It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:40 am

Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
digidog

Re: Gadgets 5.5.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by digidog »

SilverAzide wrote: November 11th, 2020, 12:08 pm Edit the All CPU Meter skin by right-clicking the skin and selecting "Edit skin". Then, find the meter [MeterLineFanUsage] and change the line Hidden=#HideFan# to Hidden=1.
Thank You. Once you point it out it seems obvious lol. I scrolled through it last night and could not make sense of the syntax.
qazserNOS

Post by qazserNOS »

First of all, thanks for the gadgets! I've been using your Rainmeter skins since 2016, I think. It's hard to remember as these are so similar to the original Gadgets and the Sidebar recreations. But also better, as there is a nice solid background option.

I just updated to an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X from an Intel Core i7-7700K and I noticed the CPU clock does not show correct values. Neither does anything other than Ryzen Master, so that's not surprising. I'd like to hide (and possibly not even measure) the CPU clock. Will you add hiding it as an option or can you tell me how to edit it?

The CPU name is also a bit wonky as for me it shows "Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Co..." I really don't need this information always visible, as I know what CPU I have and it doesn't change by itself. In it's current form it even looks aesthetically unpleasing.

I've noticed that having hardware acceleration on in Rainmeter causes serious stutter in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. The benchmark shows frametime spikes every second and some other times, as well. I've installed only the Gadget skins and the stutter happens even with only the clock Gadget skin enabled. With hardware acceleration off the consistent stutter is not there.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

qazserNOS wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:46 pm First of all, thanks for the gadgets! I've been using your Rainmeter skins since 2016, I think. It's hard to remember as these are so similar to the original Gadgets and the Sidebar recreations. But also better, as there is a nice solid background option.

I just updated to an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X from an Intel Core i7-7700K and I noticed the CPU clock does not show correct values. Neither does anything other than Ryzen Master, so that's not surprising. I'd like to hide (and possibly not even measure) the CPU clock. Will you add hiding it as an option or can you tell me how to edit it?

The CPU name is also a bit wonky as for me it shows "Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Co..." I really don't need this information always visible, as I know what CPU I have and it doesn't change by itself. In it's current form it even looks aesthetically unpleasing.

I've noticed that having hardware acceleration on in Rainmeter causes serious stutter in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. The benchmark shows frametime spikes every second and some other times, as well. I've installed only the Gadget skins and the stutter happens even with only the clock Gadget skin enabled. With hardware acceleration off the consistent stutter is not there.
Hi! Glad you like the Gadgets, and sorry you are having issues! You didn't mention if you were using the latest version of the Gadgets or what was wrong with the clock speed. But in any case, recent AMD CPUs appear to have some sort of issue with Windows and many users report the CPU clock speed comes back as zero. One of the Rainmeter devs confirmed this is an issue in Windows itself, so there's not much that can be done. However, in the most recent version of the Gadgets, I changed the way the clock speed is calculated and it should be improved and at least show something. So try installing the latest if you have not already.

If you would like to hide the clock speed, it is pretty easy to do. Right-click the skin and select Edit skin, then search for the meter [MeterCPUClock]. Find the FontColor option and change it so it is transparent, like this: FontColor=#ColorFontSubtitle2#,0 (add the bit in red). Save the file and refresh the skin and you should be good.

Regarding the CPU description, I can give you the instructions for chopping off parts of the name so it's not so long, that way you won't get the ellipsis "..." junk at the end. But if you'd just like to hide it completely, you can do like the above and change the text so it is transparent. To do that, find the meter [MeterCPUDisplayName]. Change the FontColor option like so: FontColor=#ColorFontSubtitle#,0. (P.S.: I will fix the way the name appears for AMD CPUs in the next version.)

Regarding the stutter, this has been reported by Rainmeter users (it doesn't matter which skins they are using). But to confirm, just load something super simple like the Illustro skins that come with Rainmeter (and make sure you aren't using HWiNFO or other 3rd-party utils). If the stuttering stops, then it could be a Gadgets issue (let me know!). But it if continues, then it could be some issue with your video card driver or something. You can look around on the Forums to see what the recommendations are, otherwise you can turn off acceleration if that is acceptable to you.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
qazserNOS

Post by qazserNOS »

SilverAzide wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:28 am Hi! Glad you like the Gadgets, and sorry you are having issues! You didn't mention if you were using the latest version of the Gadgets or what was wrong with the clock speed. But in any case, recent AMD CPUs appear to have some sort of issue with Windows and many users report the CPU clock speed comes back as zero. One of the Rainmeter devs confirmed this is an issue in Windows itself, so there's not much that can be done. However, in the most recent version of the Gadgets, I changed the way the clock speed is calculated and it should be improved and at least show something. So try installing the latest if you have not already.

If you would like to hide the clock speed, it is pretty easy to do. Right-click the skin and select Edit skin, then search for the meter [MeterCPUClock]. Find the FontColor option and change it so it is transparent, like this: FontColor=#ColorFontSubtitle2#,0 (add the bit in red). Save the file and refresh the skin and you should be good.

Regarding the CPU description, I can give you the instructions for chopping off parts of the name so it's not so long, that way you won't get the ellipsis "..." junk at the end. But if you'd just like to hide it completely, you can do like the above and change the text so it is transparent. To do that, find the meter [MeterCPUDisplayName]. Change the FontColor option like so: FontColor=#ColorFontSubtitle#,0. (P.S.: I will fix the way the name appears for AMD CPUs in the next version.)

Regarding the stutter, this has been reported by Rainmeter users (it doesn't matter which skins they are using). But to confirm, just load something super simple like the Illustro skins that come with Rainmeter (and make sure you aren't using HWiNFO or other 3rd-party utils). If the stuttering stops, then it could be a Gadgets issue (let me know!). But it if continues, then it could be some issue with your video card driver or something. You can look around on the Forums to see what the recommendations are, otherwise you can turn off acceleration if that is acceptable to you.
Thanks for such a thorough answer! I'll do my best to respond in kind.

I am using Gadgets version 5.5.1. Basically even as I write this message the clock speed shows 4699-4700MHz. CPU-Z shows a bit over 4700MHz, slightly fluctuating, and Windows Task Manager shows 4.85GHz (this is my all core overclock set in BIOS). Ryzen Master shows the real values, peak speed being mostly around 700MHz and fluctuating a lot.

Hiding the clock speed with your instructions worked flawlessly, great! I think that is the optimal solution until something changes that allows 3rd party applications to show the clock speed correctly.

Hiding the CPU description obviously works just as well. However, I feel that breaks the layout as then there is a huge gap under the CPU Usage text and the memory stats due to the size of the AMD logo in the upper left corner.

I downloaded the Illustro skins and loaded the default layout. It behaved exactly the same: hardware acceleration on caused consistent stutter. I couldn't find any info on the matter but clearly it's not the fault of your skins! I see no problem using Rainmeter with hardware acceleration off for now. Maybe I'll try to resolve the matter sometime later.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

qazserNOS wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 3:41 pm Thanks for such a thorough answer! I'll do my best to respond in kind.

I am using Gadgets version 5.5.1. Basically even as I write this message the clock speed shows 4699-4700MHz. CPU-Z shows a bit over 4700MHz, slightly fluctuating, and Windows Task Manager shows 4.85GHz (this is my all core overclock set in BIOS). Ryzen Master shows the real values, peak speed being mostly around 700MHz and fluctuating a lot.

Hiding the clock speed with your instructions worked flawlessly, great! I think that is the optimal solution until something changes that allows 3rd party applications to show the clock speed correctly.

Hiding the CPU description obviously works just as well. However, I feel that breaks the layout as then there is a huge gap under the CPU Usage text and the memory stats due to the size of the AMD logo in the upper left corner.

I downloaded the Illustro skins and loaded the default layout. It behaved exactly the same: hardware acceleration on caused consistent stutter. I couldn't find any info on the matter but clearly it's not the fault of your skins! I see no problem using Rainmeter with hardware acceleration off for now. Maybe I'll try to resolve the matter sometime later.
OK great! Sounds like you are set then. If you want to keep the CPU name but just clean it up a little, try the following. Edit the skin and look for a measure [MeasureCPUDisplayName]. Replace the "Substitute" line with this:

Code: Select all

Substitute="\(R\)":"","\(TM\)":"","\(tm\)":"","Intel ":"","AMD ":"","CPU ":"","@.*":""," \w+-Core.*":""," \d*-Core.*":"","\s\s":" ","\s$":""
If all works well, your CPU name should appear as "Ryzen 5 5600X" and none of the extra junk at the end. The next release of the CPU Meter includes this code.

In regard to Ryzen Master showing ~700MHz and the others showing 4700+, here's what is most likely happening. What you see in the CPU Meter is what Windows thinks your CPU speed is, which is a function of your base clock. It cannot see overclocking. Task Manager can, however. What Ryzen Master is showing is your "effective clock". If you want to see your true overclock speed and/or effective clock with Rainmeter, you'll need to use HWiNFO. That will show everything. The CPU Meter isn't really geared to show effective clock however, so it would require some significant editing to make it show that. I might add that in some future release (only in the last year or two did the HWiNFO support the effective clock).
qazserNOS

Post by qazserNOS »

SilverAzide wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 4:45 pm OK great! Sounds like you are set then. If you want to keep the CPU name but just clean it up a little, try the following. Edit the skin and look for a measure [MeasureCPUDisplayName]. Replace the "Substitute" line with this:

Substitute="\(R\)":"","\(TM\)":"","\(tm\)":"","Intel ":"","AMD ":"","CPU ":"","@.*":""," \w+-Core.*":""," \d*-Core.*":"","\s\s":" ","\s$":""
If all works well, your CPU name should appear as "Ryzen 5 5600X" and none of the extra junk at the end. The next release of the CPU Meter includes this code.

In regard to Ryzen Master showing ~700MHz and the others showing 4700+, here's what is most likely happening. What you see in the CPU Meter is what Windows thinks your CPU speed is, which is a function of your base clock. It cannot see overclocking. Task Manager can, however. What Ryzen Master is showing is your "effective clock". If you want to see your true overclock speed and/or effective clock with Rainmeter, you'll need to use HWiNFO. That will show everything. The CPU Meter isn't really geared to show effective clock however, so it would require some significant editing to make it show that. I might add that in some future release (only in the last year or two did the HWiNFO support the effective clock).
Thanks, works as advertised!
digidog

Post by digidog »

SilverAzide wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 4:45 pm OK great! Sounds like you are set then. If you want to keep the CPU name but just clean it up a little, try the following. Edit the skin and look for a measure [MeasureCPUDisplayName]. Replace the "Substitute" line with this:

This was a great tip to see ! Thank you, the truncated text bothered my OCD a little wee bit :)
It now shows just Ryzen 5 3600 as expected.

@ quazerNOS ... Soooooo jealous of your new 5600x ! I cannot get my mitts on one for love nor money...
prisoner881

Post by prisoner881 »

SilverAzide, one thing I'm curious if you have any plans to address. As core counts continue to grow, the CPU Meter is getting longer and longer. I have 16 cores displayed now (8 physical, 16 logical on a Ryzen 3800X). I can only imagine how crazy it would be with something like a 32-core monster (64 logical cores). At some point it's going to get too long to use in its current form.

Any ideas on where to go from the current design? I ask only because I can't see an easy way around it myself but hoping you're more imaginative than I am!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

prisoner881 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:26 pm SilverAzide, one thing I'm curious if you have any plans to address. As core counts continue to grow, the CPU Meter is getting longer and longer. I have 16 cores displayed now (8 physical, 16 logical on a Ryzen 3800X). I can only imagine how crazy it would be with something like a 32-core monster (64 logical cores). At some point it's going to get too long to use in its current form.

Any ideas on where to go from the current design? I ask only because I can't see an easy way around it myself but hoping you're more imaginative than I am!
Right now it's pretty much maxed out at 32 cores/64 threads, as you say. Someone tried the Gadgets on a 32-thread Threadripper. :thumbup: But no one has tried the Gadgets on a 64-core/128-thread Threadripper CPU... yet... probably because they are like $4000 a pop just for the processor. If they did, a 128-thread CPU Meter (about 1800 pixels tall!) would fit on a 4K monitor, or a normal monitor in portrait mode! :) Maybe I'll have to create a variant that runs horizontally... O.O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arbitria

Post by Arbitria »

Rainmeter Forum, hello!

AddGadgets.com gadgets are an ever-pleasing breeze of important little details right in the face of the computer age.
They have more fans than you can count.

@SilverAzide, there is a problem on Virustotal, some antiviruses identify gadgets as malware:

Gadgest 5.5.1
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/4a49f7b7ad822cf82340bdf08b69451c23f08074641349437f425ed9053ab39e/detection
Top Process 5.2.0
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/6b4fcc203f96bc3ec553ce3327aa17c99b61d121d4c951730ccb5574391ad122/detection

Thoughts ?!