It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:00 am

W7 Rainmeter > W10

General topics related to Rainmeter.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: W7 Rainmeter > W10

Post by SilverAzide »

MourningStar wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:24 pm found it, standby ...

ok, no such file with name WeatherComJSONVariables.inc
OK, that's the source of your problem. This file is critical in that it contains the URL to weather.com. You will need to re-install the Gadgets, as it appears your installation is corrupted or is from an older version that no longer works with weather.com. After re-installing, your old Gadgets will be in a folder C:\Users\username\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\@Backup\Gadgets. You can copy any modified skins from here back to the main Gadgets folder to restore any customizations you've made.

Edit: I should point out that if you've modified the Weather Meter, don't overwrite with the backup, as you will probably break it. You'll need to merge your changes or redo them.

P.S.: To see the Gadgets version, you can edit the skin (it's there at the top of the file in the [Metadata] section), or you can see it on the Manage Rainmeter screen for the selected skin.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: October 31st, 2020, 10:07 pm I would be hesitant to just copy Rainmeter.ini from one machine to another. The risk is that the location of your Skins folder is different on your new machine, and forcing the existing value for the SkinPath option can result in problems.
I supposed the path on the two machines are the same. My bad if I'm mistakedn, just supposed this.
jsmorley wrote: October 31st, 2020, 10:07 pm 6) Copy over the folder ..AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Plugins and put it on the new machine.
This is a reliable way ONLY if both machines have the same architecture (both being either x64, or x86).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:44 pm I supposed the path on the two machines are the same. My bad if I'm mistakedn, just supposed this.
This is particularly risky when moving from Windows 7, which allowed you to define a user name for the account when installing, and Windows 10, which doesn't (unless you jump through some hoops to avoid having it name it for you.).
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

jsmorley wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:29 pm Looks like he moved the location for the latitude and longitude to:

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Gadgets\Weather Meter\WeatherLocation.inc
Contents of this file :

;//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
; Weather Meter Location
;//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Variables]
; weather channel location code (old-style codes still work as of this release)
;Location=USNY0996:1:US

Location=92392:4:US
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:44 pm This is a reliable way ONLY if both machines have the same architecture (both being either x64, or x86).
Right, I did specifically address that.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

MourningStar wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:47 pm Contents of this file :

; Weather Meter Location

[Variables]

That is definitely an old, out-of-date version of the skins.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

MourningStar wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:47 pm Contents of this file :

; Weather Meter Location

[Variables]

Yep, that is an old version. The "old-style codes" no longer work with the weather.com API. After re-installing, you will need to open the Weather Meter settings, click the search button, and search for your location again. weather.com uses latitude and longitude now.

If you live in a large city with multiple weather.com observation stations, you can enter your home address for exact coordinates.
Image1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SilverAzide on November 1st, 2020, 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

jsmorley wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:48 pm That is definitely an old, out-of-date version of the skins.
ok - I will install the latest version of Gadgets and report back ...

thx all

(p.s. - same pc architecture, and i have no paranoia with my pc username embedded in a file fwiw :D )
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:47 pm This is particularly risky when moving from Windows 7, which allowed you to define a user name for the account when installing, and Windows 10, which doesn't (unless you jump through some hoops to avoid having it name it for you.).
So, it was indeed my mistake. Sorry...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: November 1st, 2020, 4:33 pmAight...
Yeah, I know. :lol: Probably a pointless precaution, but in my mind it also helps in "starting clean" with everything. I might be mistaken though - sorry for the slightly off topic intervention. Please carry on. :D
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth