It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:27 am

restore widget position on resolution change

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
gffmac

restore widget position on resolution change

Post by gffmac »

Please does anyone know how to have my widgets go back to the positions I placed them when resolution is changed. For example when my pc wakes up without the monitor being on it defaults to a lower res (primary res is 1440p) when I turn my screen on all my widgets are out of place and need to rearrange them?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: restore widget position on resolution change

Post by balala »

gffmac wrote: November 18th, 2020, 11:34 am Please does anyone know how to have my widgets go back to the positions I placed them when resolution is changed. For example when my pc wakes up without the monitor being on it defaults to a lower res (primary res is 1440p) when I turn my screen on all my widgets are out of place and need to rearrange them?
There is an easy solution, but the needed tool is old enough and I'm not sure if it still works. I suppose it should, but I'm not sure (didn't try it out).
You have to use the RainRez tool, as described on the link.
Hope this helps, but as said, I didn't try it out.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: November 18th, 2020, 1:11 pm There is an easy solution, but the needed tool is old enough and I'm not sure if it still works. I suppose it should, but I'm not sure (didn't try it out).
You have to use the RainRez tool, as described on the link.
Hope this helps, but as said, I didn't try it out.
It still works just fine.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

gffmac wrote: November 18th, 2020, 11:34 am Please does anyone know how to have my widgets go back to the positions I placed them when resolution is changed. For example when my pc wakes up without the monitor being on it defaults to a lower res (primary res is 1440p) when I turn my screen on all my widgets are out of place and need to rearrange them?
Depending on your arrangement, you may be able do this easily. Right-click the skin, select Settings > Position > From Right. This will position the skin relative to the right edge of the monitor. When your resolution changes, the skin will stay in the same place. You can try From Bottom as well for any skins you want anchored to the bottom edge of the monitor.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I need to take a look at some Rainmeter-only solution for this though. Perhaps a plugin might be in order...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: November 18th, 2020, 1:20 pm Depending on your arrangement, you may be able do this easily. Right-click the skin, select Settings > Position > From Right. This will position the skin relative to the right edge of the monitor. When your resolution changes, the skin will stay in the same place. You can try From Bottom as well for any skins you want anchored to the bottom edge of the monitor.
Yeah, this is a good alternative. If you can position your skins in a way that that is "relative" to the right and bottom edges of your monitor, you can avoid a lot of problems with resolution changes. I would strongly recommend that you set up your skins and then save a Layout.
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

Easy way for that - anchors. It works good for me. just naked bang-example:

Code: Select all

Window_X=0
Window_Y=540
Anchor_X=0
Anchor_Y=50
Monitor_Num=4
Monitor=@#Monitor_Num#
[!SetWindowPosition "#Window_X##Monitor#" "#Window_Y#" "#Anchor_X#%" "#Anchor_Y#%"]
Use may use absolute values in PX or relative ones in percents. In my case this bang sends skin to a screen's center on specific monitor.

UPD: There is 2 variables for monitor, just to allow change #Monitor_Num# from 3rd side sources like user's input. Native appearence is: WindowX@MontitorNumber
Image * Image * Image * Image
gffmac

Post by gffmac »

Thanks guys, Ill give these tips a try.