It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:25 am

Brightness Skins not working

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Morsmodre

Brightness Skins not working

Post by Morsmodre »

I was using a brightness slider skin that uses 'Backlight' plugin: https://www.deviantart.com/zivallh/art/Brightness-Bar-1-0-859146686
It used to work before. Now it doesn't. I've tried other similar skins that use 'Backlight' plugin, and none of them work. Ex, Droptop https://www.deviantart.com/cariboudjan/art/droptop-four-762812007 uses the same plugin.
The log shows a warning:
!CommandMeasure not supported
I've tested them with v4.4 r3404,r3410, and r3412. I'm running Windows 10 20H2.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Brightness Skins not working

Post by balala »

Harshsrcc wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 4:48 pm I was using a brightness slider skin that uses 'Backlight' plugin: https://www.deviantart.com/zivallh/art/Brightness-Bar-1-0-859146686
It used to work before. Now it doesn't. I've tried other similar skins that use 'Backlight' plugin, and none of them work. Ex, Droptop https://www.deviantart.com/cariboudjan/art/droptop-four-762812007 uses the same plugin.
The log shows a warning:

I've tested them with v4.4 r3404,r3410, and r3412. I'm running Windows 10 20H2.
I have a feeling that your plugin has been corrupted somehow or has been removed.
First check if the plugin is there. Right click the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area and click About. In the opening dialog click the Plugins tab and check if the plugin exists.
If it is there try reinstalling any of the posted skins, but in the Included components menu make sure to check the plugin, in order to get it reinstalled. If you don't check it, and I am correct that the plugin is corrupted, Rainmeter doesn't reisntall it and after installation you still will use the corrupted plugin which still won't work.
Have you succeeded?
Morsmodre

Post by Morsmodre »

balala wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 7:35 pm I have a feeling that your plugin has been corrupted somehow or has been removed.
First check if the plugin is there. Right click the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area and click About. In the opening dialog click the Plugins tab and check if the plugin exists.
If it is there try reinstalling any of the posted skins, but in the Included components menu make sure to check the plugin, in order to get it reinstalled. If you don't check it, and I am correct that the plugin is corrupted, Rainmeter doesn't reisntall it and after installation you still will use the corrupted plugin which still won't work.
Have you succeeded?
Thanks, Balala
Yes, the plugin is there. I've also tried reinstalling the skins, deleting the plugin from @vault folder, and installing it from cfixd's original post https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=19221 , and yet it doesn't work. I've uploaded a screen recording here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1omSGTlqkCAnn5iWUEjg8vtH03VpBONGy/view?usp=sharing
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Harshsrcc wrote: December 24th, 2020, 3:37 am Thanks, Balala
Yes, the plugin is there. I've also tried reinstalling the skins, deleting the plugin from @vault folder, and installing it from cfixd's original post https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=19221 , and yet it doesn't work. I've uploaded a screen recording here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1omSGTlqkCAnn5iWUEjg8vtH03VpBONGy/view?usp=sharing
Well, in this case I don't know what to say, because it perfectly works for me.
Anyway what you have to take care about is that deleting the plugin from the @Vault folder doesn't fix anything for sure, becasue Rainmeter doesn't use the plugin from this folder, but from c:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Plugins\ (take care, AppData is hidden). This is the folder from which you have to delete the Backlight.dll, in order to get for sure a new copy installed. Rainmeter just stores a "backup" of the once installed plugins into the @Vault folder, to let the users to reuse them if anytime later is needed.
So, please try to do this and see if this fixes the issue.
Morsmodre

Post by Morsmodre »

balala wrote: December 24th, 2020, 3:11 pm Well, in this case I don't know what to say, because it perfectly works for me.
Anyway what you have to take care about is that deleting the plugin from the @Vault folder doesn't fix anything for sure, becasue Rainmeter doesn't use the plugin from this folder, but from c:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Plugins\ (take care, AppData is hidden). This is the folder from which you have to delete the Backlight.dll, in order to get for sure a new copy installed. Rainmeter just stores a "backup" of the once installed plugins into the @Vault folder, to let the users to reuse them if anytime later is needed.
So, please try to do this and see if this fixes the issue.
Weird that it stopped working for me, then.
Ah, didn't know that plugins were kept in AppData folder. I deleted it from there, and installed afresh. But, no luck.
I modified the skin a bit, and was able to make it work with 'ScreenBrightness' plugin by FlyingHyrax: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18506

Though it allows me to adjust Brightness, it also throws some errors:
ScreenBrightness.dll: Unable to parse brightness in "set ##"
Screen Recording:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zNdWHRN7WzE0TJh_Mrya1opSZ1G85Wyl/view?usp=sharing

I'm okay with it though. It allows me to set Brightness in the range of 0-9, at 50, and b/w 93-100. That works for me.
Thanks a lot for the help :)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Harshsrcc wrote: December 24th, 2020, 4:37 pm I modified the skin a bit, and was able to make it work with 'ScreenBrightness' plugin by FlyingHyrax: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18506

Though it allows me to adjust Brightness, it also throws some errors:
Sorry for the late reply, but the Christmas...
Please post the updated code of the skin (which is using the ScreenBrightnes.dll plugin). Without the code, I can't tell what's going on there.
Morsmodre

Post by Morsmodre »

balala wrote: December 25th, 2020, 6:36 pm Sorry for the late reply, but the Christmas...
Please post the updated code of the skin (which is using the ScreenBrightnes.dll plugin). Without the code, I can't tell what's going on there.
Merry Christmas!
I rewrote the skin by following jsmorley's mouse plugin tutorial. Now, it doesn't show any errors.
However, I still have some questions:
  • How can I adjust brightness just by clicking at some place on slider? I need to slide it, at present. I've tried removing 'RequireDragging=1', but that makes slider somewhat unresponsive
  • There's a weird issue that's bugging me: sometimes when dragging the slider, it opens a specific image from a folder buried deep inside a file directory. I've tried dragging around the skin, to see if it's being caused by some other overlapping skin, to no avail.
  • It now allows me to set brightness at any level b/w 0-100, but if it's set b/w 10-93, it defaults back to 50, whenever I deactivate and reactivate the skin

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1
RightMouseUpAction=[]

[Variables]
Scale=1
Color=255,255,255
GradientOpacity=0
GradientColor=255,255,255

[MeasureBrightness]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=ScreenBrightness.dll
Divide=100
UpdateDivider=-1
DynamicVariables=1

IfCondition=MeasureBrightness = -1
IfTrueAction=[!SetOption MeterBrightnessIcon ImageName "Brightness1.png"]
IfFalseAction=[!SetOption MeterSlider X "(([MeasureBrightness] * (200 - 20) / 100) + 20)"][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]

IfCondition2=(MeasureBrightness = 0)
IfTrueAction2=[!SetOption MeterBrightnessIcon ImageName "Brightness1.png"]
IfCondition3=(MeasureBrightness > 0) 
IfTrueAction3=[!SetOption MeterBrightnessIcon ImageName "Brightness2.png"]
IfConditionMode=1

[MeasureMouse]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Mouse
LeftMouseDragAction=[!SetOption MeterSlider X "(Clamp($MouseX$,20,200))"][!UpdateMeasure MeasurePercent][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]
LeftMouseUpAction=[!CommandMeasure MeasureMouse "Stop"]
RelativeToSkin=1
RequireDragging=1
DynamicVariables=1

[MeasurePercent]
Measure=Calc
Formula=[MeterSlider:X]
MinValue=20
MaxValue=200
DynamicVariables=1
IfCondition=MeasureBrightness > -1
IfTrueAction=[!CommandMeasure "MeasureBrightness" "set [MeasurePercent:%,0]"]
IfConditionMode=1

[MeterSkinBackground]
Meter=Shape
Shape=Rectangle 0.5,0.5,238,75,12 | Fill Color 40,46,51,255 | StrokeWidth 0 | Stroke Color 150,150,150,255
W=251
H=76
MouseActionCursor=0
MouseScrollDownAction=[!CommandMeasure MeasureBrightness "lower"][!UpdateMeasure MeasureBrightness][!Update]
MouseScrollUpAction=[!CommandMeasure MeasureBrightness "raise"][!UpdateMeasure MeasureBrightness][!Update]
UpdateDivider=-1
MouseActionCursor=0

[MeterSliderBackground]
Meter=Shape
X=20
Y=20
Shape=Rectangle 0,0,200,5,5 | Fill Color 150,150,150,255 | StrokeWidth 0

[MeterSlideBar]
Meter=Shape
X=20
Y=20
Shape=Rectangle 0,0,[MeterSlider:X],5,5 | Fill Color 41,88,208,255 | StrokeWidth 0
DynamicVariables=1

;56,150,51

[MeterSlider]
Meter=Shape
Y=12
Shape=Ellipse 10,10,5,5 | Fill Color 91,138,258,255 | StrokeWidth 0
LeftMouseDownAction=[!CommandMeasure MeasureMouse "Start"]

[MeterPercent]
Meter=String
X=22
Y=40
FontSize=11
FontWeight=700
FontColor=255,255,255,255
FontFace=Segoe UI
StringCase=UPPER
Percentual=1
NumOfDecimals=0
AntiAlias=1
DynamicVariables=1
Text=Brightness: [MeasurePercent:%,0]%

[MeterBrightnessIcon]
Meter=Image
ImageTint=#Color#,255
X=(200*#Scale#)
Y=(42*#Scale#)
W=(20*#Scale#)
PreserveAspectRatio=1
ImagePath=#@#/Images
LeftMouseUpAction=[!CommandMeasure MeasureBrightness "set 0"][!UpdateMeasure MeasureBrightness][!Update]
DynamicVariables=1
Also, unrelated to this issue, is there anyway to increase size of your CloCalWe skin?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Harshsrcc wrote: December 26th, 2020, 6:42 pm However, I still have some questions:
  • How can I adjust brightness just by clicking at some place on slider? I need to slide it, at present. I've tried removing 'RequireDragging=1', but that makes slider somewhat unresponsive
For instance by adding the LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetOption MeterSlider X "(Clamp(($MouseX$+10),20,200))"][!UpdateMeasure MeasurePercent][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw] option to the [MeterSliderBackground] meter.
Harshsrcc wrote: December 26th, 2020, 6:42 pm
  • There's a weird issue that's bugging me: sometimes when dragging the slider, it opens a specific image from a folder buried deep inside a file directory. I've tried dragging around the skin, to see if it's being caused by some other overlapping skin, to no avail.
Me personally don't see such a thing. Is always opening the same image or each time another one? Just to be sure the issue isn't cause by another skin, try to close all skins, excepting this one. Close all of them and click the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area. In the opening Manage Rainmeter dialog, click the Active skins button, to get a list of the loaded skins. Make sure there is nothing but the Brightness Bar\Brightness Bar.ini and use it to see if the issue persist. Does it?
Harshsrcc wrote: December 26th, 2020, 6:42 pm
  • It now allows me to set brightness at any level b/w 0-100, but if it's set b/w 10-93, it defaults back to 50, whenever I deactivate and reactivate the skin
Sorry, what the b / w and what the 10-93 does mean? I'm not sure I understand, howvere if I deactivate, then reactivate the skin, the brightness level doesn't change.
Harshsrcc wrote: December 26th, 2020, 6:42 pm Also, unrelated to this issue, is there anyway to increase size of your CloCalWe skin?
CloCalWe is an old skin, I wrote many years ago. In meantime I switched to newer skins (especially that the Weather component of that package doesn't work anymore, due to changes to the weather service provider). Recommend you to try the last version (1.2) of my Mirage suite. It has all three skins included into CloCalWe and many other additional ones as well. The Weather of the Mirage suite is working.
However there is a small problem with the Mirage suite: it includes the NirCmd tool and VirusTotal.com for instance gives a false positive, that the package contains viruses. It definitely doesn't, but I'm rewriting it to exclude NirCmd. I hope in a few days (up to the end of year) it'll be ready and will release it.
Nor the skins of this package don't have size adjustments, but I'm planing to add such a setting. However this a longer term project, don't know when will I have enough time to rewrite every skin of the package.
So, long story short, no, unfortunately you can't adjust the size.
Morsmodre

Post by Morsmodre »

For instance by adding the LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetOption MeterSlider X "(Clamp(($MouseX$+10),20,200))"][!UpdateMeasure MeasurePercent][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw] option to the [MeterSliderBackground] meter.
It worked! Thanks!
Is always opening the same image or each time another one?
Yes, the same image. Thing is, it doesn't open the image every time. Maybe once after 10-20 tries. I'll try your suggestion the next time this happens.
Sorry, what the b / w and what the 10-93 does mean? I'm not sure I understand, howvere if I deactivate, then reactivate the skin, the brightness level doesn't change.
b/w = between. Ex, if I set brightness at 9, it stays at 9. If I set it between 10 to 93, it changes to 50. If it doesn't change for you, it could be caused by my display drivers, I reckon.

Yes, I tried Mirage. I wanted to use your calendar skin, that allows to add events. I thought CloCalWe's calendar was same as Mirage's calendar. It's one of the most complex skins to customize :D I'll wait for your update to it :)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Harshsrcc wrote: December 26th, 2020, 8:21 pm It worked! Thanks!
Ok, I'm glad.
Harshsrcc wrote: December 26th, 2020, 8:21 pm Yes, the same image. Thing is, it doesn't open the image every time. Maybe once after 10-20 tries. I'll try your suggestion the next time this happens.
Suggest you to unload all other skins, as described, in order to make sure the issue is caused by this skin.
Harshsrcc wrote: December 26th, 2020, 8:21 pm b/w = between. Ex, if I set brightness at 9, it stays at 9. If I set it between 10 to 93, it changes to 50. If it doesn't change for you, it could be caused by my display drivers, I reckon.
No, doesn't matter what level do I set, even if I refresh, even if I unload, then reload the skin, the brightness doesn't change. So might be some driver issue, however it seems unlike. But who knows...
Harshsrcc wrote: December 26th, 2020, 8:21 pm Yes, I tried Mirage. I wanted to use your calendar skin, that allows to add events. I thought CloCalWe's calendar was same as Mirage's calendar. It's one of the most complex skins to customize :D I'll wait for your update to it :)
Thanks for the trust.
The two calendars are not exactly the same, however many things are common. Although in the Calendar of CloCalWe you can add events, you can set them only for certain date. In Mirage you can add events which will be shown on the same day of each year and additionally you can add holidays as well (also not possible in CloCalWe).
Yes, Mirage for sure became a little bit too complex, I added as many settings / options, as I could imagine. I think this is why not many people are using it, expecially that if more skins of the suite are loaded, they are using some resources.
Ok, soon I'm gonna release and upload the next version, in which I get rid of NirCmd, to avoid the VirusTotal warnings. But as said, unfortunately I'm not sure when will I finish the scalable version of it. Stay tunned, if you are interested...