working for you.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
spiff72

Post by spiff72 »

SilverAzide wrote: February 4th, 2021, 9:13 pm Okie dokie... Not sure I follow that last bit; Rainmeter can only play .wav files, so picking anything else won't work. Regarding the clock speed, there are various methods used for reporting that value depending on how the skin is configured. A zero value can be a result of a corrupted PerfCounter database related to your other issue, or using HWiNFO with a missing configuration setting, etc. At least it's now working for you.
Just tried the method from that wiki to fix the process meter, and it worked like a charm. It also reduced the CPU usage of RainMeter from about 20% to less than 1% (huge bonus)! This is now more inline with my desktop pc's rainmeter CPU usage.

Also - I love the avatar - Spaceman Spiff is my alter ego and the source of my online username ;-)

Thanks!
lastot069

Post by lastot069 »

May have found an issue... charge rate of 653.510 Watts? Yikes!

y0himba

Post by y0himba »

Has anyone seen the changes to HWInfo yet? In the "Free" non-commercial version the shared memory support shuts itself off after 12 hours. You need to manually re-enable it. Of course you can always pay $25.00 US.

Link: https://www.hwinfo.com/version-history/
---
Once up a time there was a now playing signature here. Now it is no more. Maybe someone can make a now playing sig gen for Last.fm? :thumbup:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

y0himba wrote: March 11th, 2021, 9:43 pm Has anyone seen the changes to HWInfo yet? In the "Free" non-commercial version the shared memory support shuts itself off after 12 hours. You need to manually re-enable it. Of course you can always pay $25.00 US.

Link: https://www.hwinfo.com/version-history/
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37106
Madblaster6

Post by Madblaster6 »

shadow trekker

Post by shadow trekker »

I need help getting the GPU Meter to work after the hwinfo update. I followed these directions: https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/hwinfo/ that got me part way, I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure what the rest of the steps are.