It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:27 pm

Calendar Note Skins ... // skin#1 Update=1000 causes rainmeter to crawl // skin#2: Modifying input methods?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
strawberryshortcake

Calendar Note Skins ... // skin#1 Update=1000 causes rainmeter to crawl // skin#2: Modifying input methods?

Post by strawberryshortcake »

Note: I was looking for Calendar note skins. Found the following deviantart but it's no longer active, neither is the user I think: https://www.deviantart.com/r3ginald/art/Calendar-Notes-138348718

Found these instead:
Update=1000 causes rainmeter to crawl
First question, Does anyone know why this specific Calendar Note skin ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p3ie46m3zsjcke/Calendar.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FCalendar%2F%40Resources%2FNotes%2FNotes1.txt

... seemingly causes the rainmeter to come to a crawl when Update=1000. I had to set it to Update=5000 to keep things at least moving along. The second problem is that the day of the week starts on Monday instead of Sunday. I think it uses the inputplugin.

Modifying Input Method #1
How difficult /time consuming would it be to convert the following Calendar Note so the input process is a one step process.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/isnx8qjxc4klcmz/Arachnid%20%28crystal-black%29.7z?dl=0
As its currently constructed, clicking on the date, opens up notepad. User types something in that open notepad, saves it, and only then will it be displayed on the Calendar Skin. The first skin linked above in the preceding section) allows the user to do it in one step - type directly into the Calendar skin. This one uses the quoteplugin; the user needs to change the skinpath because the author's skinpath is specific to his computer system.

Modifying input method #2
The following ultra notes calendar is okay, however, I don't particular like how the input method works. If I want to revise anything, you must retype everything for that specific day. I had to fiddle with the code so Sunday is the first day. https://www.deviantart.com/alias-kanas/art/Ultra-Calendar-with-notes-Rainmeter-609915777

Example; Day 1: Need to do X.
IF I want to revise it, I must type "Need to do X and Y"
If I want to revise it again: I must type "Need to do X and Y and Z

I would rather just type "and Z" and it'll add it onto the original "Need to do X", to get "Need to do X and Z"
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Calendar Note Skins ... // skin#1 Update=1000 causes rainmeter to crawl // skin#2: Modifying input methods?

Post by balala »

Probably none won't be an easy thing. Rewriting such long skins as these is never easy for someone who is not the author. I don't say it's not possible, but definitely neither an easy thing is.
So I'm gonna promote again one of my previous works: the Calendar skin of my Mirage suite. In this skin, you can add events to each day (clicking the appropriate day) and you can set the added events to be shown only once, on the set date or to be repeated each year on the appropriate date. Additionally with a right click to a day you can add holidays. Give it a try if you are interested.
strawberryshortcake

Re: Calendar Note Skins ... // skin#1 Update=1000 causes rainmeter to crawl // skin#2: Modifying input methods?

balala wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:55 pm Probably none won't be an easy thing. Rewriting such long skins as these is never easy for someone who is not the author. I don't say it's not possible, but definitely neither an easy thing is.
So I'm gonna promote again one of my previous works: the Calendar skin of my Mirage suite. In this skin, you can add events to each day (clicking the appropriate day) and you can set the added events to be shown only once, on the set date or to be repeated each year on the appropriate date. Additionally with a right click to a day you can add holidays. Give it a try if you are interested.
I'll take a look at the Mirage skin. I've seen it on deviantart as well in the past. The one thing that stopped me from installing the skin in the past is because of the multiple flags on virustotal.com. Even if those may be false positive (but how would beginners determine if something is a false positive?), I think that why beginner's that come across might not be using it.

I'm still curious about the very first link though -- why does Update=1000 causes rainmeter to seemingly crawl. I had to put it at Update=5000.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

strawberryshortcake wrote: October 30th, 2020, 9:02 pm The one thing that stopped me from installing the skin in the past is because of the multiple flags on virustotal.com.
Never noticed, but I'm gonna take a look.
However I think I might assure you it has no viruses. It includes two executable addons (NirCmd.exe and identify.exe - part of ImageMagick) and 10 plugins, all downloaded from this forum - these are trustfull plugins, I'm using them from long time ago. Exept these, there are only .ini, .inc and .lua files and the resources - images, sounds, fonts and so on. So hope there are no viruses, but as said I'm gonna take a look tomorrow.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

strawberryshortcake wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:40 pm Note: I was looking for Calendar note skins.
Modifying input method #2
The following ultra notes calendar is okay, however, I don't particular like how the input method works. If I want to revise anything, you must retype everything for that specific day. I had to fiddle with the code so Sunday is the first day. https://www.deviantart.com/alias-kanas/art/Ultra-Calendar-with-notes-Rainmeter-609915777

Example; Day 1: Need to do X.
IF I want to revise it, I must type "Need to do X and Y"
If I want to revise it again: I must type "Need to do X and Y and Z

I would rather just type "and Z" and it'll add it onto the original "Need to do X", to get "Need to do X and Z"
That second skin is 11 years old and as you said, does not easily edit (opens notepad) :uhuh:

The last one you mentioned, Ultra-Calendar, lets you input notes directly in the skin and you DO NOT have to retype everything!

After clicking the current note, to preserve the original text, simply tap an arrow key, or re-click your mouse at the end of the current text, and start typing :) .

To add a new line hold 'Ctrl' when pressing 'Enter'.

If I was looking for a stand alone calendar made in Rainmeter, I would use Ultra-Calendar...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

eclectic-tech wrote: October 31st, 2020, 1:21 amIf I was looking for a stand alone calendar made in Rainmeter, I would use Ultra-Calendar...
Aren't they all "ultras"? :D
strawberryshortcake wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:40 pmThe second problem is that the day of the week starts on Monday instead of Sunday.
My calendar supports setting the weekday start to any weekday whatsoever (sorry, it's not an "ultra" skin, and didn't need or want to add events or notes to it, so it won't be suited for your needs). ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
strawberryshortcake

eclectic-tech wrote: October 31st, 2020, 1:21 am That second skin is 11 years old and as you said, does not easily edit (opens notepad) :uhuh:

The last one you mentioned, Ultra-Calendar, lets you input notes directly in the skin and you DO NOT have to retype everything!

After clicking the current note, to preserve the original text, simply tap an arrow key, or re-click your mouse at the end of the current text, and start typing :) .

To add a new line hold 'Ctrl' when pressing 'Enter'.

If I was looking for a stand alone calendar made in Rainmeter, I would use Ultra-Calendar...
The Ultra is actually pretty great. I only said 'ok' because I had to retype everything if I wanted to edit the day.

Good tip on 'Ctrl and Enter', but for some reason I still can't get the 'not having to retype everything' bit going. It still types over it. In the video, I'm hitting the arrow key, mousing far away from the initial text, but to no avail....
strawberryshortcake

Yincognito wrote: October 31st, 2020, 1:56 am Aren't they all "ultras"? :D

My calendar supports setting the weekday start to any weekday whatsoever (sorry, it's not an "ultra" skin, and didn't need or want to add events or notes to it, so it won't be suited for your needs). ;-)
Even if it won't suit my needs, this was a good opportunity to link and promote your calendar. :great:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

strawberryshortcake wrote: October 31st, 2020, 2:51 am Even if it won't suit my needs, this was a good opportunity to link and promote your calendar. :great:
Yeah, it was not meant to promote things, but rather to emphasize a feature I didn't see in many calendars (which usually handle just the Sunday vs Monday scenario)...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

Hi,

I have an old skin, Calendar Notes VR1 that you could possibly try and maybe it might be suitable (depending on what you are looking for). You can add a note for each day of the month and you can also add events :D.